GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These guys (and gals) are riding a minimum of 11,000 miles in 11 days. One of the "checkpoints" is in Jacksonville and I stopped by today to see what showed up. Here are some pics of the different bikes.

These first few are of the 1972 Triumph. Most didn't think he would make it out of Seattle at the start of the rally!

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
:bow:

All the power to them. They have a harder butt then me...

I did 565 miles yesterday in 12 hours. About wore me out.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
Great pics Bartman! Thanks for posting! Nice to be able to see some of it up close.:thumbup:

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Great pics Bart. I'd give anything to be 10 years younger and get in on an extreme ride like that even if it was not an IBR.

I hope some other GL1800riders will post some pics from more of the checkpoints.

:thumbup:

·
Licensed Tooth Torturer
4,686 Posts
Great pics, Bart. Thanks, Buddy! Wish I was there.

The Jacksonville checkpoint is #2 of three for the 2011 IBR. Next stop (the finish) is Ontario, CA, this Friday.

If you want to follow the action, the FJR forum has probably the best thread on the IBR here. Also, the Iron Butt Association's IBR site has daily reports here.

Jim Frens (on a GL1800) is just about to arrive a few minutes late for the 5:00 check-in, but apparently the only rider to have gone to Key West in leg two, giving him a real "leg up" on the competition.

It would be great to have a Gold Wing rider win. Friday night in Ontario will tell.

Stay tuned!

Observe safely.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Bartman,
I thought that white GL1800 pic on the FJR forum looked familiar....

·
Registered
999 Posts
Great pics Bart. I'd give anything to be 10 years younger and get in on an extreme ride like that even if it was not an IBR.
Certainly not in the same league by any stretch of the imagination, but a couple weeks ago the MTF did a "Flower Sniffin" ride around Lake Superior. 300 miles a day for 5 days - with the to/from it was 4200 miles for me. This distance suits me and wife just fine without being extreme. MTF has lots of members that are Long Distance Riders also. Great guys & gals.:thumbup:

·
Registered
861 Posts
They're finishing up in Ontario, CA which is about 35 miles from home. I'm really tempted to head over there on July 1 (IIRC) but Ontario, CA is a God-awful place to be on a Friday afternoon.

Ever see a car spit out a hairball? That's how bad it is!

If I do go, I'll drag a camera along with me an capture some photons.

·
Registered
394 Posts
We talk about lots of riding and saddle sore and bun burner distances, well, these men and women are truly part of a special breed.
I wish them safe travels.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
I didn't see but a couple 1800's, I guess all the rest were way ahead of the others...right Bart?;):thumbup::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
387 Posts
Bartman, thanks for posting the pics. I'm with some of the others here, I rode 730 miles in twelve hours once and pretty much had enough for the day.

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
How many CTs did you count?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts