GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I normally just post about the GL1800, but I thought I might go ahead and post this -- a little extra positive thoughts can never hurt.

I'm having surgery Tuesday morning at Memorial Hospital in Colorado Springs. The Doc will be entering the front of my neck to remove the disc at C3/4, replace it with a metal spacer and bone, and install a metal bracket between C3 and C4, i.e. the old spinal fusion trick. I have a good surgeon and all is set, so keep me in mind around 7:30-10:00am Mountain Time. If all goes really well I will come home on Wednesday afternoon (will be in ICU after the surgery), but could be in the hospital for a few days. I'm told that this will be very painful for the first several days and that I won't be able to talk much or eat solid foods. They have to move a lot of stuff around in the neck to get to the spine. The incision will also be a little larger than for most folks as I am a big guy and my vertebrae and discs are quite large. Will not be able to drive for at least six weeks, and here's the kicker, not on the bike for 12 weeks. At least it is winter here in CO, although I normally get out for a few days each month. Guess I will be sitting on the bike in the garage going Varoom, Varoom!

In retrospect, this thing has been coming on for the last 5 years or so, but I thought I was just getting old. The disc herniation had finally compressed the spinal cord to about half its normal size, but we did not do an MRI of the neck until I started getting some tingling/numbness in my hands and a pain in the neck. MRI showed the problem clearly and problems (i.e. unsteadiness/weakness) have increased over the past several weeks, so we decided that we could not wait until after the holidays for the surgery. Have gone into a little more detail than one might, but I thought that this description might be useful to others.

By-the-way, the trauma that probably started this process occured in October 1981 -- was a crazy bike rider back then. Came up over a blind hill MUCH too fast -- too many cars in the road -- no where to go -- and I found out the results of a "high side" before I even knew what a high-side was. Sure wish I had taken the MSF course before that day -- it would have helped. Anyway, I flew over a car landing on my head (thank God for a good helmet) and shoulder. I knew that I had compresed a couple of vertebrae, but they finally caught up with me. By the way, I fared much better than the KZ -- it went to the graveyard!

So, just think a few positive words for me tomorrow morning, and I hope to be back on the board in a week or so. Since I'll be stuck at home, somehow I think I'll be doing a lot of internet work.

Again, Happy Holidays to All!!!! By the way, it is snowing big time at my house right now. Just beautiful!!

:xmas1: :snow1: :xmas1: :snow1: :xmas1: :snow1:

·
Chard Member
12,962 Posts
Best of luck Dave........I've had many friends that have had similar operations! Most have been relieved of pain because of it!

We'll be looking for you to post as soon as you get home. We might have a good laugh out of your "Pain Killer Induced" post! LOL...

Best to you Brother.....Red

·
Registered
57 Posts
Under the Knife

Dave- Best of luck! Sounds like you have it all scoped out (pardon the pun). Hope you will be back with us in no time. We'll be thinkin' of you.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Under the knife...

Dave,
Best of luck to you, I am sure things will go well.
I look forward to your posts on this board when you are able to come back.
:yw1:

S

·
0 Posts
Dave,

You should come through just fine. I work with a person who had that done over a year ago and she feels so much better since getting cut.

You'll be fine bro!!

Keep your chin up (no pun intended)

:eek:4:

:p

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
Good luck to ya Dave, I had a friend of ours have a "similar" surgery back in Feb.

Except the Doc's went through his front (from top of sternum to the naval area :shock: ) moved ALL his organs out of the way to install a couple of titanium rods, then they stapled him back up. The doc's said if everything went well it should take about 8 hours, and if it DIDN'T go well it would take up to 14-16 hours. They did such a great job he was in recovery in 6 hours, made a lot of folks happy, he says now he feels better.

It's amazing what modern medicine can do now-a-days :clap2:

again good luck, try to stay off the bike for at least a week will ya :drive1:

·
Registered
321 Posts
Good luck Dave - will be thinking about you and look forward to seeing your posts back on the board.

Prayer is a most powerful tool - use it!

·
Registered
979 Posts
Dave

Heres to a quick recovery Dave, I had back surgery about 15 years ago due to an auto accident, 1 fused disc,Good luck its really not all that bad at least the overhaul is in riding off season :wink: :sw1: :sw1: :sw1:

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Good luck with your surgery Dave
:tools1: :s27:

Been in Penrose Main twice myself for lower back, Mitchell & Meinig(sp).
Last time they put in Bolts & Rods. After that one I was on the bike in a month but the neck is a little trickier. Been avoiding your situation myself and living with a numb thumb for a year now. I just can't see getting anything done till it gets worse but I understand that when it's time you just have to do it.

You'll have to drop by APEX for Coffee when you can. We'll be there with the dogs in tow most days at noon and will buy lunch when your able.

Jerry

G

·
0 Posts
I'll say a little prayer for ya.

Had a neck surgery in Oct 02. Get it out of the way so you will heal up before riding season.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Tahe knife

Wingnutzz.
I know what your going through. Good luck and we'll be pulling for you.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Good luck Dave. We will be thinking of you. We are looking forward to hearing from you as soon as you feel like getting back on line.

Rich

·
Registered
172 Posts
I'd say "Good luck Dave", but with all the prayers being offered you won't need luck.

We look forward to hearing about your successfull operation, and helping you pass your recovery time here.

God Bless

:rat: Bake

1 - 20 of 46 Posts