GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Leaving tomorrow (8/5) with a couple of friends from VA to the Flight 93 Memorial in PA, then upstate NY, across Lake Champlain on the ferry, through the Green Mtns of VT, the White Mtns (and Mt Washington) of NH, and into Bar Harbor. From there, down the Maine coastline to Kennebunkport to stay at the Bush compound (but I don't think the Secret Service will let us in). Then it's up to Lake Winnepesaukee in NH, and then back down into the Berkshires. We'll head through the Catskills before meandering back home.

All told, 9days, 8nights at a leisurely pace. I'll post a travelogue in this thread, but I don't think I can resize photos on my iPad to post em. That may have to wait until I get back.

Follow our progress here:

http://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=353a4e3a838c70513

(by the way, it's NOT the "main thing")

·
Registered
525 Posts
Envy you the ride. Have fun...be safe. Lived in Maine 4 years flying with VP-44 and loved it.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Sounds like a great trip !!!

If you have a google/picasa account, you can use something like ipicasso HD for the iPad. It lets you take photos from the iPad, and upload them into albums in you picasa account. You can then post them using the picasa links to any web location you wish.

Oops, looks like they renamed it to MyPics HD

Tom

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
kinda did that last week :thumbup:
went thru VT to Conway NH, then up rt 2 to Calais Mn.
rode rt 1 down the coast, back to NH, VT, NY, then home, 4 days , 1400 mi..
shhh, don't tell anybody, but, I did it on my Ultra....:eek:4::lol::lol::lol::lol:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Terrific!
I'm interested in following your travels and your routes. I've made similar travels to parts of where you're heading. Always interested in new routes!
OB

·
Registered
905 Posts
As a Connecticut Yankee and a New England traveling maniac .... I know you've got a GREAT RIDE planned .. Hope everything goes well and your weather is the BEST !
ENJOY !

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Day 1 - to State College, PA via Shanksville (Flt 93)

We started out ahead of schedule at about 8:20am from Waynesboro with cloudy, threatening skies and low clouds... an ominous beginning for our long adventure. We debated wearing rainsuits and decided not to, at least for now.

It seemed as though we were being chased into West Virginia on US33 by one storm cloud, but somehow we managed to avoid it. US33 is a magnificent motorcycle road, with terrific views, plenty of twisties, and much less traffic than US250, which runs east-to-west a little further south. Before heading over the first set of mountains, we were forced to don our rain gear and managed to duck under a church's entrance canopy to change.

Well, as every biker knows, putting on rain gear is a sure way to ward off the wet stuff, and sure enough, it worked like a charm. We rode to Franklin, WV, where we shedded our gear, grabbed refreshments, and visited a roadside fruitstand. We traded some ice for some free peaches, which were not quite ripe yet. Then it was up US220N to Cumberland, MD.

US220 is one of the best motorcycle roads I've ever ridden... sweeping curves and tremendous mountain views on both sides of the road. We took a detour up Mt Storm in WV to see a wind farm with huge windmills lining the ridge of the Alleghany Mtns. It was a pretty awesome sight, especially up close.

From there we took a couple of back roads before rejoining US220 and arrived in Cumberland a bit late. We searched for a restaurant called "When Pigs Fly", but as luck would have it, it went out of business, so we ended up at an inexpensive place called Klines with simple, good, cheap food.

From there, it was on to Shanksville, PA, home, of course, to the Flight 93 Memorial. They are in the process of constructing the permanent memorial, but it doesn't open until the 10th anniversary of the tragedy. The temporary memorial is somewhat disappointing, but still a poignant reminder of that fateful day.

We stayed for more than an hour, partly to take it in, partly to enjoy the cool breezes of the cold front moving in, but mostly because it looked like a strong thunderstorm was coming down upon us. When we arrived at the memorial, we covered the bikes, and we just watched the weather awhile and let the storm pass us by. It never really rained on us, and we donned our rain gear anyway because we were certain to ride on wet interstates on the way to State College.

The raingear worked like a charm again, as we skirted the rain again while riding on US30, US219, and I-99. We arrived in State College at 6:30pm after travelling about 320 miles. All in all, a good day, with lots of great views, lots of windmills in WV, MD, and PA, and really no close calls to speak of. We never got rained on, the skies were mostly cloudy all day which kept temperatures pretty comfortable, especially since we were wearing raingear for 50% of the time. The high temp on the Wing thermometer was 86 and the low was 73. The funny thing about that is they were taken probably 35 miles apart. That's the kind of weather-day it was.

Thanks, God, for keepin us safe today. On to upstate NY tomorrow! I'll try to post some pictures then.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Day 2 - to State College, PA

Can you say, "Rain?" Can you say, "Soaked?"

Those were the two words for this day. We left State College amid mist and a very light drizzle. The clouds were low and obstructed many of the scenic views the entire day.

We headed NE on Rt.150 and out into farmland and by their small, modern airport. We needed gas and stopped in a cute town with European influence in architecture called Bellefonte which had a creek running through the center of town.

We got back on US220N and as soon as we did, the rains came in earnest. It poured on us many times throughout the day, but probably not as bad as about 30 miles SW of Williamsport, which forced us under cover at a Sheetz for a spell.

We waited out the downpour and headed back down the road. We headed north on US15 from Williamsport which was a nicely paved, scenic divided highway. Unfortunately, the low clouds kept us from seeing those sights as we wound our way through the upper Poconos.

We had rainsuits on the entire day and because temperatures reached as low as 66 degrees, we had to stop once in Mansfield, PA just to warm up. The clouds would break for a short time and give us a brief glimpse of the beauty of the area we were travelling through, but it was truly unfortunate that we really couldn't enjoy the scenery.

We entered Corning, NY on one of those times that we thought the weather was breaking and ate a terrific lunch at Atlas Brick Oven Pizzeria. We walked around Corning but then a steady rain came again and forced us to decide to leave this cute town and head for our warm and dry motel in Geneva, NY.

After passing through Watkins Glen, we rode up Rt. 14 which travelled along the shores of Lake Geneva. After 35 miles of this, getting beautiful glimpses of the lake along the way, we reached the Ramada Inn at Geneva.

The hotel was just "ok", although our rooms has magnificent lake views. The evening was gorgeous... the skies parted, the sun came out and we enjoyed a shoreline sunset walk after a wonderful dinner at Halsey's Firehouse Bistro.

Even though it rained all day, it really was a fun, enjoyable day. Of what we saw, the scenery was beautiful, the company great, and food fabulous. After just 200 miles for this day, we were ready for Day 3, after, of coursse, a good night's sleep.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Day 3 - to Burlington, VT

I woke up early, went outside, and was greeted by partly cloudy skies, a pretty sunrise, and fog over the lake. We prepared to pack our bikes and I wiped down mine to clean it up a bit after the previous day's rainy grime. After doing so, I went back into the hotel to get the rest of my stuff, came back out, and it was pouring rain! What a depressing sight after the previous day's soaking!

After the rain stopped, we went back out to finish loading our bikes, checked the weather, and saw that we might be able to get ahead of an approaching storm cell... so off we went.

We headed directly north on county roads for the first 30 miles or so, winding our way through NY farm country. It was Sunday and we passed about 6 or 7 horse drawn Amish carriages going to church. The children waved to us as we passed with beaming faces, and that alone was a memory-maker.

We found Rt.3 and followed it along the shores of Lake Ontario, but got only a couple of nice glimpses of the huge lake. We then headed east and northeast toward the Adirondacks, but until we reached Saranac Lake, the ride was... well... sort of boring. SR3 runs through a sort of wilderness and certainly looks like deer country, but we only saw three way back in a field. I wouldn't want to pass through there at dawn or dusk though.

Once we reached Saranac Lake and Lake Placid, the scenery was magnificent. The lakes are crystal clear, the streams are full of life, and the mountains rising out of them are majestic.

We were somewhat tired by the time we reached Lake Placid, so we joined the throngs of tourists shopping for soviniers. The weather had finally broken and really the entire day was just a beautiful day in upstate NY. We spent only 45 minutes in Lake Placid because we wanted to catch the 5:15pm ferry from Port Kent, NY to Burlington, VT. Route 9 from Lake Placid was a terrific motorcycle road with mountains on both sides, many times running along streams.

We arrived at the ferry docks with a half hour to spare... whew! The hour-long ferry ride was smooth as silk and quite relaxing after a hard day's ride of about 300 miles. After disembarking the ferry we climbed through downtown Burlington, passed the Univ of Vt, and arrived at the LaQuinta Inn only 10 minutes later.

After a delicious Olive Garden meal, we turned in satisfied to refresh and prepare for tomorrow's ride through the Green Mountains and into New Hampshire.

Attachments

·
Registered
171 Posts
Glad to see your updates.
I've enjoyed riding through the Adirondacks--and just last month crossed Lake Champlain on the ferry just south of yours--at Essex, NY. Vermont can be beautiful, but some of their roads are tough--frost heaves, I guess. Loved New Hampshire.
Hope sunny skies prevail for the rest of the trip--keep us posted.
OB

·
Registered
546 Posts
I envy you this trip!!!! I didn't know that there were any other long distance riders (I did the Lake Superior Loop last month.) in The Valley!

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Day 4 - to Glen, NH in the White Mountains

Today was EASILY everyone's favorite day so far.

The weather was threatening in Burlington as we prepared to leave. In fact, it had just rained an hour earlier and according to the weather maps, it looked like we were going to get wet the entire day.

WRONG! The weather ended up being spectacular the entire day. Temperatures were in the low-to-mid-70's all day. We headed south from Burlington and immediately confirmed what this forum has been saying all along... Vermont has some VERY rough roads. We dodged frost heave cracks and potholes most of the time, and think some of the wiring on my trailer may have suffered because, according to my riding buddy behind me, my left brake light is intermittent.

Aside from the roads, the sights were the best so far. We journeyed through some beautiful Vermont countryside with large dairy farms, idyllic small towns, and, seemingly, an endless supply of roadside streams. Our plan was to take a north-to-south zigzag through the central portion of VT, mainly through the Green Mountains.

We stopped at Ripton at a roadside general store and picked up some syrup and soveneirs. Later, we stopped at a covered bridge for a photo op, and made our way slowly through the mountains and onto SR100, a terrific motorcycle road that was in good shape (for VT).

We stopped in Waterbury for lunch at Maxi's (so-so) before going to the Ben & Jerry's Factory. We got to the crowded factory at 1:15, and the earliest tour they had available was at 2:30. So we relaxed, ate ice cream and enjoyed the cool Vermont breeze. The tour was inexpensive and somewhat entertaining, but we didn't leave until just before 4pm and still had 3 hours of riding to go to get to the foot of Mt. Washington in Glen, NH.

That ride from Waterbury to Glen was amazing! As we entered the White Mountains, they were so majestic, rising up on both sides of the road, with water cascading down the steep rock facing just above. Incidentally, the roads around the White Mountains are in nearly perfect conditon and perfect for bikers.

We stayed overnight at the Covered Bridge House, a quiet spot about 15 miles from the Mt. Washington Auto Road, which we'll hit at about 10am tomorrow after a good, hearty breakfast at this B&B. Can't wait! (and the weather looks good - crossing my fingers)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Day 5 - to Bar Harbor, ME

We are sorry to leave the beautiful White Mountains so soon. You could, like many mountainous areas of the country, spend quite a few days here riding and hiking and taking in the beauty everywhere.

It's been 39 years since I've been here. I spent four summers in Maine at summer camp and one year we climbed Mt. Washington. That was an indelible memory, staying in the Madison Huts on Mt. Madison before trekking over to the highest peak - Washington, at 6288 ft., the highest in the East. Today, we get to ride it!

First, the rapidly-changing weather has to be dry, and it was... in fact, it was glorious! We got there early, paid the $15 fee (and got the bumper sticker) and headed up. The first 2/3 is paved and once you get near the timberline, where the trees cease to exist, it narrows and turns to dirt for about 3/4 of a mile. There's no guardrails and plenty of turnouts to cool the bikes and take pictures. Getting there early was an advantage: no traffic coming down and light crowds.

The last mile and a half is paved again and we made it to the summit parking areas which have large rocks here and there making keeping your bike upright a challenge at times. There's plenty to see up there... observation decks, museum, stores, etc. A lot more than 39 years ago. In the group photo below, I'm on the far left (as if anyone cares).

When we came down to the entrance gate, the line of cars going up was about a 1/4 long and getting longer and we were so glad to get there early.

I stopped at the base parking area to reattach my trailer and off we went! Onto Maine we go! We headed north and then east to Bethel, ME, where we stpped for lunch. We continued east on various two-lane roads and they reminded me of VT... a bit rough.

We went through Augusta and then stopped at North Country Harley-Davidson/Honda (quite a combination) because one in our group said that if we saw a dealership on our route, he'd like to check and see if he could get a new rear tire put on.

They fit him in after about a half hour wait, tried loading his Wing on a lift, and promptly dropped it on its right side, scratching his right side saddlebag. It also fell on the technician, a big guy who said he was fine, but it rested on his leg for about 10 sec before others came to his rescue. He'll have a bruise, for sure.

An hour later they had finished with the tire and then tried buffing out the scratch. They did a decent job at that, satisfying my buddy, and we continued on to "Bah Hahbah".

It got to be about 7pm, so we stopped in Ellsworth, a cute town, on the route in. We ate at Union River Lobster Pot, a great and popular local place with fresh seqfood and lobster ranging in sizes from one pound to 3.25 pounds, which they steamed out back. Yum!

After dinner, we headed into Bar Harbor in the dark, arriving at the Atlantic Eyrie Lodge at about 9:15 and worn out. We battoned down the hatches because our old friend was back tomorrow... RAIN.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Day 6 - to Kennebunkport, ME

We wake up, open the curtains to expose the great views from the Atlantic Eyrie Lodge in Bar Harbor and what do we see? Rain, of course.

This "Maine Thing Ride" has truned into the "Rain Thing" ride! :x Today, it's raining first thing and we pack the bikes in the parking lot in the rain. So, we stick to the plan, which is to head into Acadia National Park and then head south down the Maine coastline.

Acadia is magnificent, even in the rain. As we neared Thunder Hole, a popular stop, the rain ceased, and never started again while we were in the park. We stopped at numerous places, got out, walked on several of the places along the shore, and took numerous photos.

Pictures were hard to get today and on all the rainy days... I didn't want to get my phone wet.

After doing the Loop Road, we headed into Bar Harbor, and since it wasn't raining, walked the streets a bit. I'm sort of glad We didn't spend more time there... I would've spent more money.

We headed out toward Ellsworth and then down Rt. 3 and then US1. The rain picked back up and rained steady virtually the entire day. There was terrible traffic along US1 in Camden and the other quaint towns along that route.

Note to self: don't go down US1 in Portland during the afternoon rush. Gridlock in the wharf area. We visited Portland Head Light and then got into Kennebunkport late and had a late dinner.

Not a horrible day but probably the worst thus far. Better weather tomorrow!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Day 7 - to Troy, NY via the Berkshires

We left our accomodations at Kennebunkport - The Lodge at Turbat's Creek, an underwhelming, but adequate inn - and headed a mile down the road to the Bush Compound. According to the locals, George and Barbara Bush are in town, and when we stopped there was plenty of activity at the estate for 8:30 in the morning. It's evidently a popular place to jog, because there were probably a dozen folks jogging down the road that their main gate is located on.

We stopped there to take photos and take in more salt air and fantastic views. A sign there said 15 min only parking and I think our stop prompted the Secret Service to action, if only routine manuevers. We were taking photos and noticed a boat come around the point to and stopped and anchored just off our location. We finished our photos and then headed through Kennebunkport and Kennebunk and headed north toward Lake Winnepesaukee in New Hampshire. We went through that area, enjoyed the lake views and stopped for a break near Laconia.

We headed down Rt.127 from Franklin, NH, a road I don't recommend, evoking memories of the roads in Vermont. After, that it was down US202 and Rt.9 to Keene for lunch. Then Rt.10 and I-91S to the exit for the Mohawk Trail in Massachusetts.

The Mohawk Trail is a fabulous road winding its way up and down with mostly sweepers through the Berkshires. It was sunny and in the low-70's and ideal riding weather.

Coming out of the Berkshires, we stayed on Rt.2 into NY state and into Troy, a suburb of Albany, staying at the very nice Best Western Franklin Plaza.

A great day!

Tomorrow... looking forward to more nice weather.

Attachments

·
Registered
905 Posts
A quick note to let you know I really appreciate your posting this trip .. you haven't been to a place in your trip I haven't been to numerous times ! Two weeks ago I tried 3 days in a row to get to the top of Mt Washington and was turned back at the base .. You were lucky !
Happy Trails, good weather .. and thanks again .. :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts