i have 200 dollars for two helmets

·
Registered
267 Posts
HJC model AC3. We love them.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
if a person is going to wear a helmet, i wouldnt wear a $ 100 version. there are reasons that soem cost 300-400 or more.

the better the fit, the better the overall protection. to make a helmet sell for $ 100, they need to leave out something. a poor helmet may be worse than no helmet, much like an improperly used seat belt.

ill trust my mellon to $400 shoei.

loren

·
Registered
175 Posts

·
Registered
550 Posts
helmet

HJC AC-3 - a terrific helmet with a flip down shield for the winter.
Good luck.

·
Young Buck
2,551 Posts
Helmets are like shoes... you need to try them on first, and wear them for a while before deciding if it actually does fit. You may not find a $100 helmet that fits well, or is comfortable.

A helmet that is comfortable for me... may be absolute misery for you.

There is nothing worse than an uncomfortable helmet. And an uncomortable helmet that sits on the shelf isn't worth anything.

·
Registered
136 Posts
For a 3/4 helmet the HJC AC-3 is the best bang for the buck. It has ear pockets for speakers, an attached shield that can move up or down, lightweight, Snell & DOT approved, and a very good air venting system. For a full face the HJC AC-11 has all the features of the AC-3.
Randy F
'02 Silver

·
Vendor
21,893 Posts
Consider me another vote for the $100 HJC AC-3 (from HelmetCity).
http://www.helmetcity.com/

I have been using $500 Arai full face helmets for years now, and while it takes some getting used to wearing an open face helmet for me, the HJC is close to being as comfortable as my $500 Arai. Except that the HJC has some features the $500 Arai does not. Like a removable liner for one. And extremely deep ear pockets for headsets. You can actually mount a $7 LabTech 820 Elite headset in the HJC (from CompUsa).
http://www.compusa.com/products/product ... 5&pfp=cat3
These headsets are too large for most other helmets. The optional face shield is also a nice thing to have.

While I still think I prefer full face over open face helmets, the HJC seem to be real good helmets. They pass the same standards that the open face Arai and Shoei do and will offer just as good protection as they do. Shoe and Arai seem to use a bit softer liner though. Sometimes I think both those companies have begun to fall back on their name and have not kept up to pace with modern helmet designs. Arai only offers a removable liner on its top of the line $600 helmet, yet HJC puts it in a $100 helmet. This is a nice feature if you ride in southern climates. I seem to stink up a helmet in just one day of riding in 95 degree heat. Being able to pull the liner and wash it out is a big plus. I can't believe Arai is selling $400 helmets that don't have removable liners. While I like the Arai's, sometimes I think you are paying an extra $200 just for the name. Same can be said for Shoei.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Shoei, Arai, HJC are all good helmets. Difference in price is easy to explain, just look in any motorcycle magazine and pay attention to the adds. Compare Shoei, Arai adds to HJC (if you find any for HJC). Nuff said!!

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
Check the Fulmer line. They have several in the $100 range that are SNELL approved. I just bought a Fulmer Modus(flip) for $129. This one is DOT approved but not Snell. No flip helmets are Snell approved.

JMHO: A helmet is like any other product that must meet a safety standard. All that meet the standard will be about the same so far as safety is concerned. What you pay the premium price for is style, features and the cost of marketing. The cost of marketing drives the price through the roof. HD is an example of this. I like Fulmer for this reason. You rarely see their ads yet they meet the same safety standards.

·
Registered
267 Posts
how do the sizes run..are they big? It is hard to order a helmet on line do to the fit and all. Do they have speaker pockets?

·
Registered
93 Posts
HJC AC3

Don wrote:

I'm willing to be they are DOT approved but not Snell approved.
Don...Here's a little copy and paste from HJC's web site that you might want to read before you make that bet....lol

HJC's finest tourer, the AC-3.
• DOT/SNELL M2000 approved fiberglass weave construction

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Snell rating

Troy

Which flip-front modular helmet are you saying is SNELL rated???

HJC add says theirs is DOT.

I could not find a single SNELL rated flip up helmet.

What did I miss?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
IR Harry,
I think Troy was referring to the AC-3. This one is Snell approved.

I talked to a technician at Fulmer during my research for a new helmet. The Snell certification was discussed. The reason Fulmer's and apparently all other flip helmets are not Snell approved is due to the "Chin Impact Test". The tech said no flip helmet could pass this test. I am guessing here that since flip helmets have a chin they must be tested like a full helmet. The other thought that comes to mind is that a certification could be written for flips but this would be very expensive. No one may be willing to foot the bill.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts