GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All,
I thought it worthy of a separate/new post regarding a solution for those of us who lead rides and need to be able to create and share complex customized routes. I give all the credit for this discovery to TomCat on this board who brought it to my attention. If you don't want to go out and buy a separate GPS (i.e. Zumo) and/or don't care to be adding anything that breaks up the clean lines of the bike, I urge you to consider....

Myrouteapp Here is a link: www.myrouteapp.com

It is not free. Myrouteapp is a European company and I paid E113 (can't find the symbol for Euros) which equates to about $131 USD for 3 years of the Gold Subscription. The Gold subscription brings a ton of functionality which I will use a great deal of. There are a bunch of tutorial videos on the site which get you up and running fairly quickly with creating, uploading, downloading and sharing route. Routes can be saved in a variety of formats, though for the 2018 GW I recommend gpx 1.1 version. Another note: One of the first things most of us (US based) will want to do, is to go into profile..edit..and change from metric (km) to imperial (mi).

The app is super functional and (after a couple videos) very easy to use. You can import routes given to you from a friend. It is super easy to modify those routes (e.g. adding a leg from your home to the starting point of the route). It is easy to reorder waypoints or to move waypoints. There is even a feature called "optimization" that basically makes sure all of your waypoints are on the road! Very handy to prevent those "whifferdills" as I call them which are mistakes we make when not diligently laying down our waypoints. Another very cool feature is "expand" found in the "tool kit" dropdown. With "expand" you can increase the number of waypoints on the route. This is handy as there is still no real fix with the 18GW when you fail to sequence a waypoint. The onboard nav will continue to insist you reverse to go back to the unsequenced WP. By adding waypoints, you dramatically increase the odds that your route will remain unaffected when you delete that unsequenced WP. A pretty slick feature if you ask me.

So...If you are someone who needs to be able to create, share, upload from a friend, a complex customized route, this is it! I used it yesterday and (finally) my onboard nav system worked flawlessly in following a custom route.

I highly recommend it!

Cheers,
Matt

PS Thanks TomCat!

·
Registered
557 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, it is easy to do everything: upload an existing route, create a route, and when you bring it to the bike, the route does not get modified as I have been frustrated to see with Honda Trip Planner or mapsource or basecamp. Plus it is LOADED with useful features that the others just don't have, such as the expand and optimization features.

It just seems to work correctly from the git-go. I know with other apps, I would upload a friends customized route and the app would modify it somehow. Very frustrating if you are trying to lead a ride from a route that someone else created, which I do all the time.

Check out some of the videos on the site. I am impressed with how well it works.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use myrouteapp for all my trips. I lead a group of up to 25 bikes at a time on week long trips. I tried all the others but it was the best to use for waypoints and ease of use. I have not tried the HD trip planner but i heard it's pretty good.

Reactions: RickLB

·
Registered
205 Posts
I checked myrouteapp out awhile back and although it was quite good cannot see paying for it. It does not even have the option of 'PAVED ROADS ONLY' that I could find.

It just does not do anymore than the Honda Trip Planner or Harley Ride Planner that are free.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I use the free version. Because i was able to name waypoints was my biggest reason for using it. The others would not let me do that.

·
Registered
242 Posts
I'm currently doing the two week free trial of MyRouteapp. So far I really like it. I agree with MattC2018 that it is so much easier to use than HTP or Basecamp and has many more features.

A couple questions for those of you that are using it.

1. When building a route, which of the maps do you use. (the program offers four different maps), I'm thinking Google or HERE which is Garmin compatible. I've found that if you use the HERE map, you can tell it to avoid unpaved roads. This is a real big plus.

2. On the intro webinar, it was suggested to import your route to the bike gps, in most cases, as a track instead of a route. I tried it, but haven't had time to actually ride since I imported it as a track. You have to go to a different menu to import a track, but it's easy. Just look on p. 36 of the Navigation manual. It was stated that the gps will not re-route your original route, as it's a track, so it will follow it without any changes. Have any of you tried that. That would be a big plus too.

·
Registered
808 Posts
It does look good, but I'm not sure for just building my own routes for myself (which is what I do) that it'd offer too much more than Sygic and CarPlay. I might give it a try one day though, we'll see

·
Registered
72 Posts
I'm currently doing the two week free trial of MyRouteapp. So far I really like it. I agree with MattC2018 that it is so much easier to use than HTP or Basecamp and has many more features.

A couple questions for those of you that are using it.

1. When building a route, which of the maps do you use. (the program offers four different maps), I'm thinking Google or HERE which is Garmin compatible. I've found that if you use the HERE map, you can tell it to avoid unpaved roads. This is a real big plus.

2. On the intro webinar, it was suggested to import your route to the bike gps, in most cases, as a track instead of a route. I tried it, but haven't had time to actually ride since I imported it as a track. You have to go to a different menu to import a track, but it's easy. Just look on p. 36 of the Navigation manual. It was stated that the gps will not re-route your original route, as it's a track, so it will follow it without any changes. Have any of you tried that. That would be a big plus too.

I've been using it for about a year and I usually use the Google maps. I believe the only difference is the logic in constructing the route. Using HERE would construct a route the same as if you had entered an address in your Garmin. That would be assuming you are just adding a start and finish address. But, I construct my routes with MyRouteapp in one tab and Google Earth in another just to check and see if some of the back roads I choose are actually paved.

I'll have to try the "track" instead of the "route" export option to see how that goes. Exporting as a route has worked every time for me but as I mentioned in the first thread you need to be meticulous when placing waypoints and make sure they are dead on the desired road. Also, to defeat the accuracy issue of the NAVI, move your starting point about 300 to 500 feet from where you are actually starting from and you will have a great ride.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I checked myrouteapp out awhile back and although it was quite good cannot see paying for it. It does not even have the option of 'PAVED ROADS ONLY' that I could find.

It just does not do anymore than the Honda Trip Planner or Harley Ride Planner that are free.

I believe that Greg has found an option for "Paved Only". You won't find it in the free version because you don't have access to the different maps that you can use. Just do the free 30 day trial of the Gold version and see if selecting the HERE maps for planning doesn't have it.

I have used the Harley and Honda planner extensively. In no way will they compete with MyRouteapp for features and ease of use.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Just curious, what makes this app work so much better?

Fred,

Give it a whirl. Check out the videos on the web site (webinars), do a free subscription and then do the 30 day free trial of the Gold subscription. Doesn't cost a penny and you can see for yourself. It so full of features that are useful but then I plan 30 day 8000+ mile trips that avoid interstates at all cost.

Bill

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
I've been using it for about a year and I usually use the Google maps. I believe the only difference is the logic in constructing the route. Using HERE would construct a route the same as if you had entered an address in your Garmin. That would be assuming you are just adding a start and finish address. But, I construct my routes with MyRouteapp in one tab and Google Earth in another just to check and see if some of the back roads I choose are actually paved.

I'll have to try the "track" instead of the "route" export option to see how that goes. Exporting as a route has worked every time for me but as I mentioned in the first thread you need to be meticulous when placing waypoints and make sure they are dead on the desired road. Also, to defeat the accuracy issue of the NAVI, move your starting point about 300 to 500 feet from where you are actually starting from and you will have a great ride.

Try it without entering your current location at all.

Make the first programmed point the first intermediate destination.

If the ride is a loop, the last point will, of course, be the current location.

When the route is started it will always guide you from you current location to the first intermediate point -- no matter where you are when you select 'GO'. There is no need to program in the 'current' location.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Maybe this is not the location for this question, but here goes! I towed my 19 Wing to Myrtle Beach then rode to Daytona for bike week. I put MB as my home!~ Now Im back in Pa., and cannot get MB off as my home page!!! How the heck do you delete it???
Thanks
Don

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
You can save any location as home, using same method as saving as a favorite.

Search (by any method) and find a location you want to store/save/delete. (any new search or recent find can be used)
(if using map and cursor to select current location, bump the cursor a little, since it won't 'find' the current location. Resulting location will be a few feet wrong, but it will work)

Then Push and Hold ENT button on handlebar or centre knob;

On the screen that pops up move the cursor and select the option you want.

You're done.

·
Registered
7,562 Posts
Maybe this is not the location for this question, but here goes! I towed my 19 Wing to Myrtle Beach then rode to Daytona for bike week. I put MB as my home!~ Now Im back in Pa., and cannot get MB off as my home page!!! How the heck do you delete it???
Thanks
Don

Search (by any method) and find a location you want to store/save/delete. (any new search or recent find can be used)
(if using map and cursor to select current location, bump the cursor a little, since it won't 'find' the current location. Resulting location will be a few feet wrong, but it will work)

You're done.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try it without entering your current location at all.

Make the first programmed point the first intermediate destination.

If the ride is a loop, the last point will, of course, be the current location.

When the route is started it will always guide you from you current location to the first intermediate point -- no matter where you are when you select 'GO'. There is no need to program in the 'current' location.
That works too.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I have been trying out and using MyRouteApp the last couple of days and man that thing has some serious problems.

I would plot a simple A to B route down a freeway and it would have me exit and get right back on.
It was a constant battle to get it to route me where I want to go without adding a hundred waypoints.

I had to go back to using the Honda Trip Planner.

·
Registered
181 Posts

You're done.
I did finally figure it out!! Thanks for the reply! Ride Safe!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
FYI: If you are interested in purchasing Myrouteapp, Google - Myrouteapp discount code. I got a code and after my free trial period, I decided to purchase. With the discount code, I purchased 3 years for $65.13 US. That's just under $22.00 per year.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts