GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...... that when I hit one, I broke an Australian bloke's feet.

........... that our highway crews have started stocking them with trout.

................ that when I found a helmet sitting on the road and picked it up, there was a head underneath, the head started talking, "Call a wrecker, I'm on a Gold Wing!"

prs (Who has the cabin fever and it is snowing again!)

·
Registered
7,379 Posts
Would you care to try swapping snow fall amounts??? :twisted:

Or road conditions?? You can always tell when you enter Michigan from a neighboring state just by the way the feel of the road changes.

And I'm stuck inside also. :tongue:

·
Registered
928 Posts
Another AMEN from MI. Roads are worse than most of us have ever seen, the snow is getting real old, and my scoot is patiently waiting to be put back on the ground and started. This will be one of the best Springs as all of us North of the Mason/Dixon line are ready to get out and ride. Hang tough ya'll we'll all make it and if not we can log on and create havoc with our bad cases of PMS.

Crabby Bob :twisted:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Being from Maine I have first hand knowledge of what pot holes are.
In addition to those we had to deal with "mud season".
That is when the rain starts in the spring and melts all the snow very fast.
The dirt road that I grew up on was exceptionally nasty and the mud got deep.
I recall one day, while standing on the side of the road trying to decide if it was safe to cross, I saw something coming down the middle of the road towards me.
When it got closer I realized it was a hat.
It got right up to where I was standing and stopped.
I reached down and picked it up.......
There was my neighbor farmer john.
"Mud's kinda deep for walkin' taint it John?" I said.
"I taint walkin" he replied. I'm on hoss-back."

·
Registered
928 Posts

Good one, thanks for the grin. If you can't giggle once in a while - life just ain't worth it.

Ride safely

Crabby Bob :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,645 Posts
Being from Maine I have first hand knowledge of what pot holes are.
In addition to those we had to deal with "mud season".
That is when the rain starts in the spring and melts all the snow very fast.
The dirt road that I grew up on was exceptionally nasty and the mud got deep.
I recall one day, while standing on the side of the road trying to decide if it was safe to cross, I saw something coming down the middle of the road towards me.
When it got closer I realized it was a hat.
It got right up to where I was standing and stopped.
I reached down and picked it up.......
There was my neighbor farmer john.
:agree: Roads are really bad this year. Hope the heaves go away after the thaw.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
Pot holes are so bad here, makes me not want to ride.... (ya know that got to be bad):cus:

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
From past experience, I can attest to the roads changing when one enters MI, but even within MI, you can tell when you get to Flint as the roads change again, and not for the better.

·
Registered
3,809 Posts
I agree we went to Above Charleston to pick you a new to us bike in Ravenswood and the W Va Turnpike is unbelievable and to think you have to pay for the opportunity to dodge pot holes. What do they do with all the money they collect.

·
Registered
779 Posts
In Nashville TN I passed one the other day that had a Cadillac dealership in it!

·
Registered
247 Posts
Another AMEN from MI. Roads are worse than most of us have ever seen, the snow is getting real old, and my scoot is patiently waiting to be put back on the ground and started. This will be one of the best Springs as all of us North of the Mason/Dixon line are ready to get out and ride. Hang tough ya'll we'll all make it and if not we can log on and create havoc with our bad cases of PMS.

Crabby Bob :twisted:
Amen to that!!! I'm ready to roll but we have so much sand and gravel on the roads yet from the winter that I'm not real keen on getting out yet not to mention the pot holes issue. They aren't that bad around here but they still need to be fixed. Supposed to get up around 50 today so most of the snow should be near gone with the exception of the road ditches and treelines. But I'm prepping the wing anyway but I suspect it'll be another two or three weeks :evil:

·
Registered
16,862 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I agree we went to Above Charleston to pick you a new to us bike in Ravenswood and the W Va Turnpike is unbelievable and to think you have to pay for the opportunity to dodge pot holes. What do they do with all the money they collect.
The Turnpike Authority was set-up as its own division of state government back in the 1950's. The money they collected was supposed to be used to pay-off the bonds issued when that road was built, which was quite high because a very long set of twin tunnels was built toward the Charleston end to avoid that curvy and steep section that now by-passes the tunnels. Well, they did pay-off the bonds on time, plus they created a sustaining bureaucracy with very high executive salaries, full benefits, and very liberal retirement. There was a time when they had so much excess money that they decided to build Tamarack, a high end tourist attraction near Beckley and most likely a juicy kick-back scheme for the folks in control of the Authority. But, as health care and retirement burdens began to kick in, the vast amount of collections could not keep-up. "Gee, we can't remove the tolls because we have all of this legacy expense and we need to raise them to maintain the highway". Isn't that typical of government, its like a malignant cancer. However, the old back roads paralleling the Turnpike are prime twisties and free to travel.

prs

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
They use it to pay Mr. Pot to dig the holes.
You don't think he digs all these pot holes for free do you?

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
Man!! I feel bad about complaining about sand...gravel and rock salt on the roads around here! I feel for you all up north!

I am also getting flash backs when I lived in NH...frost heeves!! :22yikes: One got find themselves deep in the woods if you wasn't careful!! :shock:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts