GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 GL1800 with 16,000 miles on her. I tend to ride fast, 80+ as allowed by the road and enjoy spirited rides in the twisties. I also like to take long rides 10-12 hours in the saddle is not unusual on a trip. The longer I've had the bike, the more I have noticed the buffeting of my helmet when running at 70 MPH or faster. It's not really awful but after a 10 hour day it becomes more of a problem, with fatigue setting in after 8 hours for me.

FYI my preference is to look over the windshield and not through it. I am 5' 11". For reference I often ride the 1800 with the windshield in the lowest position, sometimes in the winter I will kick it up one notch. For this test the stock windshield was in the lowest setting.

So for the past 8 months I've read and watched with great interest comments about and research in regard to the Wind Bender. So yesterday I get a chance to try out a buddy's Wind Bender (he had it in his garage and had never installed it so we were both interested in its performance). I made sure that at a minimum I tried the windshield at a height which was equavelent to the stock windshield being up 1 notch.

I am shocked to report that for me the buffeting was worse than the stock windsheld. I have experience with experimentation (Chemistry and Physics degree :^) and after reading about the physics of the Wind Bender's designed I fully expected it to provide serious relief from buffeting. I tried every combination of changing the heights of the lower windshield in connection with the upper windshield. (the lower windsheld in the lowest position with the top windshield in the 3rd position. Then with the top windshield in the lowest position and the lower shield in the third position. None of the changes that I made over the course of a 3 hour ride provided anything close to a significant improvement over the stock windsheld. As a matter of fact, I concluded that the for me the stock windshield performed better than the Wind Bender.

Now grant it, I did not ever allow the windsheld settings to be taller than the same height as the stock windsheld being 1 notch up from the lowest setting.

Thus if you are of medium height, and like to look over the windsheld it is likely based on my experience that you will not find a significant improvement from the use of a Wind Bender.

Since I still have access to the Wind Bender, those of you who think it provides a reduction in buffeting, I welcome any input on setups that you may have found that work for you. Rats.....I really wanted this to work!

·
Registered
61 Posts
I am 6'4" long in torso and have run a windbender for 50,000 + miles in all kinds of weather. It is not perfect but far better than stock shield

I have the electric version so I can fine tune it while riding

I have teh bottom part mounted as high as possible to give maximum height - I can still see over the shield

Would I buy another ........absolutely

Bill Watt
Vancouver, BC

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have had the wide body for over a year and over 25000 miles and I love it. Also the wife thinks it is better for her. I am 6 1 and ride with the windshield down and the top portion in the lowest position. I do that in all circumstances and have no problems.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Which model of Windbender did you try, HP, HP-S or ST?

While I love my Windbender, the different models can make a significant difference. I'm 5'10", but I have a short torso and long legs. That probably makes me closer to some one who is 5'8" and is normally proportioned. I'm using the HP-S.

Buffeting is a very subjective thing. I don't really notice a great difference between stock and my Windbender in buffeting...well actually it depends. In calm weather the Windbender is better. With crosswinds, all bets are off. A crosswind changes the dynamics of the test significantly.

In the end it only matters what you like and everyone is different. I like the Windbender.

·
Registered
7,613 Posts
bnickle said:
I have a 2005 GL1800 with 16,000 miles on her. I tend to ride fast, 80+ as allowed by the road and enjoy spirited rides in the twisties.

I am shocked to report that for me the buffeting was worse than the stock windsheld.

Since I still have access to the Wind Bender, those of you who think it provides a reduction in buffeting, I welcome any input on setups that you may have found that work for you. Rats.....I really wanted this to work!
Unfortunately, I have to agree with you. It reduces or kills buffeting below 45-50mph (dead air behind it, very nice). Above 50-80, no better than stock. Above 80-?? it is absolutely nasty. I experienced such horrible windlash that I could not even see. Like being slapped in the face by 100 angry women. And, yes, I had the wide one.

I took the very next exit off the interstate, rode directly home and re-installed the stocker. I now have the F4 in stock size and luv it. It's stiffer than stock and actually makes the bike a bit more stable at the speeds that you and I like to ride. :cop2:

·
Registered
20,945 Posts
Brad

thanks for your report

lots of folks have bought the windbender and claimed it really helped but a month or 2 later they have it forsale in the classifieds

one thing forsure is different folks have different results, i have pretty much lost interest in spending my money on a windbender

·
Registered
2,336 Posts
i had to try it

I had the hp plus 4 for 500 miles or so, and went back to tulsa, now am running the standard model plus 4, and am happy with my choice.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I also have the wide electric Windbender. It was preceeded by the stock windshield and a Cee Bailey. It is better for me at any speed up to 125. That includes one 70 mile stretch in Utah with the cruise control set at 90.

I set mine so I can see over it at the highest setting. I normally use the highest setting at higher speeds.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I went the web site and it appears that I test drove the Windbender HP model.

As for my helmet I have an 2006 Arai Profile which is one of Arai's narrow helmets. On and FJ 1200 the helmet is fine out in the wind. It's also fine behind the GREAT windsheld of the ST1300 (WHY CAN"T WE HAVE THIS KIND OF SETUP ON A GL1800!!!!). I really don't think its the helmet.

I guess I'm going to try out maybe the new Tulsa, F4 or a Cee Baily's.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hey, if your you or your buddy decide you don't want the set up, I'm interested.

I think the HP would be great on hot summer days cruzin the back roads & having the option of a little wind in the face. But I would still want the ST for most of my riding including the xways.

Can't say my thoughts are hands on experience. Don't have one(yet), just reading every post I can find about it. Most seem to like it well except for the minor wind noise.

·
Registered
931 Posts
Brad --

I have both the HP and the WIDE ST. I found both to be better than the stock shield relative to buffeting and the wide ST the (much) better of the two. But I could not handle the excessive noise above 75mph (above 70mph for the HP) -- although I never found the buffeting a problem. Sounds contradictory but not to my ears. I've worn both a Shoei RF800 and now an Arai Profile along with ear plugs.

If I didn't ride over 75mph very often, the WB would be gold. But I'm often over 75mph.

I'm now using a Tulsa regular and while I prefer not be be looking through a shield nor do I like the maintenace with the Tulsa, they are trade offs I gladly live with for a smooth, relatively quiet ride.

But I've been hanging onto my WindBender hoping to read about a solution to the highly objectional wind noise they generate above 75mph.

Too, I guess windshields are a highly personal issue.

Good luck with this frustrating issue.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Waldo said:
Like being slapped in the face by 100 angry women.
Just wondering what you did to know what that felt like. :roll:
1 angry woman - said something nasty and got slapped.
2 angry women - said something nasty about her friend who heard you and both slapped you
3 angry women - said something nasty about her friends who heard you and they all slapped you
100 angry women - said something real nasty into a microphone then stood in a reception line??? :shock:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts