GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Covid 19 cancelled the planned ride in May at Marietta. Circumstances at the originally planned Baymont Inn for the fall ride have made switching motels a good idea.
I stopped at the Microtel at 506 Pike St. Marietta, OH 45750 and spoke to them of room availability and pricing. Their rates are: A 2 queen bed room is $70/night, $63 AAA, and $56.70 AARP. A 1 queen bed room is $64/night, $57.60 AAA, and $51.84 AARP. A free limited breakfast is included with rooms.
We are keeping the same dates of September 24,25, and 26 for the majority of us. Come and stay where and as long as you want.
Bullet Bob recommended I start another fresh thread and here's to hoping we get a lot of action here and soon in Marietta.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Just to make sure I'm reading this right - the September ride-in is officially moving from Baymont to Microtel, right?

Can we have a new count how many people are still coming? My wife and I are planning on being there, just have to cancel and re-book the room...

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Joanne and I, cancelled the Baymont reservation. I just made the New reservation at the Microtel....See you all very soon

·
Registered
859 Posts
Reservation made .

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just to make sure I'm reading this right - the September ride-in is officially moving from Baymont to Microtel, right?

Can we have a new count how many people are still coming? My wife and I are planning on being there, just have to cancel and re-book the room...

Yes, we moved to Microtel. Restarting the count with the new thread. Howard T and wife, eddiepants, you and your wife make 7.
When I called make reservations, I talked to a different lady than the one I spoke to earlier while I was at the Microtel. She gave the same rate that I show above, so it's not a special Darkside rate.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Yes, we moved to Microtel. Restarting the count with the new thread. Howard T and wife, eddiepants, you and your wife make 7.
When I called make reservations, I talked to a different lady than the one I spoke to earlier while I was at the Microtel. She gave the same rate that I show above, so it's not a special Darkside rate.
Good deal. I'll make a reservation this evening.

·
Registered
5,901 Posts
I will be canceling my reservation at Baymont, will NOT be making reservations at the Microtel. Nothing personal just not a risk I am yet willing to take.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Canceled Baylor and booked Microtel for my wife and myself. Together with Eddiepants, we will be there sometime on Friday, staying till Sunday.

Microtel have very good reviews on TripAdvisor....

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry you're not going to make it, Weengers, but understand.
To answer Grape Ape, I'm not sure it's a shindig, but by my count this will be the 23rd Darkside Ride-In since the first one in Portsmouth, OH in 2009.
They have been held spring and fall in places such as Wise, VA, Summersville, WV, Maggie Valley and Franklin and Robbinsville, NC to name a few.
It has been at times a large gathering of mostly Goldwingers and mostly Darksiders, though all are welcome.
We usually B.S. in the parking lot evenings, ride singly or in groups by day, have dinner, repeat. As Mama Cass said, "go where you wanna go, do what you wanna do."
This covid thing pretty much makes large groups unadviseable. We will need to space out a little more especially when NOT on the bikes. I believe we should be able to have a good time, enjoy some scenic riding, and be safe doing it.
I hope others will chime in with their thoughts on past ride ins.

·
Registered
500 Posts
I’ve got this dark side ride on my radar. I’ve always wanted to ride the scooter up in that region, and it would be great to ride with some folks that know the area.
I’m hopeful to make Rockies Gold then stop back home for a day or two and then head to Ohio.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I have re-booked at the Microtel arriving Thursday 9/24 and departing Sunday 9/27. I Booked the room online through the Wyndam rewards site. AAA rate was a few bucks higher than mentioned, but honestly, I really don’t care. Just looking forward to getting away for a few days. 👍

For counting purposes, I’ll be solo on this trip.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
duplicate post

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Considering the circumstances, BS-ing on the parking lot should be a fairly safe activity. A strength of a good BS can easily go further than suggested 6 ft distance.

If some are concerned about safety, we can probably have a dinner-like meal at the parking lot, having good time in a good company, talking about an activity we all enjoy and are passionate about. Who cares if we eat fast food at the parking, as long as everyone feels safe. That's just a suggestion, if some are concerned about safety...

I'm not worried but have a great respect of others and their concerns. If we appreciate each other we can have a great time....in these weird times.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just found out that Lyle & Barb Doverspike are coming from PA. To this post I count 7 bikes and 10 people confirmed on this thread. There are typically a riders that show up as a surprise, but we'll have to see. Getting close now.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am seriously considering this ride-in. Only issue is, I am supposed to meet up with a couple of old friends over on the Ohio/Indiana line on the 25th. One is riding from IL and another from WV. We are only planning on visiting a couple of hours, then each go his own way home. I might be able to make that work somehow, in conjunction with the ride-in with y'all. I need to stretch my legs, and so does the GoldWing. Will have to decide, hold or fold in the next few days.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts