GL1800Riders Forums banner

The Snake (aka:The Cobra)

3K views 19 replies 18 participants last post by  Jchefboyardee 
#1 ·
Anyone have comments on this one?

The SNAKE US 421

I read an article about US 421 and Shady Valley AKA "The Snake" in the June edition of Rider magazine and then I heard conversations about that area and decided that I would check it out in my car before riding my bike to the area.

I just got back today from my ride on US 421 and I can say I truely loved the ride and let me tell you this....If you think the Tail of the Dragon is something you must ride US 421. Although part of the ride has a detour prior to hitting Mount Mitchelle on the Parkway, you will still have plenty of turns to give you a sweet riders rush! The total of turns in the whole trip is noted to be 489 so its not for the rider that is timid in turns.

#3 ·
Where is it located?
Take 81 South to Bristol Virginia where you will take exit 1A where you will follow US-421 South into Shady Valley where you can stop at the country store before you hit the turns. Following US-421 will bring you back to the Blueridge Parkway

#5 ·
Just looked at Google maps on the terrain settin.
Man Yall have some Nice roads over there.
Don't have that many things to go around here in Texas.

#6 ·
#7 ·
North East corner of TN. Took a ride up in the truck and checked it out last Thanksgiving. I will go back with the bike when the weather warms up. I 2nd the "not for the rider that is timid in turns" and you better have some endurance built up before riding this one. Those 489 turns occur in 12 miles. You need a good attention span to play on that road.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/70816/1197112

http://www.shadyvalleycountrystore.com/default.htm
Nice roads :agree:

#8 ·
I've been there a number of times and every time that I've been there, I saw just a handful of other bikes. I think that the 489 turns are achieved on all three of the roads that converge at the Country Store in Shady Valley. Rt. 133, US-421 and Rt. 91.

And when you're done with the "Snake", a short distance away is US-58 in south west Virginia. Another gem!

Oh, yeah! Playing with the gear box is candy for the soul!

Mike

#9 ·
I've been there a number of times and every time that I've been there, I saw just a handful of other bikes. I think that the 489 turns are achieved on all three of the roads that converge at the Country Store in Shady Valley. Rt. 133, US-421 and Rt. 91.

And when you're done with the "Snake", a short distance away is US-58 in south west Virginia. Another gem!

Oh, yeah! Playing with the gear box is candy for the soul!

Mike

your correct

the 489 curves are for the 12 mile radius of the store, on the three mountains

it says so on the back of my tshirt

#10 ·
It's a great ride. Got the t-shirt too. The curves are a little more sweeping than the Dragon . I like both . I would like to go back and try US 58. Also the road from Johnston , 89 I think is a great ride too. Lots of Christmas tree farms.

#12 ·
HWY 36 from Red Bluff CA. to Alton CA. is 141 miles of the Dragon like road Great Ride, it was the first time riding I almost was wishing for some straight road, I said almost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#13 ·
North East corner of TN. Took a ride up in the truck and checked it out last Thanksgiving. I will go back with the bike when the weather warms up. I 2nd the "not for the rider that is timid in turns" and you better have some endurance built up before riding this one. Those 489 turns occur in 12 miles. You need a good attention span to play on that road.

http://video.yahoo.com/watch/70816/1197112

http://www.shadyvalleycountrystore.com/default.htm
nice vid. had me shiftin and brakin - felt like i was there. do the cages always park in the middle of the road like that white one in the beginning of the vid?

#15 ·
The owners of the Shady Valley Country Store have gone out of their way to cater to bikers. They're really good people and have helped with m/c events to raise money for the volunteer fire dept, cancer awareness, etc.
Gets crowded on weekends during warmer weather - not too bad during the week though. Right now there's a lot of salt on the roads in the area.

#16 ·
Road 421 6 years ago. Didn't mean to get on this road but took a wrong turn off the Parkway and took it all the way to Bristol. What a great ride. Not just curves but a lot of 180 degree switch backs. Hard on the pegs and floor boards.
Ride ti you will like it.

#18 ·
Hwy 421

Great road, many switchbacks and twisties. Rode it 3 times last year. It's a favorite spot for bikers and unfortunately the TN State Police also. From Mountain City to Shady Valley it's posted 35 mph. I was clocked coming out of a nice sweeper at 58 mph. They don't give warnings! Ticket was $121.00. It doesn't matter if you're going 5 mph or 40 mph over posted speed limit the fine is the same. It is patrolled on a regular basis and they give out a lot of tickets. They don't discriminate between bikes, cars, or trucks. The locals are not happy with them setting up their speed traps because they are receiving as many tickets as the bikers. Glad I had the opportunity to ride it before the TN State Police decided to crackdown. Ride in North Carolina and enjoy some great roads and avoid the hassles.

#19 ·
Great road, many switchbacks and twisties. Rode it 3 times last year. It's a favorite spot for bikers and unfortunately the TN State Police also. From Mountain City to Shady Valley it's posted 35 mph. I was clocked coming out of a nice sweeper at 58 mph. They don't give warnings! Ticket was $121.00. It doesn't matter if you're going 5 mph or 40 mph over posted speed limit the fine is the same. It is patrolled on a regular basis and they give out a lot of tickets. They don't discriminate between bikes, cars, or trucks. The locals are not happy with them setting up their speed traps because they are receiving as many tickets as the bikers. Glad I had the opportunity to ride it before the TN State Police decided to crackdown. Ride in North Carolina and enjoy some great roads and avoid the hassles.
ditto
ditto
ditto

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.