GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I turn the key to ON then switch the kill to ON (bike not started yet and cold) I hear sort of a bubbling sound. Sometimes it's the normal sound of the fuel pump phasing up but sometimes that is replaced with this boiling or bubbling sound.

Anyone?

·
Registered
452 Posts
I get that too...when the bike is fully warmed up, shut off and restarted after 15-30 minutes or so. Sounds like the fuel pump gargling :shrug: It never happens when the engine is cold, or started right away when hot (like a fuel stop).

I've always thought it was odd, but since everything else seems normal, I haven't really pursued it.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I get that too...when the bike is fully warmed up, shut off and restarted after 15-30 minutes or so. Sounds like the fuel pump gargling :shrug: It never happens when the engine is cold, or started right away when hot (like a fuel stop).

I've always thought it was odd, but since everything else seems normal, I haven't really pursued it.
Yep, we have the same problem. Hopefully it doesn't lead to anything worse. Just glad I'm not alone.

·
Registered
452 Posts
What is the year and mileage of yours? Mine is an '03 with 40k.

I suspected it was fuel vaporizing in the pickup tube/pump from excessive heat. I never really paid much attention to the fuel level when it happens, which could also be a factor. I'm interested if others have experienced this and have any thoughts or more details as well...

·
Registered
211 Posts
I had an FI Polaris Quad that did the same thing at 'key-on' when warm.
I wouldn't worry abut it 'too' much .............. unless (of course) you also hear Macbeth's witches ...... ;)

·
Registered
922 Posts
You might find something on the tech board. I heard about a purge valve that will cycle the fuel to the injectors somehow.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What is the year and mileage of yours? Mine is an '03 with 40k.

I suspected it was fuel vaporizing in the pickup tube/pump from excessive heat. I never really paid much attention to the fuel level when it happens, which could also be a factor. I'm interested if others have experienced this and have any thoughts or more details as well...
2010...and has been doing it on and off since brand new.

·
Registered
808 Posts
08 and noticed this for the first time yesterday. I'm usually listening to my headset when starting / stopping the bike, so it may be doing it much more often and I just don't notice it.

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would guess that you will find that it is no more than the electric fuel pump doing its job.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
My '08 has always done it. Just assumed that it was the fuel pump.

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
I only noticed it once but that was when it was parked for over a week and the fuel tank was nearly empty so my guess was that water formed in the near empty tank and had trouble burning off. By the time I gassed up and was on the bike for a few miles it was no longer a problem.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Water Boiling noise.

Hi peeps.
I am new here and found this forum while searching my problem.
I think it could be the same one.

When i drove a while highway and comming home, when putting the contact OFF i hear nothing special.
When putting it immediatly back ON i hear a loud boiling water effect.
Like someone blowing huge bubbles in a tank.

Always when the motor is hot (Temp half way the meter)
i don't understand why it doesn't do it when the motor is cold.
OR even when i did a large drive on national roads on cruising speed , it isn't comming up.

Is there already a definitive reason for it.
Here i uploaded some WAV sound fragments.
Maybe you could recougnize it as same or not.

http://uploading.com/files/m56e5133/Geluid+Goldwing+GL1800+alsof+Waterkoker.zip/

GRTZ
THX in advance and hoping on a quick positieve respons.
Patrick
Belgium Ypres

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
bubbling

I believe it has something to do with the fuel system pressuring so something like it.
Ask the question on the Tech board and you will be totally amazed at how quickly
you get a knowledgeable answer.

·
Registered
2,818 Posts
Mine is an 01 and I hear this same sound when the key is first turned on. Sounds just like boiling water, not the same sound from the car fuel pump when the key is turned on. I ask about it several months ago and was told it was the fuel pump. So far, I haven't had any issues, just a weird noise for sure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
"Sounds like what is happening is the residual heat from the engine is boiling the fuel in the fuel rail. When you turn on the key, the ECM turns the fuel pump on for a few seconds to purge the lines. That is what you are hearing. Common on a warm bike. "

The above is a response that I had gotten from member ChgoD.

I asked a similar question after changing my coolant. I had started the bike a couple of times while checking my coolant level and purging the air from the lines. I heard the same sound as you and wondered wtf? I believe that ChgoD explanation is the deal. As I was told by those who know a lot more than me, nothing to worry about.​

·
Registered
236 Posts
I've noticed this same noise from my '12. Everytime it did it to me was when the bike was warm with less than a half tank of gas....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts