GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After several close calls lately, I've developed the following Visual Priority List for riding my Wing:

1) At slow speeds and when stopping, look down at something on the pavement. That is the only way your eyes can focus on something useful, change focus as you move, and give you an accurate read on your speed and location. Since doing this, my stops have become much MUCH smoother. "Look down, fall down" does not seem to apply to looking down at something 10-30 feet in front of the bike when coming to a stop, or looking 10-15 feet inside the turn when turning at VERY slow speeds. I firmly believe this is where your vision SHOULD be at very slow speeds.

2) When starting out from a stop, or at speed on the open road, look up and out and down the road at the vanishing point. This gives you the most time to see and react to whatever is out there. Sine I've started this, my comfort level has sky rocketed and I have much, MUCH more time to react to potential threats without drama of fuss. I've literally been in traffic and on my brakes reacting to cars pulling out three cars in front of me.

I thought those two were enough, but more and more lately, distracted drivers have been trying to kill me. So, I added one more priority, and it frequently becomes the number one priority.

3) Whenever you see anything with a wheel on it (car, bike, truck, moped), stop looking at the vanishing point and look at the tire closest to you (that's not your own). Whatever is happening 30 seconds ahead of you is probably not as important as whether or not that car 10 seconds ahead on your left is moving forward and turning into your lane. The best way to see that is not by looking at the driver's eye or hands, or by assuming since they WERE stopped, they will continue to wait until you pass to pull out. No. I believe it is safest to look at the wheel closest too you. That is the fastest way to see and judge and react to their speed and direction.

Dog Eyes.jpg

·
Registered
19,102 Posts
my friend those are ALL great suggestions

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's funny that I use these skills all the time in my car.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
I constantly look at the drivers side front wheel.
This will tell you many times what is just about to happen.
My favorite is spotting the BOZO that just pulled over to the right with no signal so that he can do a U turn just in front of you....

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
that #2 be why I put projector hids in my wing, extending the nighttime vanishing point. led daytime running lights a great add as well

1 - 6 of 6 Posts