GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A dangerous experience while riding is a toll booth.
This is where highway speed traffic is stopped on the highway surface and some change is collected because principalities can. Use extreme caution at the toll booth; your life is in danger. Try to stay in the left tire tracks of the vehicle you are following. Be cautious of other vehicles trying to muscle into your lane. Watch your mirrors closely at all times and try to have an escape rout planned for every foot you travel. The driver behind you may not realize that all the traffic on the highway is coming to a sudden stop. Remember the surface at and before the booth is going to be slick as oil is dripping from the vehicles that are getting hot sitting in line in front of you. Even if you make it to the booth without falling in the oil remember your tires are coated as you pull away.
If you are carrying a passenger through booth and you know the toll booth is coming be sure to warn your passenger of the hazards before you find yourselves in this dangerous situation. Instruct your passenger not to move about while you are sitting in the pool of oil.
Most toll booths have a very steeply sloaped surface at the toll collection area so this will add to the hazards for a motorcycle at the booth.
Remember to put all your gear back on before leaving the booth. If you had to remove your glove to get into your pocket put your glove back on on properly. Do not be intimidated by the angry drivers behind you who are following impatient with the fact that you are unable to get into your pockets and place the exact change on the dashboard while swerving into your neighbors lane a mile back like they were able to do. Its not your problem.
Do a double check before pulling out of the toll booth. Is your wallet back where it belongs? Is all your safety gear back on?
Remember your tires are going to be slick from the oil you just rode through so take it easy for the next 20 miles or so. Do not try to speed out of the toll booth.
Ride safe.
Glen

·
Registered
160 Posts
Look at the EZ pass in PA! It works everywhere except Ohio and you just use the express lanes and never go through a toll booth!

Best Idea since Ice Cream

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
If you are carrying a passenger through booth and you know the toll booth is coming be sure to ...

Let them get the toll out and ready well before you get to the booth, and let them pay without you removing any saftey gear... you concentrate on the bike, let them worry about the toll!

When the wife and I are on the road, my wallet is usually in the pouch of the utopia for just this purpose!

·
Registered
524 Posts
EZ Pass here in Va.
I just ride thru with no(99.9%) stopping.
It would be nice not to have tolls but we have to pay for state workers holidays(paid) somehow and this is but one way we do it here.
That ....and State Inspections. :lol:

Dave

·
Registered
19,385 Posts
Good suggestions. I try and stay off the toll roads in Texas. If you do use alot, and they offer EZ Tag it can be a time saver and safety factor.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Here in Central Florida, you are quartered and 50 cents to death with all those tolls...EZ Pass is best route...but u still have to watch out for those lane changing 4 or 18 wheelers just before the booth...

·
Registered
66 Posts
EZ Pass has it's own down falls. I've been using the one from the cage and if, when it's on the bike, the toll sensor doesn't pick it up it's a $15.00 service fee plus the toll. This has happened several times on my commute to DC. Needless to say it can get very expensive very fast.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Why would it not pick it up when on a bike??? Sensors here are overhead as you drive thru....

Now mind you, I have had a few not trigger, but they take your picture as you pass when that happens...it gets your plate info and after so many, they will send you a letter informing you to get new batteries OR a bill.... :D

We had 1 college kid not pay his tolls for over 2 years, welllll, the local cops came to his place and arrested him for theft...He DID NOT have a EZ pass and was just running thru without paying....His 2K of non payment turned into 10K plus court and lawyer fees....

·
Registered
3,382 Posts
Ben There and Daver, very good advice.

Unfortunately, I ride solo and I have to take time to get my money out of my pocket. Also, the turnpike in my area is not a very heavily traveled road.
The suggestions here are very good ones and remind me of a few situation I've experienced in construction zones with the oil and other fluids on the roadway.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
SoundOff said:
EZ Pass has it's own down falls. I've been using the one from the cage and if, when it's on the bike, the toll sensor doesn't pick it up it's a $15.00 service fee plus the toll. This has happened several times on my commute to DC. Needless to say it can get very expensive very fast.
Here in Texas, if the EZ pass is not read, a digital picture is taken of your license plate. If it matches that you have an EZ tag, they just bill it as if it read your tag. I have not found a place to mount mine either where it will read, and I just blow through them and watch the red light blinking in my mirror (indicating it did not read me). Never been a problem.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The problem is that I've been using the EZ Pass for the cage. When the sensors miss the EZ Pass and since the bike isn't listed with EZ Pass I get the additional fees. I know the solution is to get 1 for the bike.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I agree EZ Pass is a good way to pay the toll. I am a tourer though and I do not find it convenient to buy 500 EZ passes for my 1 to 2 uses a year in the state they apply. There are tolls that are just flat out dangerous such as the ones in Florida Oklahoma and Illinois, New York, New Jersey. California and Pennsylvania seem to have a safer toll system with California having the safest. They have a exit off the highway to stop and pay the toll allowing those with an EZ pass to just drive on down the highway without exiting. This also allows those on cell phones to drive on down the highway without noticing the exit (ticket).
Three times the car in front of me has been rear ended by the car behind me, all three times at toll booths. I wonder if there has ever been a study as to how many Motorcyclists are killed each year at toll booths.
Glen

·
Registered
692 Posts
Soundoff,
I have been using the EZ Pass on the bike for years and no problem anywhere with it. I even carry it in my jacket and it read as I pass! You can mount it on the windshield or put it in the pocket on the sides and it will still read it. As long as you have the bike plates register they will cross check it before billing just as JJsC6 said.
I rather be using that, than pulling out the wallet or finding change. I find more problems with people with cell phones than anything at a toll booth.

·
Registered
463 Posts
Toll Booths

I drove over the road for 7 years and the only place I HAD to deal with toll booths was Chicago and New York City. When I am on my bike I avoid these like the plague, there are always free passages to the same destination and on a bike thse are always the most fun. I just have a problem paying to use a road that supposedly my taxes (fuel and income) has already paid for so they only get my money if I just have no options. Frank

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Here, in New Hampshire EZ Pass is relatively new.

They put the exact change lanes on the left, EZ pass lanes in the middle, and finaly 'change required' lanes on the right.

Stupid move as far as I'm concerned, safety wise.

Lots of cars head for the left most lanes and then cross over the EZ lanes to the far right. At the same time, all those lead foots behind you are trying to pass you in the EZ lanes to go throught at 90 mph.

And then some dummy stops in front of you when you are trying to hold up your EZ pass with your clutch hand.

Very dangerous.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
North and into VA is EZ pass. You don't need one for each state, just make sure it is activated for multiple states when you obtain it. I had a Startag in VA, and a SunPass for Florida, and an EZPass for the Northern Territories. Once VA and FL started to accept EZ Pass, I dropped the others and now use just the one. It sticks to the Windshield with 3 suction cups while the others used velcro. I will say that the VA velcro was some tough stuff. much better than that lazy crap the Sunpass came with!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Do I understand EZ pass will work in FLA?

·
Registered
615 Posts
Rinkopr, you mean I can use my "Sunpass up north? Or is it only EZPass for all ....?????? Very interesting. Joy

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Ben There - I was a little surprised to see that you posted this from Hawaii. I didn't know they had toll road over on the island. Maybe you are just relating some good info from previous experience, I don't know.

Living in California, I have little experience with toll roads, but I have passed through enough of the East coast states to develop a real hatrid for those $%^&* things. :x Like "fititfrank" aluded to, it just chaps my ass to pay a toll for using a road that has probably been paid for years ago while the gasoline tax should be used for maintenance costs.

One that is really a conumdrum is the Golden Gate Bridge. Now in this instance, that thing needs to be constantly maintained and painted, so paying the toll makes some sense to my way of thinking. You pay when traveling South over the bridge but not when going North. That is strange. What make me say "Huhhh?" is that they charge by the axle. When I am pulling my trailer behind the Wing, I get charged more than an RV. What? Somehow my wear and tear factor of the bridge doesn't seem to match that of multi-ton RV.

I have just decided that it is a legal way of robbing us of our money and if I choose not to go around the toll road, I should shut my mouth and pay the toll. On second thought, naw. I gain some satisfaction bitching and moaning about it to you guys (and gals). :roll:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts