GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, all!
What would be the usual suspects that would cause the plastic to rattle on the bumps. I can hear it from the rear mostly.
Nothing terrible, but can it be completely eliminated?
It just annoys my "musical ear" :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
I had a similar noise and narrowed it down to the trunk hinges. It took a while for me to find it and it drove me nuts. Once identified, I put some peel & stick foam rubber between the two collapsed hinge sections and a piece under the lower hinge section, on the plastic. That stopped the rattle about 25,000 miles ago. Good luck....
Cheers, Art

·
Registered
452 Posts
For me its all the loose tools I have in the left saddle bag...I really need to get a carpet set and tool bag. I also think the trunk lid rattles a lot, along with all the crap I have in the trunk. Good tip on the hinges, I'll need to check that out.

Sometimes the VOL knob/lever can lower the levels of the rattles, but it seems to work in inverse (turn the VOL up and the rattles get quieter) :yes1:

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked with EVERYTHING removed from all the pockets and storage areas.
Sounds like plastic really... not like the metal hinges (but I will check that too).

·
Registered
1,182 Posts
Had the same deal after a recent service at the dealer. Found that they had misplaced (and not replaced) several of the rubber bushings for the side covers. Fixed that, and the rattle went away. Worth a try anyway.

·
Registered
812 Posts
I believe it is the trunk lid rattling. Mine does the same thing. I can see where plastic is hitting plastic. When I have it serviced, I will ask them to add some rubber grommets to stop the contact of the lid against the trunk.

·
Registered
342 Posts
On my personal bike side covers and the trunk lid needed some help. 'Fixed' the problem with Velcro tape(fuzzy side only). Works well for the rattles.

The front cowl rattled on bumps. Replaced and tightened screws and bolts and added Velcro as above.

The bags on both sides were also flexing at times. Installed internal braces to reduce this flex. got rid of the sound(minor) but I'm not sure it was worth the effort. I'll let you know in 2-3k miles.

Got rid of or tied down all the junk in the trunks. Helps a lot.

·
Registered
513 Posts
icing777,

take a couple hand/washclothes and drape them on the left and right sides of your trunk,were the lid goes down on the main trunk body, ( leave part of the washcloth hanging outside the trunk body)with the lid open. close your trunk lid,easily. go out for a ride and see if this eliminated the 'plastic squeek'.
if this eliminates the squeek,,,do as westwing03 remidied his. in this thread..

bc

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
Or Duct tape the lid down nizentight on the outside and go for a ride over some bumps and have a listen. If it rattles its not the lid.

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
A helmet does a great job at deadening the sound from behind.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Could be the trunk or storage bag fasteners are a bit loose.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts