GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ya know the air vents just in front of your shins ??? http://www.casporttouring.com/store/gra ... lw_vnt.jpg Mine are working REALLY NICE now !!! One small problem though. The nice COOL air-conditioned air comes out in December, January, and February, and the nice WARM heated air comes out in June, July, and August. Is there somewhere to reset a clock or computer to make the correct air (warm or cold) come out during the time of year I' d prefer ???

·
Registered
484 Posts
I got the clock to reset on mine. Simply sit in stop/go traffic for 10 minutes. Heat will come out of the vents. After 10 minutes of riding at speed again, cool air will come out of the vents. 10 minutes (no more no less) is a lil known feature of these bikes improperly documented on page 666 of the Genuine Hondaline Honda Owner's Manual.

·
Registered
295 Posts
You have inadvertently purchased a Southern hemisphere model. Your bike was designed to operate in Australia or South America.
Ask your dealer to swap it out for a Northern hemisphere model. :lol:

·
Premium Member
12,496 Posts
cgent said:
Ya know the air vents just in front of your shins ???
There was just another recent post about this ...

I guess prior to 06 they were called cool air vents,
now, the 06 and 07 manual calls them warm air vents.

Honda can't make up their mind either so they've got it covered both ways.

Dennis

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
cgent

They're located where again? In front of what? 8)

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Ok, flame suit on...

what if you took the tunnels out, and then experimented with covering the exhaust openings in the fairing near the radiator...

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Personally - I think Honda could save us a few bucks and leave any
vents intended for warm air off the bikes. They are nearly 100%
ineffective. When the ambient temp is cool and you are riding at any
speed they are worthless. And that is when you need them. My 1500
SE was the same way. All kinds of warm air vents. All worthless when
needed.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Yup my 1500 wing was the same way. Useless vents. But everyone else that was a non winger thought they were cool as hell. And Harley doesn't have em so what the hell, leave em in. I'm suprised someone doesn't make an aftermarket kit to take the vents out and put in mini storage holders of some kind or another. OR put lights in and market as a courtesy/security lighting system. What they really ought to do is shitcan the vents and put in 12vdc cigarrette lighters plugs in them with a waterproof cap over it.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
OK, I'll try to be a little serious, but just for a second. I would agree that these vents seem to do little more then move air. Having had the front of my bike almost completely apart (thank God I had Fred's CDs) while working on some of my special equipment, it would seem that trying to "transfer/capture" any of the heat generated off the radiators would be difficult given the current design. I like the idea that you mention daver since you see a lot of trucks, mostly the older ones, who put cardboard and other things to cover portions of the radiator in an effort to generate more heat I believe. But wonder what that might do for overheating. Certainly something that would have to watched. I also like the idea that joel3078 tossed out about using the space for electrical issues. I actually might do that since I have little obvious use myself for the lower vents.

Would be fun to see if Lewis came up with anything, and would be also very interesting to hear what some of the more knowledgeable guys then I think.

G

·
Hmmmmmm Let's see,

No vents,
elimate those expensive CD and CB controls on the handle bars,
make the tail lights to match,
No kill switch,

Hell...........they should hire me, I just saved Mother Honda $2,500 off the price of a new bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Vents

Just wondering, did you put the Crush Washer in the right place?

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
Wheels said:
cgent

They're located where again? In front of what? 8)
:shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :clap2: :clap2: :bow: :bow:

What can I say, ya got me! :lol:

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
I think there is a lot of heat to be tapped on the outboard side of the radiators. If someone were to design, (Mother Honda), scoops on the back edge of the radiator opening in the side of the fairing with the ability to open and close them. Right now it is just flat so maybe it wouldn't even require scoops, just holes with ducting running around the back side of the fairing pockets. Seems like it could be done.

·
Registered
260 Posts
shin vents

I had my covers off last week while performing some work in that area, and looked at that sorry vent situation. I pulled the ducts out that run from the front vent to the louvers at shin. Road the first time tonight and had heat coming out the shin vents. I have'nt plugged the front vents yet but plan to soon. I suspect it will produce a little more heat . Any heat in cold weather is good so I figure I made some progress. I'll post more results as I work with it. I'm riding an '02 Wing Trike.

·
Registered
4,012 Posts
Did all you guys forget that you are riding a motorcycle?

There is more air coming around the fairing than you will ever get out of those small vents, warm or not! duh!

·
Registered
6,047 Posts
wingman57 said:
Did all you guys forget that you are riding a motorcycle?

There is more air coming around the fairing than you will ever get out of those small vents, warm or not! duh!
Yes but it, (the air coming around the fairing), for the most part is not intruding into the bubble of relatively still air behind the windshield and fairing. Whatever air come out of those little vents gets sucked past our body parts before joining the air rushing past us.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts