GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Ok so here I am, the owner of a 2010 GL1800 that I bought about 3 months ago now and…no it has not been sitting idea. I have 14,000 Km’s on it already, would have been a hell of a lot more had the weather not been so crappy this summer.

Ok now for the question. I have just started to notice a wobble that seems to come at a given speed range every time. I do not recall ever having it before, but now I feel it as I transition through that speed range which seems to be from what I can tell…between 60 to 80 Km/h ( about 40 to 50 MPH ). Above this speed all in fine….below as well, but as I pick up speed or slow down and pass through that 60 to 80 Km/h zone I get a wobble in the handle bars.

Now I am not sure if this is that so called famous Gold Wing wobble I have heard of….or if it just my tires….as the front is a “ Dunflop “ and it cupped scalloped and some other interesting tire wear patterns that I do not even now how to describe to you. Do I have this famous Gold Wing wobble now….or is it just my tries doing this….?

:shrug:

·
Registered
7,715 Posts
The 'famous' wobble occurs when you release the handlebars and goes away when you hold them - it is not normally noticable when you are gripping the bars in the 'normal' fashion.

Sounds like you have more than the usual wear - what tire pressure have you been running?

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
When you change your tires, it will go away. But be prepared. Some people are about to try and spend a lot of your money.

·
Registered
267 Posts
stones!

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The 'famous' wobble occurs when you release the handlebars and goes away when you hold them - it is not normally noticable when you are gripping the bars in the 'normal' fashion.

Sounds like you have more than the usual wear - what tire pressure have you been running?

Interesting, that is just what I have notices as well...if I hold the bars with one hand...lightly I get it....the wobble that is. When I hold the bars normal...I do not feel anything. I found this purely by mistake...I was slowing down on a highway off ramp...and was busy with the other hand...and it hit. Seem the peek of the wobble is at 70 Km/h....thats somewhere around the 45 MPH area. The tries...crap is all I can say..! They got cupped and all that even before I got 4,000 Km's on them.

Tire pressure I am running at...45 Front....42 Rear. At the so called proper pressure...the tires, front mostly by a long shot was already cupped. Since running 45 on the front its not getting any worse from what I can tell....but when I take a corner...at least it not making so much noise. Seems to even handle better at the higher pressure.

As soon as I rip these tires up enough...they are so gone...and I am going with Bridge Stones.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't know what you've been told, but the most I ever got out of a rear tire is 8000 miles (approx. 13000 KM). Your beast eats tires! :22yikes:
With my other bike, I get 34,000 to 37,000 out of a set of tires...and those have all been the Bridge Stones. My riding style on the wing can best be put as....riding like a granny....picking up speed slowly...same with slowing down...and not carving corners. I am upset that these tires look the way they do...given my riding style...this should not be.

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Agree with tires as the likely flaw, but more likely the rear than the front.prs

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Interesting, that is just what I have notices as well...if I hold the bars with one hand...lightly I get it....the wobble that is. When I hold the bars normal...I do not feel anything. I found this purely by mistake...I was slowing down on a highway off ramp...and was busy with the other hand...and it hit. Seem the peek of the wobble is at 70 Km/h....thats somewhere around the 45 MPH area. The tries...crap is all I can say..! They got cupped and all that even before I got 4,000 Km's on them.

Tire pressure I am running at...45 Front....42 Rear. At the so called proper pressure...the tires, front mostly by a long shot was already cupped. Since running 45 on the front its not getting any worse from what I can tell....but when I take a corner...at least it not making so much noise. Seems to even handle better at the higher pressure.

As soon as I rip these tires up enough...they are so gone...and I am going with Bridge Stones.
45 front tire is to much air 40 is what i run seems to work for the best wear.

·
Registered
512 Posts
It tires 14,000 is pretty good on stock tires.:agree:

·
Registered
17,122 Posts
Why most likely the rear....? :?:
The front end wobbles because the front end is the articulated end, not becasue the front tire is the culprit (although it can be). The rear tire is more susceptible to wearing thin in its middle and responds by vibrating as speeds change in certain ranges. That vibe pattern excites the frame, the frame vibes at its natural frequency (the wobble frequency with which we are familiar) and we feel it in the bars, the articulated attachment to us, the only outlet.

The tire noise we hear as tires wear and we are in sweeping curves is also almost always the rear, although on this bike it sounds like the front. The wind screen is catching the sound and bouncing it back at us.

prs

·
lightley seasoned member
3,081 Posts
Ok so here I am, the owner of a 2010 GL1800 that I bought about 3 months ago now and…no it has not been sitting idea. I have 14,000 Km’s on it already, would have been a hell of a lot more had the weather not been so crappy this summer.

Ok now for the question. I have just started to notice a wobble that seems to come at a given speed range every time. I do not recall ever having it before, but now I feel it as I transition through that speed range which seems to be from what I can tell…between 60 to 80 Km/h ( about 40 to 50 MPH ). Above this speed all in fine….below as well, but as I pick up speed or slow down and pass through that 60 to 80 Km/h zone I get a wobble in the handle bars.

Now I am not sure if this is that so called famous Gold Wing wobble I have heard of….or if it just my tires….as the front is a “ Dunflop “ and it cupped scalloped and some other interesting tire wear patterns that I do not even now how to describe to you. Do I have this famous Gold Wing wobble now….or is it just my tries doing this….?

:shrug:
With your description of your tires...you know what to do...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So then I take it that its not really a safety issue then....Right? I had to ask about this wobble as in the past before I got a goldwing I hear so much about it...like its the bearing, to....too soft front fork springs to...too hard...to lacking a fork brace...and a pile of other things. That was as I said....BEFORE I bought my first goldwing...so I never really followed the stories I have heard about it. The last thing I need is to end up with a speed wobble...at say...like 120 Km/h ( about 70 MPH ), that would not be funny at all...! However for what its worth...I really dislike that anty-dive valve on the front fork...I think its a pain in the A$$ all around. Otherwise I really like the bike.

The tires that are on it....are the stock tires it came with when I bought the bike new some 3 months ago.

·
Registered
20,014 Posts
IMO, No, it is not a safety issue in the least bit. Although a few people who think that riding with no hands on the handlebars is a perfectly safe and acceptable way to ride a motorcycle will insist that it is. This just might be the hotly debated topic on this website

Motorcycles have suffered wobble in various degrees since the first motorcycle was invented. This is not a situation that is unique to the Wing. Some Goldwing owners seem to have a mindset that since they own an expensive, elite motorcycle that it should also be immune to the laws of physics and not be susceptible to the same problems other motorcycles have. Do a Google search for motorcycle wobble and you will be busy for hours reading about wobble problems from virtually every type of bike. There are also engineering and scientific websites that discuss this type of resonance problem that has befuddled engineers for centuries.

The advent of radial tires in the motorcycle industry has exasperated the problem. The sipe design of sport radial tires has not only improved grip, but it has also created abnormal wear patterns. Those wear patterns not only cause the bike to wobble, but make the tires sing in the turns as well. The high weight of a bike like the Wing, coupled with greater handling capabilities also causes tires to wear faster, making the problem even worse. Tires are also susceptible to tolerance problems in manufacturing, just like any other product. No tire is ever perfectly manufactured. But it is argued that the quality of today's tires is not very good. I don't know whether this is true or not. But all too often, manufacturers get blamed for problems just because people feel the need to blame it on something, regardless of whether they have any scientific data to back it up. Some people have had Dunlop tires wobble from day one. Is that a quality problem, or an uncontrollable tolerance?

It should be noted that there are many things that can cause wobble, and sometimes wobble is indeed an indication of a problem. Loose stem bearings can allow the bike to wobble. Since you have a new bike, I would not be surprised if yours need adjustment. Most bearings do loosen up a bit in the first 10,000 miles or so. This should be a regular part of your maintenance schedule anyway, so now might be a good time to check it.

The key to this is whether the bike wobbles with your hands on the bars or not. If it only wobbles with your hands on the bars, a new set of tires will usually take care of it. But it will probably come back as those new tires begin to wear.

If the bike is wobbling even with your hands on the bars, and you can't control it, you really need to look into it ASAP. That is a serious problem.

This has just been my opinion, and it is not one that is universally agreed upon. You have to do a lot of reading and decide for yourself whether it is an issue you want to pursue further, or just accept. If you choose not to accept it, there is no shortage of vendors out there that will be more than happy to take your money.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
It is a bit warm for me to have a wobble.

I tend to wobble in cold weather sometimes, as I stop and get myself a bottle of Brandy. About an hour later I tend to develop a wobble. :lol:

I have said many times a wobble on the Wing is engineered safely. It is a low speed wobble and related to either the tires and or the suspension. One or the other.

Just raising the front of the bike 1/4 of an inch with better springs, spacers or large washers will work. Anything to get rid of the resonance set up by the tires and the trail of the bike.

That is why some wobble and some do not, depends on the rider and how big they are, and many things, but generally caused by the suspension.

Nope do not buy the steering head bearing theory. A bearing is a bearing is a bearing, some are round, some are oval, some are this or that, but you have two contact points and it goes side to side, very slowly actually compared to what bearings generally travel at. So if you have two secure contact points with no play.......a bearing is a bearing. Yes you can secure especially tapered bearings to the point they mask the wobble. For sure you can do that. But it will be back.

Tis the suspension. On a bike.

Tis the Brandy in cold weather. :lol:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts