GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I didn't catch the name of it. They were telling about it on XM Radio. What is so neat about it is ALL the roads & addresses in the US & Canada are already loaded onto it. You can also use anyones phone number & it will switch it to there address when you put it in. This also works for businesses. They said that the best feature is that you won't need to read the manual to use it because it is so simple to use. It comes with a 12 volt plug in for cars or bikes. They also said it has a nice size screen so it is easy to read. Also, they said it could be moved from car to car just by unpluging the 12 volt cord. Price, they said under $1000. I can't wait to see it along with a write up on it.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nope that was not the name. It comes already loaded with ALL the maps & addresses for all the US & Canada. It also comes loaded with ALL the phone numbers in the US & Canada. It can give you the phone number of the address programed or put in the phone number & it will show that address that goes with that number. We are talling a lot of memory to hold all that information. It also has all bussiness addresses & there phone numbers. They said list price will be $1500. & street price under $1000.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Blue Wing
Don't tease us like that. We gotta know who has this majic box.

·
Registered
405 Posts
When I find anyone that has my phone number and address tied together and it is not the FBI I will hunt them down and terminate the combination. The CIA is not suppose to do business in this country or I would include them. My GPS does not send info. I will not purchase a vehicle that has a GPS system or whatever GMC sells that will tell you where I am or what I am doing.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Unless your number is ulisted or cell phone, your name and address is already available to Johm Public.

·
Registered
17,090 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm! Ok? You have such a thing. It maps your progress and speed; right? You get int a crash and the fuzz confiscates that toy as evidence to prove you were speeding or such. Hmmmm.

prs

·
Registered
824 Posts
They have to prove that you were doing that speed at the time of the accident. Still comes down to basic accident investigation techniques.

·
Resident BBQ Expert
13,862 Posts
Woody said:
When I find anyone that has my phone number and address tied together and it is not the FBI I will hunt them down and terminate the combination. The CIA is not suppose to do business in this country or I would include them. My GPS does not send info. I will not purchase a vehicle that has a GPS system or whatever GMC sells that will tell you where I am or what I am doing.
just for something to do, enter your phone number in a google search one time. amazing how much info is just hanging out there, includeing a map to most peoples house.

loren

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Read somewhere that the new cages have a 10-30 second memory chip connected to the computer, registers the speed. This is downloaded at accident scenes. You lose in courts, if guilty.

G

·
Wow Fred. Great story. I wonder how many other bikers out there would be willing to admit they made this sort of mistake in an accident. Most want to blame other drivers, elements, the bike, etc. Took me the better part of a year before I was willing to admit fault in my big one. Yes, there was another driver involved but I have to share in the blame. There were things I could've done and shouldn't have done that might have changed the whole outcome. Anyway, great post.

·
Vendor
22,225 Posts
Why I crashed

Well, if you liked that, here is the full story write up I did after my crash in 2000.

http://www.concours.org/sc/accident.html

And by the way, over the past year or so I have noticed myself again ratcheting up my corner entrance speeds. My avatar image is a perfect example. It is a good reminder to me to go back and re-read this article every few months and re-evaluate my riding. I also seem to actually ride slower when I am alone. When I ride with a group of other bikes, the testosterone seems to kick in and I get tempted to show off just how good the Wing handles.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Dang Fred!! You just gotta stop that crashin! You have too much important info to share!

Dwight

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
GL03, wasn't the rest of that story about the fact that most of the time, audio on the device was screams and some "OH, S***s!"....

except in Texas, where the most common utterance was "Here, hold my beer and watch THIS!" :D

Oh, okay.... maybe not...... :)

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Guntar, you got it right. that is the name Roadmate. It looks like a winner. It shows that it has voice comands. Plus it has a 10 Gig. hard drive.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Man, they want an arm and a leg for this one - $1699 at one site I checked. I can read a LOT of maps for that price, even afford to get lost once or twice. But never, NEVER stop and ask directions! That's just not the way its done by us guys. Leave that to the ladies. Besides, I'm never lost - just not sure of where I am from time to time.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts