GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Two times very early in a ride I checked the temps and got readings way too low. First time read 23 first time, a minute or two later correct 37. The false reading the bike was still on high idle if that matters.

The very next time I used the bike a similar situation with different numbers.

The false reading was not the temp when I turned it off previously.

It seems okay now. Any explanations? Not worried just real curious.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Checkthe connector to the sensor... Its infront of he right storage pocket.
The sensor is in the left upper air vent.

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
did u know that if u press the button 2 times it tells u what the suspension setting is ? could that b what the 23 was ?

·
Registered
130 Posts
It's those darned liberal yankees up in Mass'chooss'tts messin' with the therma-stat again! I wish they'd set it and leave it alone! Somebody oughta put a lock-box 'round that thang!

·
Registered
758 Posts
Back in 2004 when on a ride to North Carolina with unussually cool temps for August, mine did a similar thing. The other 1800s in the group were all reading correctly. Never did determine why it did it and have never noticed it doing it again.

Farmer Jack

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
If it was reading high I would say you just need to ride it a little farther. The Temp indicator works better with air flowing accross it.

However, you are reporting low readings and that is wierd. I would suspect a bad thermal couple. A thermal couple is made of two dissimilar metals joined together. They produce a small voltage that changes with the temp. If your's is reading low, the thermal couple may have a bad connection.

·
Registered
1,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Rastoff said:
If it was reading high I would say you just need to ride it a little farther. The Temp indicator works better with air flowing accross it.

However, you are reporting low readings and that is wierd. I would suspect a bad thermal couple. A thermal couple is made of two dissimilar metals joined together. They produce a small voltage that changes with the temp. If your's is reading low, the thermal couple may have a bad connection.
The secont time the button is pushed I get the right reading. Happened that way 2 times in a row. So for not again.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts