GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I must have purchased the best Goldwing to ever come off of Honda’s assembly. Yep, it had a few little flaws that I would have made better if I could tell Honda how to build them. Don’t guess they need my advice.

I had the All Balls bearing put in, not because of a wobble but because I looked at the two bearings side by side and felt the All Balls are better. The OEM’s are OK but I think Honda could have done a better job with that.

Just the other day I had Max and Crew (Traxxion) wave their magic wane over the suspension and man, what an improvement.

Other than that I’ve had 23000 wonderful, exciting, flawless miles on her.

Have you ever bought a cage and everything on it was perfect. I haven’t. I wish Honda had put that $7,000 of extra’s on RED and sold it to me for the OEM price. Dang, they just wouldn’t do it.

Now about Traxxion.

Max and Crew installed the front forks, rear shock and brace on RED Wednesday. Took a short ride with a couple good guys I met at the shop. Only difference on those smooth Ga. highways was a more solid feel. It was as if you were wearing the bike instead of on it.
Pulled out of Woodstock, Ga. about 4:30 A/M Thursday. Cool, but not cold. I wanted to beat the Atlanta traffic. Turning west on I-20 it started getting colder as I hit the cold front.

True test on the suspension came when I hit the Louisiana roads. Finally exam came when I hit some of that I-10 between the Louisiana State line and just west of Houston. A lot of I-10 on the Texas side is good but there is some really bad. They have been working on some part of that Interstate for 27 years that I know of and will probably still be working on it when Jesus comes back to set up his Kingdom on Earth.

Upside of the suspension, I mean, what can I say that hasn’t already been said. IT’S GREAT.
Before Traxxion, when you hit a bump you could feel it and if it was a big one it would jar your teeth.
After Traxxion, You still feel the bump but it doesn’t jar you or rattle your eye balls. It’s kind of like hitting a bump in a 1 ton empty trunk and then hitting the same bump in a Lincoln Navigator.

Downside,
You get to where you ignore the bumps, split pavement and groves in the pavement. Like I said, you’re wearing the bike. Then you have to realize that you’re still riding on just two, very soft tires and big bumps, potholes and pavement separations should still be respected.
I don’t know the mechanics of it but I do know Max has a lock on the suspension secret. Hat’s off to Max and Staff.

See you in about 20000 for a service. Good reason for a ride. BTW, I don't think I've ever seen colors as colorful up there as they are this year.
 

·
Registered
2018 Honda Gold Wing
Joined
·
7,990 Posts
It's like getting a newer version of the bike you already know. :) It's even better when riding two up. I hope you enjoy your new ride.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,038 Posts
Thanks for your post. I was looking for info by a Traxxion user that talked about ride comfort instead of handling in the twisties. I want the handling but I am more interested in the comfort aspect for my wife. I just rode that section of I-10 a couple of weeks ago on my way to Key West. I rode I-10 from El Paso to Florida and the Louisiana section was absolutely the worst.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19,376 Posts
Louisiana roads stink especially I-10
poor state
corrupt
spends too little on highway improvements
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now laen. You really don't expect a politian to serve a four year term without sticking a couple million in his or her pocket do you? I mean, come on man.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts
RedStreak said:
I must have purchased the best Goldwing to ever come off of Honda’s assembly. Yep, it had a few little flaws that I would have made better if I could tell Honda how to build them. Don’t guess they need my advice.

I had the All Balls bearing put in, not because of a wobble but because I looked at the two bearings side by side and felt the All Balls are better. The OEM’s are OK but I think Honda could have done a better job with that.

Just the other day I had Max and Crew (Traxxion) wave their magic wane over the suspension and man, what an improvement.

Other than that I’ve had 23000 wonderful, exciting, flawless miles on her.

Have you ever bought a cage and everything on it was perfect. I haven’t. I wish Honda had put that $7,000 of extra’s on RED and sold it to me for the OEM price. Dang, they just wouldn’t do it.

Now about Traxxion.

Max and Crew installed the front forks, rear shock and brace on RED Wednesday. Took a short ride with a couple good guys I met at the shop. Only difference on those smooth Ga. highways was a more solid feel. It was as if you were wearing the bike instead of on it.
Pulled out of Woodstock, Ga. about 4:30 A/M Thursday. Cool, but not cold. I wanted to beat the Atlanta traffic. Turning west on I-20 it started getting colder as I hit the cold front.

True test on the suspension came when I hit the Louisiana roads. Finally exam came when I hit some of that I-10 between the Louisiana State line and just west of Houston. A lot of I-10 on the Texas side is good but there is some really bad. They have been working on some part of that Interstate for 27 years that I know of and will probably still be working on it when Jesus comes back to set up his Kingdom on Earth.

Upside of the suspension, I mean, what can I say that hasn’t already been said. IT’S GREAT.
Before Traxxion, when you hit a bump you could feel it and if it was a big one it would jar your teeth.
After Traxxion, You still feel the bump but it doesn’t jar you or rattle your eye balls. It’s kind of like hitting a bump in a 1 ton empty trunk and then hitting the same bump in a Lincoln Navigator.

Downside,
You get to where you ignore the bumps, split pavement and groves in the pavement. Like I said, you’re wearing the bike. Then you have to realize that you’re still riding on just two, very soft tires and big bumps, potholes and pavement separations should still be respected.
I don’t know the mechanics of it but I do know Max has a lock on the suspension secret. Hat’s off to Max and Staff.

See you in about 20000 for a service. Good reason for a ride. BTW, I don't think I've ever seen colors as colorful up there as they are this year.
Were do you in live Houston? I live in Sugar Land. I would love to see a bike with this upgrade.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
137 Posts
Well, OK...

laen said:
Louisiana roads stink especially I-10
poor state
corrupt
spends too little on highway improvements
It may all be true - but...

Louisiana still has the finest politicians money can buy!

... they just don't stay bought ... :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
118 Posts
You got there on Tuesday as I was getting ready to head back to California. Glad you are liking your 'NEW' bike. It made all the difference in the world on the 2 bikes I got to ride that were converted on Monday and Tuesday.

Enjoy the ride!!

Ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
rayworx said:
You got there on Tuesday as I was getting ready to head back to California. Glad you are liking your 'NEW' bike. It made all the difference in the world on the 2 bikes I got to ride that were converted on Monday and Tuesday.

Enjoy the ride!!

Ray
Ray,
Explain. I assume you were either trailering or had a companion. That would be a long ride having to straddle two bikes, even with Traxxion installed.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
600 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
221 Posts
Ken,

Did you just have the front springs replaced or the cartridges installed? I'm going to have the OEM front fork springs replaced with the Traxxion springs and have the rear shock replaced. I'm hoping to have this done at Raceworx near Ft. Work since I live in the San Antonio area. (I concur about IH10 from the Texas state line heading east).

Ed W.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
Joined
·
410 Posts
Jack D

I'll try to give you some info on comfort of Traxxion.

I have the full blown setup.

Is the Traxxion more plush? No... Is it more comfortable... Mentally... Yes . Physically... maybe.

Ok, what do I mean. If your looking for a ride like a Lexus, or Lincoln Town Car, you won't get it with Traxxion. When I ride with the Traxxion, I find it very much like my Corvette. You feel the road more. It feels more like you're in control.

Now, having said that, I was concerned that my wife would not like the ride. Which did concern me after spending almost $1800 on it. Something completely surprising happened when the extra weight from a passenger was added. The suspension calmed tremendously. With the extra weight, it did in fact ride more like a Lexus and less like a Corvette. For me this was perfect. I could ride agreesively by myself, but have a well behaved bike for the wife. Maybe our weight combined (445#)was perfect for the setup, I don't know. But it works for us.

Also, this passed weekend, we finally were able to do our test ride up to Echo Bay on Lake Mead. This ride ALWAYS caused the rear shock to bottom out. Not this time. All was wonderful. I should add that the bottoming out was with a Progressive Spring not the weak stock one. Also, my ride adjuster was/is right on. It starts preloading at 0. And we always ride on 25.

Will you like it.... I have no idea. All I can do is describe what my impression is. I like it.

Hope this helps. If I can give anymore info or maybe another way to describe the feel, let me know and I'll try. Although this is such a personal thing, all the talk in the world probably won't answer the question for you.

Kind of like saddles. Some people love the Corbin, other people hate it.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
661 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ucwinters said:
Ken,

Did you just have the front springs replaced or the cartridges installed? I'm going to have the OEM front fork springs replaced with the Traxxion springs and have the rear shock replaced. I'm hoping to have this done at Raceworx near Ft. Work since I live in the San Antonio area. (I concur about IH10 from the Texas state line heading east).

Ed W.
Front and rear. Front I think is the AK20.
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top