GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a beautiful day, today!! It was in the mid 80's, blue skys, only a few high clouds dotting the sky for as far as you could see. Needless to say, I rode the bike to work. I just wish I didn't have to have work as the destination. LOL. It's around 7:00 pm as I write this, and it's still 70 degrees outside. Yup, I'm rubbing it in.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
NIce Duane...not quite as nice as here though....still 83 at 9PM...just returned from a short ride......ahhhhhhhhh life is good!! 8)

·
Registered
274 Posts
Duane, since we're only 45 minutes away from each other let's meet and go somewhere a little cooler man. I am boiling here too. :roll:

It was 90 degrees yesterday and today it cooled of to a low 83 but still not cool enough. :wink:

Sorry Mark :lol:

Ride safe all,

·
Registered
94 Posts
I have fond memories of Bakersfield. They have the two biggest dives I've ever been in. In first place was the Texas Barrel House and in second place was a joint called the Blackboard. The Blackboard was a big dancehall. They had a huge bouncer that walked around in full police uniform with baton and a 45 colt auto, cocked and locked. Before the night was over he was beating on a guys head with that baton. The Texas Barrel house was worse. I ran into a gal working at a Mini Mart in Arkansas who was from Bakersfield. She had her nose busted when a guy took a swing at his girlfriend, missed, and struck her in the face. Bakersfield is the home of great Basque food. Its the only town where you can go anywhere in bib overalls and be welcome. Its the town of the working man.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
Duane

I guess all of California is stating to look pretty nice right now. Yep, you are in the flats, but you have some great riding very close for sure -- some of it will have to wait for the snow to melt I'm sure. We had beautiful riding days here in CO on Mon and Tue (60s), but yesterday the front came through and I have 2" of fresh snow this morning. Fortunately Spring is approaching and it won't last long. Just beautiful, however.

By the way, a good friend of mine if the Architectural Engineer for a large building going up in Bakersfield. I guess it is about 1 million square feet (if I remember correctly)and is an ice cream factory. After that is done you guys should have lots of fresh ice cream in Bakersfield for sure.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Jim,
You must have one fast motorcycle to make it from Lake Elsinore to Bakersfield in 45 minutes!! that's about 250mph!! :lol: and there is no easy way to get from Lake Elsinore to Bakersfield.
Duane, it'sNice now, but, what about when the "tullie"(SP) rolls in, or when it 100+ :oops: during the day and 90+ :cry: in the evening.
I'm real familiar with it, Phyllis is from Shafter, so we spent some time there.
Ride safe
Allen

·
Registered
1,304 Posts
Jim,
You must have one fast motorcycle to make it from Lake Elsinore to Bakersfield in 45 minutes!!
You'll have to excuse Jim he's still on European time. So when he arrives and looks at their clock he thinks he made really good time. But then again you should watch him ride, he brings new meaning to rapid transit. I think it's a carry over from the Autobahn.

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Allen, for whatever reason, we haven't had much "tule" fog for the last 5 or 6 years, maybe one or two days at a time when it's really thick. As for the real heat, we have one or two weeks in the summer time when it's really hot, but what more can a guy ask for than a Goldwing in the garage, and a pool in the back yard?

Nutzz, there already is a huge Nestle plant here, and I really don't know where the new one is going in. Bakersfield has really grown in the last few years, we're over 250.000 now. This years vacation plans have us coming to Colorado in early July in the Durango/Ouray/Gunnison area, along with 3 other couples on 1500 Goldwings. We're looking forward to some great scenery and roads.

Curt, about the only thing left of those two places are memories, but we do have Buck Owens Crystal Palace here now. The only place I know of where there is a Pontiac convertable (complete with tires, interior, etc.) mounted sideways on the wall behind the bar. We also do still have some of the best Basque food places you could ask for. What great food. How did you know I wear bibs to work in? LOL

It's 5:30 pm, and 82 degrees, in case anybody cares. LOL :lol:

·
Registered
91 Posts
You guys are making me sick with envy........I've just GOT to retire and get out of this snow. Can't believe how bad the "cabin fever" is this year :!: HELP..........send some sun :sun1:

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Here, Duane, have some of our weather....

:snow1: :snow1: :snow1: :snow1: :snow1:
:rain1: :rain1: :rain1: :rain1: :rain1:

snow flurries today, and high winds. changing to rain this weekend.

:(

·
Registered
37 Posts
Back to the West Coast

I have promised my family we will be moving west of the rockies within four years, I grew up in Sacramento and have lived in San Luis Obispo, Los Angeles, Houston TX, Portland OR, Owatonna MN and now Cleveland OH. It is too cold in the midwest for me, can't wait to get back to the left coast.
Jordan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts