GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a half helment and need a thin ear speaker for comfort. Can any one tell me of a good head set with good sound and that is thin? I tried J & M but the speakers are to thick. Thanks Gene

·
Registered
19,060 Posts
cut thru the speaker foam with a knife and press the speakers in. It's a 5 minute job

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The speakers go under the straps on the helment and when you tighten them if the speakers are not thin they are very uncomfortable...Gene

·
Registered
567 Posts
getfitted for challenger C earbuds from earinc.com, cut off the headphones on your headset and splice the earbuds on.

·
Registered
289 Posts
Gene,

All of the above are good sugestions. But I think I know what would work the best for you. I agree with Jon (who makes some of the best electronics available for our GoldWings) that earbuds are the way to go. My wife has complained about noise in her helmet and poor sound quality since day one. Even with EdSets (which many of us think are the best going) she was not happy and would turn the sound all the way down to her helmet.

A friend told me to see Marilyn ( owner of Now Hear This) while I was at the Ft. Worth IMS a few weeks ago. Marilyn has designed an earplug that is unique. It is soft and flexable so it conforms to any ear and is small enough that you really do put it IN your ear. Marilyn also makes an adapter that lets you plug into the standard Gold Wing plug and then plug in the earbuds. This way you can use the helmet speakers if you want or plug in the earbuds and still use your helmet mic. They fit so well my wife used them on the ride home and even with her regular speakers in the helmet said they were very comfortable. She commented on how much quieter they were and she actually listened to the radio all the way home.

She does not have these listed on her website so you must call her to get the information. Did I forget to mention she is an Audiologist with a full time practice in Miami? She knows her stuff and has an excellent reputation with those that know her.

Hear is the link to her site: http://www.plugup.com/

By the way, my wife uses the earbuds with her iPod and her portable DVD player all the time. She loves them !!!

They cost us $130, and the adapter for the Gold Wing was $60. Money well spent if you ask my wife.

I hope I don't sound like a salesman for her, but when I find a product this good from a great vendor, I just like to pass the info on to other riders.

Be safe,

Ti04

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Shure EC3's are about $100, with adapter from Ed at $45 + shipping.

For thin speakers (with excellent sound quality), try the IMC headsets. $95 from Whitehorse press and Sierra Electronics.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Headset

How does the sound quality (music) using the IMC compare with some of the older headsets from J&M? also the speaker thickness? Thanks

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
thickness: The J&M's are maybe 3/8" thick? while the IMC is about 1/8" (memory estimates only, but the IMC is much thinner.)

sound quality: it's like comparing a set of high quality home stereo headphones (like the Denon 950) to a $5 transistor radio (remember those?). Of course, you are still bound by the limits of the onboard sound system :). Speaker placement is absolutely critical, of course. You may have to use the bike's equalizer and turn down the bass, too. The IMC is the winner.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
David M. said:
The IMC is the winner.
Which model of IMC headset do you have?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
IMC GHS35, installed in the Justissimo

·
Registered
80 Posts
Open Face

I did get an open face IMC and after i installed it, the "boom" on the mic is very weak. I lean forward and it moved with its own weight abt 4" away. Also how did anyone mount the plug end to the helmet?

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
If you gently twist the mic around, the boom stiffens up. If you go too far, the wire will break.

I don't know what you mean by "the plug end to the helmet."

David M.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts