GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
927 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Aug 27. 2006 my wife and I had an accident with our 06 GoldWing. I thought I would share the details with you in hopes of reducing the possibility of someone else having an accident or being injuried. We had planned on a Sunday ride with my wifes' daughter and son-in-law that each have their own Harleys and who we have ridding with before. It had rained the day & night before and my wife and I rode through a couple of rain showers on the way to the kids house but it was forcast to improve. We were following the kids down some unfamiliar, to us, roads because of a local detour. For some reason I did not feel comfortable at the speed we were going but yet it didn't seem to be excessive either. We started into what I thought was a gently left bend in the road but the bike didn't seem to track the line that I thought it should and we were drifting off to the right shoulder. I aggresively leaned into the turn and the bike started to respond but by now the front tire was on the white edge line. At this point I got fixated on the front wheel and ran off onto the gravel shoulder. I backed off the throttle but did not touch the brakes. After a couple of wiggles the bike come back on to the asphalt and I thought that I might get things under control after all. WRONG. A couple of wiggles later we were down on our right side and I became a spectator. At some point we slid back off the road and into the gravel. Something on the bike dug in and the bike flipped and we flew off. I hit the ground and was belly surfing through the gravel watching the dirt and stones going by my open face shield. Then something hit me hard in the back and I thought 'That's not good'. Then I started to tumble. When I came to a stop I took stock of what would work and what wouldn't and to my surprise was nothing was broken and no blood anywhere. I looked around and my wife was about 15 feet down the shoulder and she was moving and said she was OK. About 30 feet past her the bike came to rest in the ditch now back on its right side. A volunteer fireman just happened to be a minute or two behind us an he stopped and took charge of the situation and soon had police & EMS on the scene. By the grace of God we felt that we were fine and declined to go to the hospital. Later that day the kids were driving us home and my wife started to complain of a severe headache. We took her to the hospital near our home where she was diagosed with a pool of blood between her brain and the skull ( sub durel hematoma ? ). She spent a couple of days in the hospital and was sent home. About a week later I took her to the hospital for a follow-up CT scan of the head and it was decided that she need to be admitted to the hospital where they took and drilled two holes in her head and flushed saline into one hole and drained it out the other hole. This relieved most of the pressure but not all. About 10 days later I took her back for another CT scan and will find out later this week if she will need a secound flushing. Aside from the headaches and the general weakness from staying home and doing nothing she is doing just great. After hours of trying to piece together the sequence of events I found out that the it was her that hit me in the back when we flew of the bike. She landed on me with her 'bionic' knee from an earlier knee replacement operation right in the area of my right kidney. She is not sure if landing on me lessened the impact of hitting the ground but she says she felt like the bear in this story from the internet http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=7761231905389466400 I thought that the bike was mechanically OK and would need alot of the tupperware replaced but the insurance company decided to total it. After alot of soul searching and proding from my wife I bought another 06 just like the first one with the addition of ABS. AS a matter of fact the dealer called while I was typing this and said it was ready for pickup. I thank God for being with us that day for I know that I had little to do with the outcome once things started. Now for just a few of the things I learned from this accident:
1. I don't care what the law says or how far I am going I will always wear my helmet and insist the passenger do the same. I was wearing a HJC full face and the gouges along the right side and the chin bar tell me I would most likely not be here today to tell this story if not for the helmet. My wife had a HJC flip face helmet and it shows almost no signs of impact aside from some small light scratches. The doctors said she probably had a weak blood vessel and it didn't take much for it to leak. My wife says the blood vessel was weak from all the years of pounding her head against the wall because of all the stupid things I have done in the past.

2. If there should be a 'next time' I will let myself be taken to the hospital right away so that someone who knows what they are doing can tell us if we are OK or not. When I think of how long it was from the time of the accident til my wife admitted she had a problem things could have gone down hill rapidly. Luckily it appears that she will recover with no ill effects.

3. I will continue to wear protective riding clothes. On the day of the accident I was wearing my Joe Rocket Phenoix 4 mesh jacket and First Gear rain pants. The jacket does not have so much as a loose thread even after sliding and rolling accross the asphalt and gravel. No shorts and flip flops for me.

4. I will not allow myself to ride under condition that I don't feel comfortable. If I can't 'keep up' I will meet you somewhere down the road.

5. I will make sure that I talk with everyone who is a passenger with me and explain what they can and cannot do while riding. My wife said she knew that she had to keep her arms and legs in and try to make herself as small as possible. The bike is made to be laid down and protect the rider & passenger just so long as you keep your arms and legs in. Had the bike stayed on the asphalt about the only damage would have been to the engine & saddle bag guards and my ego.

6. I know that you can not avoid every accident so I will continue to ask God to look after us as he did in this one.

7. I will try to remember one of the basic riding rules 'that you will go where you are looking'. I think that if I had not let myself get fixated on the edge of the road and simply looked down the road this accident may have been avoided.

I feel that we were very lucky this time and I don't want to give up and stop riding. My wife and I look forward to many more miles and I feel truely blessed to have a wife that not only enjoys our bike but encourages our riding.

Ride Safe
Ken

·
Registered
85 Posts
I share in you thanks! Glad everything turned out as well as it did. Prayers for your wife's complete recovery.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Glad you guys are alright.

You've listed lots of good advice there. We all know we should do all those things but sometimes we need a wakeup call I guess. A reminder is never a bad thing either.

Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
I'm glad that things are OK. It sounds like it could have been much worse. And, thank you for sharing your story as there are lessons to be learned. Your wife sounds like a "keeper" take good care of her!

·
Registered
922 Posts
If there should be a 'next time' I will let myself be taken to the hospital right away so that someone who knows what they are doing can tell us if we are OK or not. When I think of how long it was from the time of the accident til my wife admitted she had a problem things could have gone down hill rapidly. Luckily it appears that she will recover with no ill effects.

Excellent post. I hope if 1 person learns from this it will be a good thing. I know of 2 people who have died due to internal bleeding after an accident, thinking they were ok.

Thanks.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Glad you two are okay, and it's good to hear you're already back in the saddle (or will be as soon as you get to the dealer!).

Let me know how it feels on the new GW. I know I've had confidence issues this time around.

Good equipment makes such a difference. I need to buy better overpants. The mesh pants I have weren't made to go over the top of other clothes (it seems).

Hugs to that awesome wife of yours!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Thanks for posting your story, Ken.

I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers. Here's to a speedy recovery.

Dep

·
Registered
210 Posts
Thank you for sharng your story. Some very good advise inwhich Ive taken to heart.. Glad you and your wife are ok. Ride safe and take care.

·
Registered
4,194 Posts
Ken, I am glad to hear you are both going to be OK. Thanks for taking the time to share what happened. I know in the two accidents I have had, I have been very thankful for helmets, protective gear and glad I was not riding anything smaller than a Wing (both were cages making left turns into my path). Heal well, ride safe, ride long and enjoy the new Wing.

·
Registered
2,224 Posts
Thanks for the story. A powerful reminder to us all. Take care and give that great wife of yours a hug.

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
Thank you for your post. I took you notes to heart.

I am glad you haven't given up on two wheeled vehicles.

Herb

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I'm glad you're mostly o.k.
Thanks for sharing, I appreciate when riders share their accident stories, it reminds me to not get complacent. I ride full gear all the time after my last get off 20 yrs ago. I was wearing a full face helmet thankfully (helmet had chunks taken out all around) but was wearing jeans, and denimen jacket that left some good cuts and scars. Sometimes in these hot GA summers I get tempted to wear a open face helmet but know I could get seriously injured if I did.

Take care and be safe,

Steve

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I am truly happy to hear you and your wife are ok. Thanks for sharing your story as I came away with some great things to think about.

·
Registered
6,793 Posts
Thanks for sharing and I think we can all learn from this post.

I agree that the Lord was with you and pray he rides with all of us.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Great Post!! Glad everything worked out to benefit both of you. This is a great reminder to all of us. Be safe and enjoy that new ride.... :yes1:

·
Registered
750 Posts
Man, SCARY ride!! Glad you folks are okay!!! I ALWAYS ride with a flip-up full face helmet, Tourmaster Cortec jacket or Moto Sport AST jacket and Hein Gericke ballistic mesh pants(all pads inserted) and above the ankle tie up boots. Folks on ride sometimes look at me as if I'm nuts and comment about my gear and I reply "sweat is alot easier to wipe off than road rash!"
I am an RN in an 18 bed Emergency Room, Level 2 trauma center and I have seen/cared for some real nasty injuries on riders that only had a helmet on for protection.
Thanks for the post!!!

·
Registered
327 Posts
Glad to hear you and your wife are o.k....thanks for stressing the importance of safety gear as it has become a topic of discussion on this board lately. We need to keep it on the forefront to remind our fellow riders how important safety gear is...thanks again. 8)

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
I, too, am very glad you two didn't get hurt more than you did. No luck involved, unless you capitalize Luck. God WAS with you that day and I'm glad to see you giving Him His due. I trust your wife will heal quickly now and be ready to join you for future rides real soon now.

Mesquite Bob

1 - 20 of 28 Posts