GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. Being we now have 4 cracked zones on the frame it becomes very obvious the frame is systemically flawed. The frame has cracked, at the cross member under the seat, at the cross member at the center stand and now at the left and right rear stringers.

2. The probability of these cracks being “unrelated” is astronomical.

3. Hondas re-weld recall did not fix the frame problem. Albeit the TIG/MIG weld explanation could have contributed to the premature failure, but it did not fix the systemic frame cracking. In contrast a case could be made the TIG/MIG “explanation” was bogus from the get go. Which is not far fetched when you consider Hondas explantion:
a. We eleminated the TIG weld.
b. We instituted a less robust QC program on the weld line and...
c. We put a newbie on the weld line.

Does ANYBODY believe a company like Honda would do all that at the same time? DUH!

4. Honda has not presented any evidence they have corrected the problem on the ’04 bikes.

5. Buying a ’04 GL1800 believing its frame will not crack, is a crap shoot.

6. NOBODIES bike is safe.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Laserman, . . . you have scared me so badly that I am going to go hide in my closet and never come out, . . . . . much less ever ride my adorable (never had a speck of problem with) Goldwing again. Thanks so much for bringing this TERRIBLE catastrophe to my attention. I might have never known and gotten killed!

G

·
be interesting to see if there is a major frame change for 2005...new material perhaps? certainly that would to send a message.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
I feel better all the time that I bought a left over '01 for $200 less than I would have had to pay for an '02 because I really liked the pearl blue color. I never overheated and my frame never cracked all I had was a sticking speedometer that was easily fixed because it had been found long before I bought my bike. I do feel for you guys with your broken frames but I am glad that mine has not broken once.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Snazzy Nazzy Biker said:
Laserman, . . . you have scared me so badly that I am going to go hide in my closet and never come out, . . . . . much less ever ride my adorable (never had a speck of problem with) Goldwing again. Thanks so much for bringing this TERRIBLE catastrophe to my attention. I might have never known and gotten killed!

>>>>sigh<<<<<< pulling the covers over your head may help also... that is if you can get it out of the sand.

·
Registered
136 Posts
My 04 Titanium ABS will be in next month. I thought all the bugs would be out of the 1800 by now. But with this new frame crack issue has me worried. I don't know if I should buy or fly. That's alot of coin to put out for a bike that I'll have to check for cracks everytime I go for a ride.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not new to Hondas. I was bit by the bike bug when I was 15 and been infected ever since. Always had a Honda of some sort in the garage for the last 40 years(except for one Yamaha). Loved them all. Sold my gl1200 last fall and been looking forward to the 1800 all winter. Thought of buying another make of bike, but there's not another touring bike that comes close to the Goldwing. I could wait for an 05 and hope for a change. But that might not be any better if hurried to get something out to replace the 1800. Has anyone have an 1800 that they haven't had any problems with? It sure would be nice to get some positive feedback for a change. I'll be sitting here scratching my head wondering what to do. I have one month to decide.

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
If.....

If I had it to do over now, I'm not sure what I would do. Will just say that I have 32k+ miles on my 02 and it is beautiful and has been a job. Would have preferred that it not have O2 sensor problems as delivered from the factory (all fixed and no later problems) and I wish the OH problem did not exist. But, that's the only problems that I have had so far. Plan to put 20k+ miles on this year and we'll see how it is doing. No indications of frame cracks so far. But, I do think that Honda missed a few key things in the engineering and QC. Not sure what I could have purchased to do what this bike does, so might go ahead and make the purchase if doing it all over. EXCEPT, if I had not ridden and realized just how much fun this bike can be, these issues might scare me off. There is no doubt that it must be having some impact and that Honda MUST be taking note. So, can't tell you what to do. If you are ready to ride, however, not sure you have much choice but to move forward. Waiting may not be a good result either.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Bookum, you want some positive feedback? Or are you asking if anybody has had a 1800 with no problems? You have had bikes for a long time, and so have I. I have a GL 1800 01 nr 1224 since new. It is pushing 40000 miles, and has never failed to bring me home. In comfort. And did what I wanted it to do. Problems? Define problem. It has had the CB crap out, the CD changer jam, been recalled for or five times for various reason (trigger wheel, front tire, ECM, kill switch) and modified, brakes wore out, paint scratched, tires go flat, and other things that some call problems, but to me are merely discomforts.

Never in 40000 miles on this 1800, nor on any other heavy touring bike have I ever felt my being was threatened by the machine or workmanship. By conditions, weather, and experience, yes, but NOT by the machine.

Would I get another one? In a blink of an eye. It is by far the most comfortable, sporty feeling, trustworthy heavy touring bike ever made, but is also the most complex. The best way to make things fail is to have more things, which is what we have. Anyone been hurt by all the frame issues? None THAT I AM AWARE OF. I'm sure someone will tell us how many there have been, but how many bikes were built? How often the failure? A dozen failures in 40,000 bikes that have gone how many miles? I would think, statisticaly, a dirt biker is taking a bigger risk than we are.

I treat the bike just as I do any other complex peice of equipment. I don't jump into a Cessna without a preflight, don't fire up the boat until I go thru venting the bilge, don't start a Peterbuilt until I check the oil and air, and don't yank the bike out once every two months without checking it over.

I also don't expect life to be trouble free, but don't want to go looking for a problem, either. Thats why I have the 1800 - the rewards FAR outwith the anoyances. The best way I have ever seen Glacier National Park, Yellowstone, Bannf, British Columbia, Arizona, etc. It even makes a trip to the Dairy Queen nearly worth while - if its far enough away.

I have had bikes since 1955, all brands, lots of Hondas, some HD, several Kaws, some Yanahas, a BSA, a Bonnie, and even been coast to coast on a Zundap (Now that was DUMB). What would I do different? Let you know when the 05's come out. Right now, I'm riding. Let Lazerman cower in the corner. I'm busy. Hope to see you on the road - but your future is in your own hands.

·
Registered
136 Posts
IR HARRY

THANKS THAT'S WHAT I NEEDED! NOW I CAN GO TO BED AND DREAM ABOUT MY 04 TITANIUM ABS!

·
Registered
891 Posts
Fram crack

If your frame cracks,get two cases of beer,invite ten of you fattest frieds over.Drink a few beers,all try to sit on the bike at the same time,really crack dat fram.Then put it in the pickumup truck go to a lonely road,throw that dog out de back and go lay by it.I bet you get a new Wing. :roll:

·
Registered
21,137 Posts
I couldn't be happier with my 1800 and would for sure without a doubt buy another.

·
Registered
9,099 Posts
Purple, 10 friends and only TWO casses of beer?

Send me some of yur friends. Most of mine wouldn't show up, with only two cases....:lol:

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
Laserman said:
5. Buying a ’04 GL1800 believing its frame will not crack, is a crap shoot.
Being that I'm a gambler, I'll take that bet. Sounds to me like we've heard all this before. It's just in a different location. Been there, done that. You should be more worried about just getting your Goldwing out of the garage. You've got a far better chance of getting your a$$ ran over, than your frame cracking. Mine was one of the 03's that cracked so bad the frame had to be replaced. Of course, I ended up getting the 04, but I still love the Goldwing, as it beats Harley's all to hell. And I WILL ride this one till it breaks into also! It's going to take a lot more than a few cracked frames for this ol' boy to give up his Wing.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts