GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Speaking of too tight. I broke the allen wrench today on a seat bolt. Snapped in right off. I have had this happen on several things on my07. I still have a bolt on my foot peg I can not get out. Are they playing games at the factory. There is not excuse to put something on that tight. The other 3 bolts were in sung. But I had to put a cheater on the allen and it was so tight I knew it was going to break.
Anyone else having this problem or is it just me.

·
Registered
114 Posts
depcons said:
Speaking of too tight. I broke the allen wrench today on a seat bolt. Snapped in right off. I have had this happen on several things on my07. I still have a bolt on my foot peg I can not get out. Are they playing games at the factory. There is not excuse to put something on that tight. The other 3 bolts were in sung. But I had to put a cheater on the allen and it was so tight I knew it was going to break.
The seat wasn't put on at the factory, it was installed by the local dealer. You need to speak to them about it.

Harold

·
Registered
4,738 Posts
hillcityrider said:
depcons said:
The seat wasn't put on at the factory, it was installed by the local dealer. You need to speak to them about it.

Harold
Especially since the threads are so easy to strip out.

·
Registered
5,015 Posts
I never thought about the seat being installed at the dealer. I would go have a chitty chat with my dealer.

·
Registered
5,940 Posts
Try a hand impact driver. Very few "too tight" bolts this won't loosen. I've used mine hundreds of times.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
My 2007 Goldwing seat bolts were very tight, Had to use a impact wrench to remove one. Put never seize on the threads to prevent this from reoccurring.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
When you get the bolts out, make sure the donuts are in place. I had 2 lying UNDER the seat and the bolts had been tightened down to the shoulders. I could barely get them loose. Once out, I ran a tap through the holes and used anti-seize. No more problems since then.

Andy

·
Registered
170 Posts
DEPCONS: I experienced the same thing on my '02, which I bought new. When I put the armrests on my wing, that bolted on to the seat bolts, I had to use a cheater bar, and I bent the heck out of two allen wrenches. Have you changed your own oil yet? My dealer (I suppose they do this) put the oil filter on so tight that no wrench, including the oil filter wrench that Honda sells for the inflated price of $12, would budge it.
I drilled two holes in a cup type filter remover and drove two dry wall screws through these holes and into the filter, and then it just did start to move. Almost pulled the drywall screws out. I told my service dept mgr. about this and he said, "Yeah, we've had a few other people complain about this".......... Ride Safe, Stobby.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Also snapped an Allen key off on my 06 seat bolts from new.

Never sieze applied and all is now ok.

Oil filter was solid also. I used one of those types that clamp up as it turns. Dented the filter, but it came off.

Trev.

·
Registered
667 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, I emailed the dealer about the bolts being to tight. I went into great detail on which bolts were ruined, and needs replacing. He wrote right back and stated that he put a copy of the email on the assembly managers desk about his help strong arming the bolts.
I am going to the local dealer and getting a set of the longer, tappered end bolts for the seat tomorrow and never seize.
I was wondering if this was a me thing or it was happening elsewhere.
thanks for the come backs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts