GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My bike won't turn over, or go in reverse. I load tested the battery and it's good. I just get a click. I do a lot of my own maintenance, but this is a bit over my head.

Any way, I made an appointment at the Honda dealer on Clinton Ave in Knoxville, but they can't get me in until May 6th. I sure hate to have the bike sit a whole month.

My question is, does anyone know of someone/place, in the grater Knoxville area, qualified who could trouble shoot and perhaps replace the starter on my 2006 GL1800, which is what I suspect?

Thanks
Burt

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Might be starter, more likely starter relay. Bike uses two - A & B relay.

However - @pidjones Got time to help him?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't think it's the relay(s). When I push the starter button I can hear it click.

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
I don't think it's the relay(s). When I push the starter button I can hear it click.
Again, there are two relays located side by side, behind left saddle bag. I've replaced many relays, never a starter.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A couple of questions since you seem to know.

I went to the dealer and they want $75.00 (each) for the two relays with different part numbers. On Amazon they are $15 for comparable ones.

Are both the reverse and starter relays the same?

There are a ton of comparable ones, are they just as good or should I go with OEM? Which ones do you use?

thanks for your time
Burt

·
Registered
538 Posts
Buy only Honda relays and save yourself a lot of trouble a road trip. They can click and still be bad. Need to check relays with a volt meter

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Relay A & B are the same relays (physically), however they have different pigtail connectors, therefore different stock numbers. 😉

And yes, they're about $75 each.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
I could come over and do what most dread - remove and re-install the seat. But, I've never messed with the relays. I could probably figure it out (I have a manual). Drop me a PM when the relays get in if you'd like me to come over and help. Or you could buy my '06!

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, I put in the two relays and the same thing. I can hear them both click, and I traced the 12v from the battery thru the A relay, to the B relay and still the starter will not turn. I push in the reverse button and the reverse actuator works.

To get to the starter you have to remove the gas tank. I have done that once before to redo the main ground. I'm in no hurry to do it again.

I think I'm going to have to bite the bullet and just take it to the dealer while holding my butt.........

BTW, both of the old relays checked good. It's like taking $125 and burning it. But I guess it's insurance for the future. After all, the bike is 15 years old and has 130,000 miles on it. I use the reverse all the time to get in my garage.

Anyone have any other suggestions???? I'm open to them. The bike is still that far apart.

Burt

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
If you get Phil (the older tech - I think that's his name), he was well-recommended by Whimpy and did great work putting mine back together after a tumble in '17. James Brown is one of their service writers and woked very hard for me to keep cost down.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Burstr:: FYI:: TIP:: Be sure that whoever physically puts the starter in knows that it MUST!!!! be pushed in by HAND and cannot be drawn into the engine by using the bolts as it will bust the internal gear!!!!!!!!!!

Any doubts about how to do it. Ask Fred H. or someone that has done it .. If done wrong means engine out and split cases...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts