GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to buy a backrest for my 2010 Wing. There are several out there and would like to know what kind that you guys have and what you like/don't like about them. I noticed that there are quite a few on Ebay but I am hesitant to buy one when I know nothing about them.

As always, all replies are appreciated!

Russ

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just put a Utopia on mine yesterday. No seat time yet :(, but friends of mine have them. Personally I like the way it looks. I think they look like they came factory on the bike. Took me about an hour to install.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about a Utopia, but would like to have a bit more adjustment to it. The Utopia looks as if it will always be in one position. Is this correct?

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'd like to have a backrest on my Wing as well. I've never taken the plunge because I haven't figured out how to mount the bike with a backrest installed. At my age I can just barely swing my leg high enough to clear the passenger seat and sure can't swing it high enough to clear a backrest. I've tried stepping up on the pegs and that makes it easy but I've never quite trusted the side stand to hold up both the bike and me while I'm mounting.

What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I was thinking about a Utopia, but would like to have a bit more adjustment to it. The Utopia looks as if it will always be in one position. Is this correct?

Yes and No. It has an adjustable allen bolt to fine tune the backrest to your preference. Once set put some thread lock on the threads.

But no you cannot adjust it to different heights and angles quickly.

Not so sure you would want to, maybe in winter or summer to adjust for the jacket or something.

·
Registered
51 Posts
The Utopia adjusts to tilt forward or back and also adjusts in height. It will also lay flat on the drivers seat while installed to allow the passenger to mount easier. For myself, I mount the bike with it up, I put my foot and leg straight across the front seat instead of swinging it over the rear seat.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I'd like to have a backrest on my Wing as well. I've never taken the plunge because I haven't figured out how to mount the bike with a backrest installed. At my age I can just barely swing my leg high enough to clear the passenger seat and sure can't swing it high enough to clear a backrest. I've tried stepping up on the pegs and that makes it easy but I've never quite trusted the side stand to hold up both the bike and me while I'm mounting.

What are your thoughts?
I use the pegs, floorboards, whatever to get on and off all the time. Many do.

Each case of a sheared peg , once it all is known, had an tip over or some other something that cracked the pegs.

Sidestand is not gonna snap. Even if it did, that is a slow speed tip over , the bike will simply sit on the crash bars.

·
Registered
989 Posts
I used about a 3/16" piece of metal about 1" long to raise mine on my '02. Once you find the height you like just cut a piece and drop it in the female receptacle.
I have a Russell on my '05 and love it!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Utopia

Utopia is the only way to GO, It adjust's up and down, and back and forth. It also fold's down so you can get on, and off easily. I stand up on the foot peg to give me plenty of room to swing my leg. The Utopia also can come with an optional mount, so you can remove the back rest easily if you want, at a slight extra cost. Utopia is manufactured buy a Christan Famly, and the service is exceptional........It's very easy to install also...

·
Registered
593 Posts
What Dayday said. . . . :agree:

·
Registered
238 Posts
the one thing I don't like about the Utopia...

For me at least, it's like having a hot plate in the middle of my back, even on not so hot days. I like that I can adjust it fore and aft, (I do this even while in transit, although the spousal unit thought I was getting frisky the first time I tried it) and that I can remove it while I'm just running around town. But the sweating becomes quite uncomfortable in time and I may look into one that has the hollow middle portion or just have this one modified.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
The Utopia is ver adjustable in all ways. Forward, back, up down. Once you find the correct height...you lock it in that position. As for forward and backward...I adjust mine every ride depending on how much and what gear I have on. If I want to sit straight up or I want to slouch a bit.

Best B/R out there IMO.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
Utopia is the best one available, in my opinion. It's as comfortable as any and is not as big and bulky as some I've seen.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I went with the Kuryakan backrest as I was hesitant to cut into my seat to mount the Utopia. It has limited adjustability (3 positions front-back only) but I find it suits me quite well in the third (back) position. I'm 6'0" with a 32" inseam and the Kuryakan fits in the middle of my back, just below the shoulder blades. At first I didn't think I would like it there but now I'm quite happy with where it fits. As for getting on/off the bike, I've given up trying to swing my leg over and find it easiest if I just lift my leg over the seat. It may look awkward, but it's not. I don't trust the durability of the side-stand to ever stand on the pegs while mounting the bike.

·
Registered
386 Posts
After reading all the posted here I bought the Utopia, and like many others was squimesh about cutting the seat. I watched the video that Bartman posted and followed the installation instruction to the letter and all is well. I love the back rest and adjustment isn't a problem. The only real complaint I have is it gets hot and makes by back sweat awful. I'm trying to figure out a fix for that issue, but other than being hot, I love it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
314 Posts
Backrest

Utopia! No need to reiterate the correctness of the other replys of the worthyness of this decision.

·
Registered
1,849 Posts
I went with the Kuryakan backrest as I was hesitant to cut into my seat to mount the Utopia. . .
Don't let the need to cut into the seat scare you off of getting probably the best GL1800 backrest made! Read the directions carefully; measure TWICE; cut ONCE. It's not really that difficult. The Utopia is quality made, looks OEM and is adjustable as people have said. I've heard that some passengers do not like how the metal of the Kuryakyn backrest rubs on their legs - especially smaller-framed riders with narrow hips who must hug the sides of the back seat.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Love my Utopia!!! Looks perfectly integrated with the stock seat, very comfortable and I can move it forward or back. I cant adjust the height but don't need to. I had to cut the seat as well and was extremely anxious - drank a beer - read the directions several times - drank a beer - got into a zen state and pictured in my mind making the cut - drank a beer. Then I made the cut - perfect - drank a beer. Then installed the seat and drank a beer. Didn't test it out until the next day when I could drive sober.

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
I have a Utopia on my Heritage and will soon be getting one for the Wing.

Can't beat the quality or the comfort. :thumbup:

Plus, they're made about 70 miles from home.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts