GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are some of your thoughts about the Kawasaki Concours? I’m thinking for a second bike it might be some fun for sporting around single riding. 2019 new can be bought for about $11.5 They don’t have a bunch of bells and whistles, but they do have heated grips, electric windshield, couple of side bags, TPM, pretty large gas tank, 36 moth warranty, the engine and trans are very smooth, I was surprised, and these things will pull with power!! Seat comfort sure isn’t a RDL as my wing, probably would be a little difficult for a few hundred miles. No cruise control, which could be a major setback nowadays, I figure a throttle lock will work in a pinch. Also would need the 2 inch handlebar risers, they are a little low for me. Prices from what I understand are down on the sport cruiser market, the local dealer had none and said when he has had them, they didn’t sell? Seems like a lot of bang for your buck with the Concours. Seems used 9 or 10 years old are about $6k
Curious as to your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Vendor
16,647 Posts
I rode one back in 2007 and could not believe how smooth the transmission was. I have customers who have both, the Concourse and the Yami FJR, and both scoots are well liked.

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
My son has a 2009 Kawasaki Concours C-14 that he bought new. It is a great bike and has been on several long trips with my Gold Wing.:

·
Registered
437 Posts
I used to have a Connie. Nice bike. Consider an FJR, it has cruise and everything else.

Just have to ask, why are you looking at a big and heavy bike?
I was looking for a second bike and decided the Connie and FJR were just too much like a Wing in that respect. I wanted something lighter and sportier. Got a Multistrada, was also considering an Africa Twin, an FZ09, and NC750.

·
Registered
40 Posts
I understand the Connie is an awesome bike, but too similar to the Wing for me. My dream 2nd bike is an Africa Twin. The wife is not having any talk of a “2nd bike” rn.....?

·
Registered
812 Posts
I had a couple Kawasaki bikes and they were pretty bullet proof. I rode thousands of miles with my buddy who had a Yamaha FJR and it was a rocket! You can pick up a used FJR for 5 grand or less with reasonably low miles. Good bikes.

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
The C14 is a great proven bike with over a decade of development in pretty
much the same platform. The problem is that it actually feels heavier than the Wing to me. It has a high center of gravity. Now if you want something to peel your wig back so to speak then the C14 is your bike. Standby for a grin every-time you twist the wrist.

If I bought a 2nd bike for the stable it would be a retro Kawasaki Z900RS or its naked brother the Z900.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
SPORT riding by yourself? 1st or 2nd Gen ZX14. Will blow the Connie off the road. LSL bars will bring them up 5 and back 5 for a comfortable ride. I test drove one and decided to get a wing instead for cruising and Keep my 09 ZX14 for all out fun. I did like the FJR better though. Not sure of the money situation but I think you will be happy with any older Connie or FJR or ?? Get ready to enjoys both worlds of fun whatever you choose. SO MANY FUN CHOICES out there to ride. (y)?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I traded my C14 for my Wing. The two bikes are way too similar to own at the same time, in my opinion. My second bike is an HD Road King, so that's way on the other end of the universe.

That said, the C14 is a hoot to ride. The Ninja 1000 has cruise now.

·
Registered
768 Posts
The Concours are great bikes in any configuration, especially for the low investment cost (as are FJRs and ST1300's). Never had one of the rocket ship C14's but I owned two of the retro C10's and they were practically bulletproof and quick/sporty. Not as smooth as the C14 or the ST. They certainly had "personality". Maintainence was minimal and relatively easy.
IMG_0688.JPG
IMG_0686.JPG

·
Registered
437 Posts
I owned two of the retro C10's and they were practically bulletproof and quick/sporty. Not as smooth as the C14 or the ST. They certainly had "personality". Maintainence was minimal and relatively easy.
I had a 1986 ZG1000 Connie (first production year, with the short bars). It was an awesome bike for the time. Quick, fast, but damn she was a heavy (and top-heavy) beast.
My GW is much easier to handle at slow speeds, and anymore the only place I'd be using more speed is at the track.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Quite a bit of overlap between a C14 and the Wing. You may want to test ride some shorter wheelbase, lighter bikes. I love my SuperDuke. Very nimble and quick. But there are several out there.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
I had a C14 and a FJR during my Wing ownership days. I preferred the FJR to the C14....a little smaller, a little lighter and a bit more nimble than the C14. If the riding position is a bit too aggressive, you may want to consider a Versys 1000......upright riding position, bullet-proof engine, saddlebags and a rack......throw a set of heated grips on it and a Madstad windshield and you have a very capable machine.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I say go for it! A lot of replies are saying there is too much overlap between the Connie and the Wing, but I respectfully disagree. Just because two bikes are built for long distance doesn't mean they feel remotely the same when you're riding them. They have completely different characteristics including, seating, peg location, handlebars, acceleration, handling, etc., etc. I love to ride long distance and every cool smaller, sportier bike I've bought over the years I've ended up trying to modify it for long distance travel! It just doesn't ever work out for me and I end up selling it or trading it in for the next toy.

I like what I like. I like smooth long distance touring/sport touring bikes. I guess some would call me the king of overlap! I currently have a new Wing, BMW K1600GT, Honda F6B and a BMW K1600B. They all have a similar purpose, but they all do it in a unique way and I love whichever one I'm on at the time the most. In other words, it sounds like a great idea to me to add a Connie to your stable! Now you have me looking for one!

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
What are some of your thoughts about the Kawasaki Concours? I’m thinking for a second bike it might be some fun for sporting around single riding. 2019 new can be bought for about $11.5 They don’t have a bunch of bells and whistles, but they do have heated grips, electric windshield, couple of side bags, TPM, pretty large gas tank, 36 moth warranty, the engine and trans are very smooth, I was surprised, and these things will pull with power!! Seat comfort sure isn’t a RDL as my wing, probably would be a little difficult for a few hundred miles. No cruise control, which could be a major setback nowadays, I figure a throttle lock will work in a pinch. Also would need the 2 inch handlebar risers, they are a little low for me. Prices from what I understand are down on the sport cruiser market, the local dealer had none and said when he has had them, they didn’t sell? Seems like a lot of bang for your buck with the Concours. Seems used 9 or 10 years old are about $6k
Curious as to your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks guys

Well I talked with the dealer today about the Concours, looks like I can get it OTD for $12,556
Boy I’m close to pulling the trigger. I’m liking a 36 month warranty that come with the new purchase also.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
I bought the ST-1300 as an alternative to my 1500 Wing. Riding the ST-1300 compared to the big Wing was like night and day. Then I bought a 2008 Wing, and found that the Wing was sporty enough that I didn't ride the ST-1300 as much.

·
Registered
1,370 Posts
I have owned 3 C1400's they are great bike. I would still have one except my hips could not handle the position anymore. Cruise control from MCCruise is the way to go on the Connie. I personally like it better than cruise on the wing. I think you will truely enjoy the new Concours if you purchase it.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts