GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
the C1400 I rode felt top heavy when going into a turn at speed, if you want something with a full fairing ...look at a FJR....or get adventurous and look at a New 1000c Vstrom...narrow between the knees, easy to flick into corners, and you can add all kinds of farkles

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Nice looking bike!! I really haven’t seen to many who didn’t like the Connie.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The crash bars and especially the foot pegs look like a gotta have. Especially foot pegs for a change of position

·
Registered
770 Posts
The Connie is a great bike, I had one for about 5 years, I agree with the other posts though I felt they were quite top heavy, the newer Wing feels about them same weight wise even though heavier, the Wing just carry's the weight lower which makes it so much easier to maneuver at lower speeds.

Happy hunting, there's some amazing deals out there on bikes right now, I'm happily stocking up! :)

·
Registered
613 Posts
If you haven't bought it yet, consider how top heavy this bike is. With a full tank of gas and at slow speed, it is a handful. Once moving the weight, like on the Goldwing, seems to disappear, but at walking speed the weight is very noticeable and very high off the ground. FWIW, I wanted a second "bike" to complement my Goldwing, but I wanted something really small and lightweight for quick errands around town. I ended up with Honda PCX150 scooter which is unbelievably fun to ride, and with the huge underseat storage a perfect "errands" bike. But now I am thinking I need to add a third bike, something highway capable, but no more than half the weight of the Goldwing. I'm leaning toward the Triumph Street Twin right now.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I have owned three Kawasaki Concours c14's, they are really nice bikes.
I have also owned an FJR at the same time as a C14, The C14 is smoother and the transmission shifts a lot better.
I have not ridden the new FJR...

·
Registered
206 Posts
I've owned Wings and a Valkyrie non stop since 1983. I owned a 2011 Concours new for six years. Incredibly fast bike, makes ALL the Wings, including my 2018 look like a Model A. Trouble is, I took the wife on a 10 day ride on it once, and she said no more, next long trip, we take the Wing. So after awhile I realized that there really wasn't any more reason to own it, so I sold it.
My second bike now is a DL650 VStrom which I ride extensively in Mexico and Central America.
So I guess my advice would be, what do you really want to use it for?
If you want a real crotch rocket as a second bike, that you'll always ride solo, then buy a real crotch rocket.

·
Registered
649 Posts
I had a C14 and a FJR during my Wing ownership days. I preferred the FJR to the C14....a little smaller, a little lighter and a bit more nimble than the C14.
FJR1300 is hella fun to ride!
20190529-164728.jpg
Take off the saddlebags and top trunk and you have a very sporty bike that won't kill your back!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Between the C14 and FJR, I pick the FJR. I’ve owned both and enjoyed the FJR more.

As for a second bike to compliment the Wing, depends on what you are looking to use it for. Solo long distance road, FJR or maybe the Versys 1000 (shaft or chain, more sporty or touring). Adventure riding (T12, AT or GS). More city friendly, (DL650, CB500X or T7 for more dirt).

Good luck on your pick.

·
Registered
11 Posts
What are some of your thoughts about the Kawasaki Concours? I’m thinking for a second bike it might be some fun for sporting around single riding. 2019 new can be bought for about $11.5 They don’t have a bunch of bells and whistles, but they do have heated grips, electric windshield, couple of side bags, TPM, pretty large gas tank, 36 moth warranty, the engine and trans are very smooth, I was surprised, and these things will pull with power!! Seat comfort sure isn’t a RDL as my wing, probably would be a little difficult for a few hundred miles. No cruise control, which could be a major setback nowadays, I figure a throttle lock will work in a pinch. Also would need the 2 inch handlebar risers, they are a little low for me. Prices from what I understand are down on the sport cruiser market, the local dealer had none and said when he has had them, they didn’t sell? Seems like a lot of bang for your buck with the Concours. Seems used 9 or 10 years old are about $6k
Curious as to your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks guys

I have had a 2012 Concours as a second bike for my winters in SC. The cruise control and seat comort is the most notable lack compared to the Wing. I would now buy the more expensive Yamaha FJR1300 for the cruise control.

·
Registered
318 Posts
While you’re at the Kawasaki dealer, look at a Versys 1000 LT. I traded for one, a few weeks back, and love it. Lightweight, with a slightly detuned Ninja engine. I have ‘18 Wing, but added the Versys to the stable for shorter trips.

773828CD-605D-42D0-8294-3B90C13CFE9A.jpeg

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Nice looking bike!!
I’m really caught by the Concours, also been looking at used. Joined ZGGTR to look at what may be on the used market Concours market. These guys want above book consistently on the used market, and it’s winter? They dump thousands of dollars in what they want in upgrades, and expect to get it all back.
Have to have the stars line up for that to happen. Leaning towards the new at $12,555 OTD
Eight to ten year old bikes the want 8K for. CRAZY!!

·
Registered
49 Posts
FWIW, I have never ridden the Connie, but I have read and seen enough reviews to know that the FJR outhandles it by a wide margin. I am on my 3rd feejer and I am approaching 70 yrs in age. Switching back and forth with my GW is "living the dream" !

·
Registered
645 Posts
Personally, I don't see the point in having another street bike to "back up" my wing. Now a dirt bike, track bike, or collectible bike, that's different. Anywhere I go, I am happy to go on the wing as it works for all the street style riding I do. I am just more comfortable riding the same bike all the time knowing it's characteristics and control positions so well. I don't need to think, which bike am I on? when I need to do something like brake hard or move suddenly. All bikes handle differently but I know just how my Wing will react in most situations I encounter. I know, I make me sound old and boring which I guess I am. For me it's kind of like this excuse the DCT riders now use for not wanting a clutch, "it's one less thing to think about".:p

21 - 40 of 50 Posts