GL1800Riders Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've ridden a Connie a few times and it's a slightly sportier version of the Wing. Love Kawi but if you want variety what about this Yamaha?
  • 2017 FZ-09.jpg

·
Registered
4 Posts
What are some of your thoughts about the Kawasaki Concours? I’m thinking for a second bike it might be some fun for sporting around single riding. 2019 new can be bought for about $11.5 They don’t have a bunch of bells and whistles, but they do have heated grips, electric windshield, couple of side bags, TPM, pretty large gas tank, 36 moth warranty, the engine and trans are very smooth, I was surprised, and these things will pull with power!! Seat comfort sure isn’t a RDL as my wing, probably would be a little difficult for a few hundred miles. No cruise control, which could be a major setback nowadays, I figure a throttle lock will work in a pinch. Also would need the 2 inch handlebar risers, they are a little low for me. Prices from what I understand are down on the sport cruiser market, the local dealer had none and said when he has had them, they didn’t sell? Seems like a lot of bang for your buck with the Concours. Seems used 9 or 10 years old are about $6k
Curious as to your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
It's nice to see that I'm not the only one hanging onto my FJR. Thinking of keeping it for another year or two.

·
Registered
1,678 Posts
I have also owned a Yamaha FJR. I agree that the FJR handles better and is a little smaller feeling bike (easier to move when not under power). If you can find a new Yamaha for the same ballpark it may be worth taking a good look

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Have also started looking at the FJR. It’s does seem they might have a better following. Prices new for the FJR is about 3k more. I’m starting to look at used values. The Concours used values so far are to high in my opinion, each one I have called on are flatly just to high, and those guys have been sitting on them for over a year. Probably those aren’t serious sellers in reality. I have seen with both bikes if they are priced right they sell, but the FJR is a more desirable bike from what I’m seeing.
Appreciate all the input from everyone, I read them all and do consider the input.

Thanks

·
Registered
770 Posts
Not sure the exact itch yer trying to scratch but the Honda Interceptor generation 8 VFR800 (2014+) is a tremendous value in today's market IMO, Honda built way too many for the US market and priced them in the low teens, there are still new leftover's for around the $7k-$8k range, get the deluxe model the added features are worth it, heated grips, traction control, ABS, center stand. For solo trips and commuting I love this bike, and now discontinued in the US since 2015 it makes a great niche bike that is Honda reliable, adjustable seat height & easily 200+ miles between fill-ups. I got mine a couple years ago for less than $7k, added heated seat and cruise control, great bit of a kit, thank you Honda for overpricing them in the US so that us few owners could benefit. :)

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
What are some of your thoughts about the Kawasaki Concours? I’m thinking for a second bike it might be some fun for sporting around single riding. 2019 new can be bought for about $11.5 They don’t have a bunch of bells and whistles, but they do have heated grips, electric windshield, couple of side bags, TPM, pretty large gas tank, 36 moth warranty, the engine and trans are very smooth, I was surprised, and these things will pull with power!! Seat comfort sure isn’t a RDL as my wing, probably would be a little difficult for a few hundred miles. No cruise control, which could be a major setback nowadays, I figure a throttle lock will work in a pinch. Also would need the 2 inch handlebar risers, they are a little low for me. Prices from what I understand are down on the sport cruiser market, the local dealer had none and said when he has had them, they didn’t sell? Seems like a lot of bang for your buck with the Concours. Seems used 9 or 10 years old are about $6k
Curious as to your thoughts on the subject.

Thanks guys

Well guys after test riding both the Concours & FJR yesterday I have made a decision as to a second bike. Drum roll please...... I can’t do either one, both bikes seat to peg height is just to close, I found myself with just to much knee bend, and also hip bend to be very comfortable. Also the pegs are set back further than the wing, which contributes to a tight feel. I rode my wing yesterday to both test rides and I have to say getting back on the wing felt so good after each test ride. The power of both the Concours & FJR is incredible!! I also looked at the Honda Interceptor 800 which does have my interest possibly, I know the knee & hip situation will also be similar to the Concours & FJR, but I may enjoy that for quick little trips, and the pricing on those bikes is also very desirable as suggested by another member on the forum. The last thing is, I have been spoiled by the DTC, using a clutch again actually wasn’t any fun, with both bikes it was firmer than I remember it being than my 2016 Wing, which I think would get old. Speaking of getting old, maybe that’s why I just need to stay with the wing, probably better than a trike. LOL

Thanks guys for all the feedback.

·
Registered
217 Posts
The FJR is much lighter than the Wing for sure. I just sold my FJR a year ago when I bought a used 2001 Wing. I have to admit that the FJR splits lanes much better than the Piggy Wing. I will not sell my 2012 Zx10r. I use that to do canyon runs when I need hyper speed.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts