GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
733 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checking air pressure in the rear tire, and adding air if needed is a real pain in the butt for me. I find I have to lay flat on the ground to do this, and with two prosthetic knees (that don't like me to kneel and put pressure on them) and two torn rotator cuffs in my shoulders, it really is a chore that I hate to do. So I thought about getting a lift so that I could get to the wheels without getting down on the ground. It also would let me clean the wheels once in awhile instead of ignoring that part of cleaning for as long as I own the bike.

My concern is that I have not used a lift, and worry about safely getting the Goldwing up and down on a lift. How hard is it to do safely? Are there lifts that would just be a matter of riding onto the lift, or are hold-down straps always needed. Using the center stand is not an option for me, since I had changed the stock stand to a roll on/roll off stand that keeps the rear tire on the ground. Any help in this area would be really appreciated as well as any recommendations for a specific brand/model of lift that would be good for an older guy like myself who is very nervous about the whole process.

Reactions: cycledude

·
Registered
2,969 Posts
We just had a nice discussion on this here.

https://gl1800riders.com/forums/4-g.../441591-what-brand-lift-table-do-you-use.html

I just got a K&L MC655 (2000lbs) with side extensions for my goldwing and wife’s trike. I have set it up to park my goldwing on it all the time. I like the electric because it’s always plugged in and it has a hand control that out of the way (off the floor). It’s really easy to ride up on at 7-8 inches high. I park with my centerstand on the lift and the side extensions offer plenty of room to get on and off the bike. I have to admit, I would of probably elected a cheaper option if it wasn’t for the trike.

The only thing I don’t like is the ramp hooks on the lift table and has to be removed before and after lifting.

·
Registered
21,025 Posts
I have been using a Pittbull lift for quite a few years and like it a lot, mine is manual so it takes about 80 pumps to get it all the way up so That might be a problem for your artificial knees, Pittbull does sell air lifts.
I really should get a table lift but the fact that they take up so much space has so far kept me from buying one. Many folks with table lifts say they work great for all kinds of stuff besides motorcycles.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have 5 lifts and the one I use the most came from Greg's equipment. It is rated for 1500 lbs and raises 48" It came with side extensions and a reasonable wheel clamp. I did change it out for a Condor Chock. It has a sliding panel for rear tire service and also has to pipes that fit into pockets so you can lift a bike using ratchet straps. Uses an air over hydraulic pump for raising.

I also have two Handy lifts but they are rated at 1000 lbs and raise 30 inches with no drop out panel. They are both about 20 years old and still work well.

The other 2 are Harbor freight units which IMHO opinion are scary with a big bike on them and without some kind of extensions it is dangerous to ride up on them. I use them mostly for long term projects.

Get the biggest and best you have room and budget for because you will find lots of uses for it.

·
Registered
194 Posts
I ordered a Pro1200SEMAX! I ordered on a Monday and it was delivered that Friday!

I’ve been looking on and off for a couple of years! I wanted something sturdier than Harbor Freight! One of my friends has one of these and I really liked it! Sturdy, lots of extras, reasonably (imho) priced!

The Service is Awesome... Clark and staff are amazing!

https://www.nhproequip.com/pro-1200semax-motorcycle-atv-lift-package-free-shipping

·
Vendor
17,815 Posts
I to have a K&L MC655 which is electric over hydraulic. Whatever you get, and to reduce the chance of bounce as the left goes up and down, be sure to get electric over hydraulic.

·
Registered
5,989 Posts
I have the sears motorcycle lift, and use it quite a lot.... This just slides under your bike (beneath the engine area)...... and I can work under the bike Soooooooooooooo much easier.. I also use this lift during winter hibernation period, this keep all three (it's a trike) wheels off the cement floor.....I'm happy!

Ronnie

·
Registered
2,440 Posts
Motorcycle Jack's or Motorcycle lift tables....

I like the lift tables, but they take up a lot of room in my medium size garage. So what I have and use a lot is my motorcycle jack. It's just a Harbor Freight unit. Bought it about 15 years ago and it still works great. I always strap the bike to it when lifted!
With a lift table, I would still have the bike on it's wheels. Most of the work I do is with the wheels off the ground. So the lift table is not a lot of help.

A fiend of mine designed and builds the EZ Car Lift. All American made and great for a portable car lift. It uses an electric drill to raise and lower. So no hydraulic hoses or 220 volt service needed. It can be moved from one location to another in minutes.
He also has a Motorcycle adapter to make the EZ Car Lift a Motorcycle lift. If you go to the EZ CAR Lift website and look at the motorcycle accessory, you will see us raising my 2005 on it.

I have the EZ Car Lift but not the motorcycle accessory. As I stated, I like to work with the wheels off the ground.

But at least this is another versatile option. Car and bike! In fact we lifted my brothers Corvette on a sidewalk at the city park last year! Yes, it got some attention!

Corventure Dave

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts