GL1800Riders Forums banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
I did low beam LEDs from SoCal for brightness and power savings as well. Willing to do the highs too from a $ perspective but not from a take-the-bike-apart perspective.

·
Registered
828 Posts
@Wasabi, you can get to the high beams without taking much apart, even with large hands. It's not fun, but it's easier if you turn the handlebars to full lock away from the side you're working on. I had to remove the pockets and disconnect that large wiring connector on the left side. 90-degree long needle-nose pliers help some.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Electrical Connection (ECs)

You shoud do a search, it's been discussed before.

I didn't have to change anything else except the bulbs. But I don't have a modulator either.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019, 2020 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Dang Greg !
Your bike gets a garage to itself :-0
Mines jealous!

·
Registered
902 Posts
Divorce will do that to you...It's a small garage and it has to share with the pull-behind cargo trailer.

Greg
2004 GL1800
Rider 123, 2019, 2020 Tour of Honor
Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
677 Posts
I tried three different types of "high output" LED's in the low beam position and none of them came close to 55 watt HID's. The HID's have the same beam projection(they don't blind on coming traffic) but about four times brighter than a halogen, and they draw less current after the ten second warm-up.
LED's seem to work better in the high beam position than they do in the low so I run LED's in the high beam position.
I tried LED's in my car also but moved to 55 watt HID's... I like the 5K color also, humans see reflections from 5K better than higher kelvin. (so I have read). Every bulb on the bike except the dash are LED's.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I installed LED headlight bulbs in my two previous bikes (ST1300 and NC700X) but have no interest in doing so in the GL. LEDs produced a very bright white light, noticeably brighter than Osram Phillips Silver Stars or Ultra Stars. In fact the LEDs make even the Ultra Stars look like yellow kerosene lantern light but there is something about the super white that produces less contrast at night compared to stock or upgrade halogens. I simply couldn't see as well with them. Yes, LEDs make reflective signage and roadway striping "pop" out 1000 feet away but for seeing the roadway & shoulder surface, roadside terrain, and vegetation LEDs in the stock headlight reflectors don't seem to work as well as the yellower halogen lights do.

Auxiliary LED lights are important for me in order to increase my visibility to others though and I do install them so other motorists can see me better. ADVMonster lights have done right by me and a set of Model 19 or Model 20 lights are one of the first farkles I add to a bike. They are super bright small lights that I can run at 100% brightness day and night without oncoming drivers flashing their high beams at me and yet they are extremely visible in daylight.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I tried three different types of "high output" LED's in the low beam position and none of them came close to 55 watt HID's. The HID's have the same beam projection(they don't blind on coming traffic) but about four times brighter than a halogen, and they draw less current after the ten second warm-up.
LED's seem to work better in the high beam position than they do in the low so I run LED's in the high beam position.
I tried LED's in my car also but moved to 55 watt HID's... I like the 5K color also, humans see reflections from 5K better than higher kelvin. (so I have read). Every bulb on the bike except the dash are LED's.
Can you find HID’s nowadays??

·
Registered
833 Posts
MountainRider,

When I had my '04 Wing, I had bought a set of the LED bulbs from Wingstuff (they turned out to be EC bulbs) and installed them on my bike. I loved the output even for the price!! When that bike got wrecked and totalled, I pulled the bulbs out, put the original halogens back in and sent it down the road with those. When I picked up my '07 Wing to replace it, I installed the LED bulbs in it to replace the halogens. I love the output on this bike and it was so much easier to install the low beams. After riding for a year with the LED's in the low beam, I bought the bulbs for the Hi beams and when I got them, I was missing one of the spacers for one of the bulbs. I called Wingstuff, they contacted EC and there was a new set of spacers on the way that day (Friday). I received the spacers on Monday and was able to install the bulbs at that time. I have had both sets in the bike for 2 years now with no problems. Every now and then, when I hit the blinker, I get a little noise in my headset (Sena 20S with a Freewire setup) but I have never had any noise with the headlights. The blinkers are the SoCal switchback bulbs and the white matches the headlights pretty darn close. My only comlaint is the price, but they have lasted over 2 years and well over 20,000 miles with no issues. I just recently changed the bulbs in my fog lights to LED bulbs I found on Cyclemax.com and now I have full LED's on the front and the rear.

Hope this helps you decide. Keep in mind, I work 3rd shift and ride to work frequently so the lights work great at night for me. I can see well and can be seen, especially when I hit the hi beams.

Good luck with the choice.

·
Registered
2,693 Posts
I went through this recently, moving from an old bike with SoCal HID lows, stock halogen highs, and a Kisan modulator, to a new bike and not being happy with the halogens. Ended up with EC LEDs high and low, and a new Kisan modulator. I chose the EC LEDs for all the quality & accuracy comments you've heard already, and they have held true. BTW, I loved my HIDs and it has been an upgrade.

@MountainRider, trying to respond to what I think I hear you saying is important to you...

1) How deep are your pockets? If you're not that $$$ committed, then just get the EC LEDs for low beams and try that out for a bit. Not really any more light "down the road" but certainly not less either and they surely do whiten up and fill in the space inside the beam pattern better which is, I think, your core ask. Leave the halogens on your high beams so no impact on the modulator you have.

2) If you have money to burn up front, or you roll along for a while and the LED/halogen mix gets to your OCD and you decide to spend more, then EC highs are good too. Depending on your modulator, you may or may not need to replace it. You'll have to look into that. The newer Kisans are configurable to LED or halogen through a series of pat your head / rub your tummy steps. Worst case, you'll need a new modulator. +1 to @Andy Cote's comment -- buy from Kisan direct, not Amazon. It burned me and I had to jump through hoops because of the old firmware in the NOS at Amazon thing. ~6 months ago.

The Honda high beams are pretty good. Better with the EC bulbs. But they're more of a flood than a down the road spot. If you really mean "down the road" then you need Aux lights with a narrow beam. You said those words but I don't think you're that committed to the long throw and suspect the bulb upgrades will do you fine. Perhaps just lows.

·
Registered
574 Posts
I have the Electrical Connection bulbs and love them, HUGE difference. FYI, I have never been flashed by oncoming drivers either.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I added the Electrical Connections LEDs to both low and High beams -
Love them --

·
Premium Member
1,386 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I've been reading everything you've provided and a bunch of looking on the web. For me Pathfinder and EC are the top contenders, and I think I'll follow your advice and do the lows first. Since they're rather expensive to start with, one set at a time makes sense. Now to save my pennies. ;)

·
Registered
558 Posts
Do the Silver Stars produce a super white light, or is it more blue? My ultimate goal is getting visible light down the road. Right now, my biggest issue is two fold. Wet roads at night and fresh black top just seem to absorb light. I watch cars with LED's or the blue lights, and the road seems very visible. With the OEM bulbs, I see black road. Maybe going with the blue bulbs and a good set of driving lights in the lower cowl would improve things. I want that skunk that tries to sneak across the road to be visible before I've already run over it.
If you're going to run halogens, as a Philips employee, I'll tell you that the Philips bulbs are the best from an output, quality and reliability standpoint.

The X-treme Visions are very bright and light up the road well.

For cars, the X-treme Powers are nice.

I used the Silverstars years ago but they kept burning out every couple of years.

·
Registered
82 Posts
We had Pathfinders high and low beams installed in our 2010 Honda Goldwing CSC Trike this winter and so far we really like them. Nice and bright. They installed them when we had them change our air filter. No static on the radio either.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts