GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've been reading the forum the last couple days. I'm in research mode on my next bike. Currently ride a Kawasaki ZX6r, and will probably keep that. I know, 50 plus yr old men shouldn't ride super sports.... Any way, a friend came down recently with his big Indian, and we got my wife on the back of that. She seemed to really enjoy the ride (she has MS and has very little control of her left leg). Prior to that, I was considering more of a sport touring bike, just for my comfort on long hauls. My bike is comfortable to me for about 2-3 hours, then my legs start to cramp.

So, with all that considered, I've narrowed it down to 3 possibilities for 2nd bike (or just replace mine). Harley Road Glide (at this point, a distant last place), Indian Challenger, and Gold Wing. I've ridden the Harley and Indian, but the last GW I rode was probably an early to mid 80's. I sat on a 2019 at the dealer yesterday, and was amazed at how light and comfortable it felt off the stand. It felt nothing like the lumbering tank I remembered they were. Then I looked at specs, and the GW seems to be the lightest of the 3 now.

I was also thinking that a GW of a few years ago would be a good option. I hate the thought of buying something, that I can't ride, then finding out I don't like them. And couple that with $20k price tag, sitting in my garage. Which is why this time around, I've looked mostly at the American companies (they let me ride and test the bikes as much as I want). The Honda dealer doesn't let me ride before buying. But the GW seem to hold their value well, so if I got a 2005-2015, I should be able to resell quick....right? I'm just trying to avoid the couple of cases in years past where I buy a bike, then don't like it, and it becomes a dust collector.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
I wouldn’t say a GW holds it value well when you have dealers offering a $5,800 discount on new 2019 DCT Tour Airbag models that are still sitting on the sales floor.

·
Registered
942 Posts
If you can Go find a used 2018+. Save thousands and a test ride shouldn't be an issue.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
442 Posts
I rode the Harley Road Glides for the past 14 years and other models prior to that. Yeah, the RG is a great bike, but the real down side is the service support. It really stinks. They will make every excuse in the book including outright lies to try to get out of the warranty coverage. I finally said screw it, put the RGU on the market and bought a 2020 GW.
As with any bike, ya have to set them up to fit you. Forward pegs, maybe an aftermarket seat, handle bar risers, maybe a recurve type windshield, etc. I'm not expecting to be able to do much maintenance on this bike other than oil, filters, tires and maybe valve lash work so I'm buying the extended warranty when the factory coverage expires.
I'm 71 now and expect maybe another 6 years or so of riding ability for the long haul, so the extended warranty will work out just fine. Beyond that, just trips to Michigan and back will be enough for a day.

·
Banned
435 Posts
The Honda dealer doesn't let me ride before buying.
Find another dealer.
I spoke with four Honda dealers before I bought my GoldWing. I asked three of those dealers for test rides; one outright declined, one was eager to let me test ride, and the third said they normally don't like to but they allowed it after I said I wouldn't purchase without a test ride. (I did end up buying from that dealer).

I strongly believe people should test-ride before they buy! If your dealer isn't letting you do that, then find another dealer. You don't have to buy from the dealer you ride from, although I do prefer to give my money to dealers who treat me right -- and letting me test ride is a big part of being treated "right", imo.

But the GW seem to hold their value well, so if I got a 2005-2015, I should be able to resell quick....right? I'm just trying to avoid the couple of cases in years past where I buy a bike, then don't like it, and it becomes a dust collector.
Keep in mind that the 2017 and earlier bikes are COMPLETELY different than the 2018+ bikes. You could basically draw a Venn diagram of Goldwing years and you'd see a large camp of people who loved the <=2017 models and won't buy the 2018+ and likewise a LOT of people who love the 2018+ and would never have considered the <=2017 (like me). There is overlap where people have bought both... But they'll also admit they're quite different motorcycles.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The dealer I was at, had 3 2019 dct tour GW's marked at 21,800. I would have to go to Fredricksburg, VA to find a dealer that allows test rides. Haven't called that dealer yet, but may head up there today and see what they've got.

·
Love The DCT
11,795 Posts
The dealer I was at, had 3 2019 dct tour GW's marked at 21,800. I would have to go to Fredricksburg, VA to find a dealer that allows test rides. Haven't called that dealer yet, but may head up there today and see what they've got.
Base MSRP for a 2019 DCT Tour is $28,000. The dealer you were at has them offered at a $6,200 discount which is a very nice discount.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I was an HD Street Glide rider and will tell you, the 2020 GW DCT I bought is no comparison. I decided not to go with Tour since my wife will only ride with me a dozen times a year. However, I chose DCT and i'm glad I did. It's smooth (no crazy vibrations at idle), quick acceleration, technology heavy and I can just ride it instead of spending Hundred Dollars all the time if you know what I mean :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Just drove up to Fredricksburg to the dealer that advertised test rides on them...they don't. They said they only have test rides during a demo day event, and none are scheduled till next year. I am really interested, but there is absolutely zero chance that I'll spend over $20k without being able to ride one. I've been that route before, but on a couple grand, not doing it at this price point. Looks like I'll have 2 options, buy, and cancel the contract within the day or two the law allows, or go with Indian.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Buy a 2006 - 2020 that you can get your money back on if you don't like it but I'm quite sure you'll be happy with the purchase. Personalize it and you will be all smiles.

·
Registered
5,073 Posts
Hello, I've been reading the forum the last couple days. I'm in research mode on my next bike. Currently ride a Kawasaki ZX6r, and will probably keep that. I know, 50 plus yr old men shouldn't ride super sports.... Any way, a friend came down recently with his big Indian, and we got my wife on the back of that. She seemed to really enjoy the ride (she has MS and has very little control of her left leg). Prior to that, I was considering more of a sport touring bike, just for my comfort on long hauls. My bike is comfortable to me for about 2-3 hours, then my legs start to cramp.

So, with all that considered, I've narrowed it down to 3 possibilities for 2nd bike (or just replace mine). Harley Road Glide (at this point, a distant last place), Indian Challenger, and Gold Wing. I've ridden the Harley and Indian, but the last GW I rode was probably an early to mid 80's. I sat on a 2019 at the dealer yesterday, and was amazed at how light and comfortable it felt off the stand. It felt nothing like the lumbering tank I remembered they were. Then I looked at specs, and the GW seems to be the lightest of the 3 now.

I was also thinking that a GW of a few years ago would be a good option. I hate the thought of buying something, that I can't ride, then finding out I don't like them. And couple that with $20k price tag, sitting in my garage. Which is why this time around, I've looked mostly at the American companies (they let me ride and test the bikes as much as I want). The Honda dealer doesn't let me ride before buying. But the GW seem to hold their value well, so if I got a 2005-2015, I should be able to resell quick....right? I'm just trying to avoid the couple of cases in years past where I buy a bike, then don't like it, and it becomes a dust collector.
I would look at a 2017 model before all the changes were made. If your old school like me. If you have a passenger they will enjoy the 2017 or lower model. Yes the new one has all the new options but i don't know if i would ever use them all. Good luck, you should be able to pick up a 2017 for about 16,000 with low mileage.

·
Banned
435 Posts
Just drove up to Fredricksburg to the dealer that advertised test rides on them...they don't.
You say you drive UP to Fredricksburg? Where are you located? If you're willing to drive down to the Raleigh-Durham area, there are at least two dealers I know allow test rides -- Capital Powersports in Wake Forest, and Team Powersports in Garner.

·
Registered
13 Posts
2018+ is a gamechanger. I rode the earlier generation, and thought it would be great for a "freeway mile eater." Not much fun in the turns. The new machine is a smile creator. So much fun to drive. Got my new out of the crate 2018 for $7200 off the MSRP and .99% for 60 from Honda. Go for it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You say you drive UP to Fredricksburg? Where are you located? If you're willing to drive down to the Raleigh-Durham area, there are at least two dealers I know allow test rides -- Capital Powersports in Wake Forest, and Team Powersports in Garner.
I live just south west of Richmond VA. I might call, and make a trip down there next weekend (I work a screwy schedule, my weekend is in the middle of the week).

·
Banned
435 Posts
I live just south west of Richmond VA. I might call, and make a trip down there next weekend (I work a screwy schedule, my weekend is in the middle of the week).
Definitely give them a call. FWIW, I've personally test-ridden at both dealerships, and I purchased my Wing from Capital. They were nice to work with.

·
Premium Member
1,801 Posts
Welcome from SE Idaho!!! God luck with your search, ride safe and keep the shiny side up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts