GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife wants to ride from Central PA to Nova Scotia. Does anyone have any suggestions/advice?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Take GOOD Rain gear!:thumbup: Get to the top and do the Cabot Trail, prettiest part of the island.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Do It!

We did the ride in 2006 from Binghamton , NY. We took 10 days and took the high speed ferry from Barr Harbor to Nova Scotia ( Not sure but I believe the Ferry is not an option anymore). We did the Cabot trail and ended up in Prince Edward Island returning to the states thru New Brunswick.

Its a great ride and there was little or no traffic even the last week of July! We like the B&B's as you can always find little obscure points of interest through the locals. We covered around 3000 miles and in hind sight could have add a couple days more to the trip.

Send a PM if you'd like and we'd behappy to share additional details.

·
IronMan
17,451 Posts
I went there last year beg. Sept. Went from ohio thru pa up thru ny made a rite turn at canadian border took country roads across then down to platzburg n got the ferry got off n went to mt pellier then took rt 2 all the way to bangor maine took rt 9 to canada from mt pellier to bangor is beautiful went thru new foundland n went to fundy bay ( if going plan time for low tide so you can walk on beach ) then went up to cabbots trail ( called the rock ) theres a reason lol canada gets expenscive cell didnt work on vacation ya hooo lol had great time enjoy

·
Registered
92 Posts
Do the Cabot Trail counter clockwise. Take the ride out to Meat Cove. Eat Lobster! Meet the people!

·
Registered
360 Posts
Do the Cabot Trail CLOCKWISE. The tour buses go counterclockwise so they are on the coast side. There are very few places you can pass them. If you go the other way you still get fabulous views, you go faster and you can pull off at a million lookouts.

Most importantly! If the weather is good, high ball to the Cabot Trail and do it. If bad weather sets in, and it will, it can be crappy. Also go see Fortress Louisbourg, it's very interesting. Then see the Citadel at Halifax on the way back.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
Take the time to do the Cabot Trail BOTH ways....
Take the PEI bridge one way and the ferry the other.

Gaspe peninsula is also nice if you have time.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Been awhile since I've been there but I would agree with riding the Cabot trail both ways if time permits. I would hit Peggy's cove (Halifax area) and the Alexander Bell museam in Baddeck. I would also recommend Google Nova Scotia. I hooked onto the chamber of commerce site (I think) and was sent a 200 page booklet from them. Nova Scotia has laid out 10 different rides (Cabot Trail is one of them) Pick out what interests you and ride. (Lighthouse trail, Evangeline trail etc.) I ate some great seafood chowder in Inverness (on the way to Cabot Trail) I also enjoyed some smoked Salmon prepared by locals and sold out of their basements. You'll see the signs hanging on their homes. (Peggy cove area) Great eating and the price was right. Lastly, on the way up and back, we stopped in Sullivan, Maine at Ruth and Wimpy's Resturant. (Just north of Bar Harber) Has a giant lobster (tacky) in the parking lot but if you like Lobster, it can't be beat. Have fun.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Did Nova Scotia some years ago, Bay of Fundy is a must!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Do It...!

I Leave on July 21 (22 days to go) for Nova Scotia and New Foundland...hotels already booked, ferry passes purchased...just need good weather...

I will begin my trip postings in about a week leading up to the trip...in the postings I will include trip routes that might interest you....if you want send me a PM with your email address and I can send you a GPS routing or at least a map of my route...

FYI...if you are going between July 20 and August 15...becareful...Canada has a lot of events going on during that time...I found it dificult in some of the smaller towns to find hotel accomodations...in fact several of North Sydney's hotels around July 24 were completely booked...now granted I try to stay in B&B's to capture the culture and get a free breakfast.

Rider magazine in the july issue has a small article on routes in Nova Scotia and New Brunswich....

And Yes do the Cabot Trail...I am doing them all...leave Wisconsin and hope to return with about 8600 miles on the bike....

Safe Rides

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, everyone! Always good advice to be had on this forum.

I'll let you know if we go forward with the plans, and PM those of you who offered more info.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts