GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to relocate to a state that doesn't have state income tax and since I live near NV at the moment I thought I'd start my search there. My next choice is Weatherford, Texas but now Pahrump is where I'm looking. So would the Nevada folks and especially Pahrumpites tell me about your state and city?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Up the road an hour or so is Beatty, Nevada you might look there, nice little town....

·
Registered
4,839 Posts
My best riding buddy retired and moved to Pahrump. He and his wife like it. They live on the edge of their tract and have side-by-sides so they can ride them into the Mt. Charleston wilderness area. Nice house for not too much money. Las Vegas is less than an hour away for stuff you can't get at Wallyworld. Pahrump is growing. Much nicer than Beatty btw. Really hot in the summer, but hey, its in southern nevada.

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
We have ridden through there and found it to be a nice little town. Ate at a nice little restaurant but don't remember the name. It was hot in August. But then I like hot.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
I thought I liked heat until I rode out there in the middle of summer. I then changed my mind about heat. Also, there are other states that do not have a state income tax... But I can guarantee you that they have other ways of getting your money whether it be sales tax, property tax or whatever. If that is yous only reason for moving, it ain't a good one. And did I mention the heat?

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Search internet for best retirement places. As already mentioned, state income tax or lack of, should not be the only consideration.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
We go there in our RV every year in March. We stay at Terribles RV resort. It's a nice little town but really don't know much about it,. we stay for a week and have a good time. But as said before, unless you pay a LOT in state tax I wouldn't let that be the reason to relocate.
http://visitpahrump.com/

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
First let me say, I am a native Texan from a small town north of Ft. Worth. I know Weatherford well - at least the Weatherford from ~35 years ago. It WAS a small town about 20 miles from the western edge of Ft. Worth. Today, they are practically one and the same. Aledo, same way. I think it is just another bedroom community today. But, they have (HAD?) a GREAT Farmer's Market. Best dang Burkett pecans in the world!

The wife and I lived in SoCal for ~25 years. We left there in late 2008. Prior to leaving, we were looking for a second home. I had a friend at Lockheed who lived in Pahrump. We looked hard for a place in Pahrump. We almost bought one.

Compared to SoCal, the prices were reasonable. But, here in the Mid-West (Wichita, KS) you can get a lot more home for the $$ than in Pahrump - at least when we were looking around 2007.

As stated above, it is about an hour from Vegas - but the highway to Vegas is CROWDED. It has a bottleneck as it goes through the mountains.

Take a look at Henderson, NV. You might like it better. More suited for retirement.

Also, back on Weatherford, my family still lives in Texas. What you get from no state income tax, Texas takes away in ever increasing property tax. Be careful. Check out property taxes, how they are calculated, and how much they go up annually no matter where you are looking to retire.

Joe T.

·
Registered
5,633 Posts
Yep, same in FL, no state income tax and that's great, but the sales tax and property taxes are no bargain.

·
Registered
7,797 Posts
[h=3]States With The Lowest Taxes[/h] To rank the state’s tax burdens, the Tax Foundation compared the total taxes that state residents pay as a percentage of per capita income. Included in the total taxes are local taxes such as property taxes and local sales taxes. The states whose residents pay the least in total taxes are:

• Alaska at 6.4% of income
  • Nevada at 6.6% of income
  • Wyoming at 7% of income
  • Florida at 7.4% of income
  • New Hampshire at 7.6% of income
It’s interesting to note that none of these states have an individual income tax.

·
Banned
792 Posts
Up the road an hour or so is Beatty, Nevada you might look there, nice little town....
My wife and I took a small ride through some of the residential area when we were up there for the annual ride. We must have been in the low rent district as we saw nothing appealing unless you like run down mobile homes with shoddy additions attached. Nice place to visit but not to live in my opinion. I have not been to Pahrump but I have heard it is a nice place, and hot.

·
Banned
2,290 Posts
Search internet for best retirement places. As already mentioned, state income tax or lack of, should not be the only consideration.
Money magazine does a 50 state comparison and even breaks it down further into cites for the best places to retire based n TOTAL tax liability and medical access

·
Registered
4,373 Posts
Forum member MATT(BCNV) used to live in the NE and relocated to Nevada a few years ago. He doesn't post as much as he used to but I'm sure that he could provide some guidance. PA doesn't make the least taxed state, but we don't pay income tax on SS or investment income

·
Registered
2,041 Posts
I thought I liked heat until I rode out there in the middle of summer. I then changed my mind about heat. Also, there are other states that do not have a state income tax... But I can guarantee you that they have other ways of getting your money whether it be sales tax, property tax or whatever. If that is yous only reason for moving, it ain't a good one. And did I mention the heat?
Texas--no income tax, but sales tax is over 8% and property tax will kill ya.

·
Registered
5,260 Posts
Texas--no income tax, but sales tax is over 8% and property tax will kill ya.
Yep, ya gotta do your homework or ya can get bit really hard! No free lunch anywhere.

·
Registered
2,731 Posts
What's the difference between the scenery in Nevada and the moon? Nothing. That is one butt-ugly state.
Some can see the beauty in the desert. Others cannot. I am one that definitely sees the beauty of the desert, and enjoy it a lot. The heat and cold can bother some people, while others can adapt to it quite well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
States With The Lowest Taxes

To rank the state’s tax burdens, the Tax Foundation compared the total taxes that state residents pay as a percentage of per capita income. Included in the total taxes are local taxes such as property taxes and local sales taxes. The states whose residents pay the least in total taxes are:

• Alaska at 6.4% of income
  • Nevada at 6.6% of income
  • Wyoming at 7% of income
  • Florida at 7.4% of income
  • New Hampshire at 7.6% of income
It’s interesting to note that none of these states have an individual income tax.
Alaska is too cold.
Wyoming is too cold also.
Florida is too far away from the west.
New Hampshire is too north east and too cold.
I guess that leaves the moonscape of Nevada and northern NV gets too cold, Las Vegas area has far too many people. And I would like a lot with enough room to build another 2400 square foot shop in the back yard.

I am looking at Realtor.com and comparing houses and neighborhoods. I'll take run over there in a few weeks and take a look around.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts