GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I joined this board to do a little "research" on the Gold Wing. I think these boards are THE best way short of a LONG extended test ride to really learn about a bike. Seems like just as on the Harley board there are some really cool people here too with both knowledge and a sense of humor! :lol:

So, here is my dilemma...I have a Road Glide that I really enjoy but it just kills me on long rides. I am reaching for the bars too much and after an hour, my shoulder blades are on fire! There are not a lot of choices for Road Glides. On top of this, the combo of the heat coming up beneath me and the shaking really take a toll on my 44 year old body after a while. I can't even imagine doing a multi-state ride, which I would love to try.

So, have any of you made the "switch"? I started out my riding adventure 5 years ago on a Valkyrie and I ended up selling it and going "Harley" because I could not even find a local dealership that could add pipes and "tune" them with the carbs. In addition, that bike never felt really stable at speed for some reason. Would I like a Wing? I took a brief test ride of one before I bought the Road Glide and while I liked it, it seemed too much like a car for me at that time. Now, I am thinking that maybe I might be able to do a long ride if it was MORE like a car. I'd love your thoughts, as this will be a REALLY big decission for me in the coming months.

Thanks much! :D

·
Registered
69 Posts
if you didn't like your valk you won't like the wing. i had 98 standard and 2000 valk interstate loved them both would still have one if they made them but they don't and i've owned a 01, 02, 04, 06 and 07 1800 (will be in at dec. for me). goods and bad valk was more stable at interstate speeds. goldwing will smoke a valk in the curves. the thing i hate is a goldwing in a hard side wind the valk was more stable i think. everyone has there own likes and dislikes. only thing is take one for a demo and see what YOU like or dislike.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I don't think you'll find anybody here telling you not to switch rides or at least keep your HD and get a wing as some lucky people that have both. I've been riding wings for 18 years so I have nothing but praise.

Cycleworld has a shootout between Honda, HD, and BMW every year. Some years they like the BMW better and some years they like the Goldwing better....this year it was the Goldwing. Of course some of the things that sway the judge/riders to the winner are such important things like who's got the better heated grip control...LoL. All important things to us semi-old guys...LoL

I had the back burning going on with my 2005 ABS until I put on the RegRisers to relocate the handlebars and the Utopia Backrest to lean on... Added the forward footrests and some windwings and I've been cruzin comfortable ever since.

I think you'd have to look for a long time in this forum to find anybody that's had a motor problem, or even has worked on one other than maintenance items.

The people on this board have a wealth of knowledge and are happy to share it with you. Hal (board sponcer) is a great guy as are the other vendors that frequent the board.

Hope to see ya on the road...wingin it.

·
Registered
2,375 Posts
I tell everyone that is considering the purchase of the GW or the HD of their choice to try them. You know how the HD is, now go rent a GW.

You need to spend some time on one and see how many miles you get on it. You will then make the decision with confidence.

The GW doesn't fit everyone. You might need to make a few accessory purchases. Utopia back rest and freeway boards are what I need. Those trips over 300 miles in one position can get to you.

Keep watching this board. I am sure you will find it entertaining if not informative. :lol:

·
Registered
4,613 Posts
Re: Thinking about the "Big Switch"! Harley for a

WitchDoctor said:
Now, I am thinking that maybe I might be able to do a long ride if it was MORE like a car.
You have answered your own question. The wing is made for the long haul so get one if that's the kind of riding you want to do. Plus you will find that it's a whole lot more fun in the twisties and handles more like a sports bike.

There is always a trade off depending on how you want to ride.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
Man, are you gonna open a can of worms :lol:

If you want a vehicle that you can insert the key, hit the starter and ride it forever, the wing is great, very powerful, smooth, corners like a bike on rails, great comfort for the passenger, will last 200,000 miles and a lot of "goodies" much like the HD...BUT, you have to make that decision, no one can make it for you, and I'm on my 20th HD now and have owned three 1800s. Umm, maybe I need another one :wink:

As others have said, rent one for a couple of days and evaluate it for yourself, they are a FUN bike.....

·
Registered
380 Posts
I have a 02 Wing And a H D Standard. For me I really would rather ride the HD for all my local running, but without a doubt, The Wing for the long rides. There is no comparisson. With having the two bikes, I know why the people trailer there HD. I have been all accross the country on my Wing, and wouldn't even consider that much seat time or distance on the HD. But for the local running, I will take the HD every time, alot easier to handle around town. :biker:

·
Registered
179 Posts
A lot of the group i ride with have HD s and one of the road kings sitting position is fantastic , better than the wing for my 6 ft 250 lb size. Being able to buy diffrent handel bars is a plus . I just cant see cleaning all that chrome is why i dont have one .Im a year round rider. The ultras are just to cramped for me even more than the wing . So your size will play a big part . After riding the wing and then getting on a HD it fills like half the motors gone . I think the new HD s are very smoothe and would not play a part . I think the road glide is smoothe as it gets . But i love my power on the wing . GOOD LUCK !

·
Registered
634 Posts
Mr. Witch Doctor,

I hope that you are not putting a little voodoo on us, . . .

just to enjoy the show!! :lol:

You wrote:

. . . just kills me. . . my shoulder blades are on fire!. . . take a toll on my 44 year old body

It reads as though you are ready for the Wing.

Good luck with your decision, Mr. Witchdoctor!!

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
drvr02silver said:
I have a 02 Wing And a H D Standard. For me I really would rather ride the HD for all my local running, but without a doubt, The Wing for the long rides. There is no comparisson. With having the two bikes, I know why the people trailer there HD. I have been all accross the country on my Wing, and wouldn't even consider that much seat time or distance on the HD. But for the local running, I will take the HD every time, alot easier to handle around town. :biker:
I do the exact same thing with my VTX1800 Retro. I use it for local trips, riding from one watering hole to the next and even shorter charity rides and poker runs. Anything of any distance, anything with fun twisties and, of course, anything that requires some storage/hauling brings out the Wing. The Wing also gets the knod if the weather is questionable because I can haul rain gear and cold weather gear and because of the protection the fairing and windshield provide. Needless to say, if I had to eliminate all but one of my bikes, I'd keep my Goldwing. :)

I actually looked at a used Wide Glide for a "city bike" but opted for the bigger, faster, more reliable, more comfortable VTX for about half the money used.

·
Registered
7,425 Posts
You don't jack up the rear end of a Porsche, put side-pipes & Craigers on it. If you can accept that analogy to the Goldwing, then go for it.
It is what it is. A Disney bike.
If you want to grunt, thump your chest, and look cool in the parking lot of your local Hooters, keep the HD.

My wife's company asked us to arrange "motorcycle day" for the employees since so many of them have bikes. They wanted an "all day ride" so I mapped out an interesting route through the mountains to Cashiers, NC (Carolina Smokehouse). It's 150 miles each way with a planned rest stop at the 100 mile mark and one on the way back again. So two 100-mile legs and two 50-mile legs.
Piece of freakin' cake ride, right?

Here's an email from one of her co-workers:

Wendie said:
Hi Mirtes,

It sounds like great fun however I have never rode 100 miles without stopping so this will be a real challenge as our bike is a cruiser. We have never gone that far without getting gas we make a stop every 65 to 75 miles, but he seems to think we can. By the way my husbands name is David but everyone calls him Brew.

Looking Forward to the trip.

Wendie
Lord help me; what have I gotten myself into.

G

·
0 Posts
They have never ridden 100 miles without stopping? :lol: :lol:
It will be a real challenge? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
If you want a bike to ride all day in more comfort than any other bike, carry lots of stuff, the best wind protection, cruise control, music, smoooooth powerful engine, torque/pull everywhere and handles like a large sportbike the wing is for you. I've mostly been a sport/sport touring rider, this is my 2nd GL1800 and its the best bike/ride out there. Its not as fun as the sport/sportouring bikes in the twisties but its sooooo much more comfortable and sooooo much more fun on all the other roads. I also got a VTX in the spring for 2nd bike, I never had a cruiser. I ride the X during the week 130 miles/day backroad commute then ride the wing on weekends. When I get on the wing Sat. after riding the X all week it really does feel like a big, comfortable, smooooth sportbike. The more you ride it the more you like it. I find that I'm growing more into what the wing does sooo well and getting further away from just the flat out sportbike handling/performace. To ride all day and log lots of (S)miles, there is no better way in my book. First valve check at 32k is nice too!

Steve

·
Registered
232 Posts
WitchDoctor ..

One thing you want to keep in mind, one of the problems you had on the
HD , was the reach for the handle bars. For some shorter armed people ,like me , this is also a problem on the wing . HOWEVER . it is easily solved on the wing with a set of Reg-Risers . These allow the bars to be adjusted back , foward , in , out , etc. Cost is about $100.
There are also other brands out there for $50 or less.
I don't know how the reach on the Wing compares to the Glide , it may be shorter to begin with , so it might not be a problem at all.
Just wanted to let you know that it is a very easy fix .
Also check out DDKings link , on getting comfortable on the wing.
Joe.

·
Squating Member
7,056 Posts
I've seen this " haven't ridden over 100 miles" much too often, one of the reasons I don't attend too many poker runs :shock: , and while it is mostly HD and cruiser riders, I also have noticed a lot of two year old wings with under 10,000 miles. Are we getting older??? :lol:

I've also ridden cross country on my HD, 4700 miles in 8 days without some much as a hick-up, so the brand of motorcycle is not the problem, it's a mind set. " Gee, I can't do that"....some people own a bike for "eye candy" and I have to say they're mostly HD/cruiser riders.....

As for the reach of the bars, HD makes a set of handle bars for the Ultra/classic glide that are two inches longer and put the bars right where you won't get that "burning" feeling, great set-up...and reg risers will do the same for the wing...

Making a bike fit you, any brand, is just a matter of a little research and asking around.....then again, some can't get comfortable and a certain brand no matter what they do ( this was my problem with the wing).

You need to ask yourself, what style of riding am I going to do, where am I going to ride, who am I going to be with most of the time, (not being nasty) but will my ego allow me to give up the "cool guy, tuff guy" image of the Harley ( no insult intended to the wing riders) can I handle the other HD riders I know poking fun at me for going to the wing. Now this may seem childish to some, but it's a fact of life, no one likes to be made fun of too much, even in sport.....

Either bike is a fine motorcycle, different, but sweet...ultimately, your decision...good luck 8)

·
Registered
634 Posts
Now this may seem childish to some, but it's a fact of life, no one likes to be made fun of too much, even in sport.....

It ain't childish at all!!

We are herd animals. Need to belong to the herd to survive.

To need respect is human . . . if we are normal.

Course, we all are human enough to pretend not to care what others think about us. :lol:

The Winger image is a big "hex" to tote about Mr. Witch Doctor!!

·
Registered
164 Posts
I just traded my BMW R1150GS and Harley FLHTCI Classic on a new Wing so I may be able to give some insight. I am 5'10" and as far as the reach goes I find that the wing bothers my shoulders much more than the Harley did. I will need to build up a new set of muscles. My Butt however really appreciates the ride of the Wing. I love them both so you would just have to ride them and make up your own mind. I just did not need two bikes. :D

Cheers.
Marc

·
Dangerous Old Lady Biker
5,677 Posts
Arn Butt Bill said:
You don't jack up the rear end of a Porsche, put side-pipes & Craigers on it. If you can accept that analogy to the Goldwing, then go for it.
It is what it is. A Disney bike.
If you want to grunt, thump your chest, and look cool in the parking lot of your local Hooters, keep the HD.

My wife's company asked us to arrange "motorcycle day" for the employees since so many of them have bikes. They wanted an "all day ride" so I mapped out an interesting route through the mountains to Cashiers, NC (Carolina Smokehouse). It's 150 miles each way with a planned rest stop at the 100 mile mark and one on the way back again. So two 100-mile legs and two 50-mile legs.
Piece of freakin' cake ride, right?

Here's an email from one of her co-workers:

Wendie said:
Hi Mirtes,

It sounds like great fun however I have never rode 100 miles without stopping so this will be a real challenge as our bike is a cruiser. We have never gone that far without getting gas we make a stop every 65 to 75 miles, but he seems to think we can. By the way my husbands name is David but everyone calls him Brew.

Looking Forward to the trip.

Wendie
Lord help me; what have I gotten myself into.
LOL, Bill...I put over 100 miles on my little Kawa on the first day without stopping!!! where do they get these people???
what was the question here? oh, just get the Wing and be done with it!
who cares what anyone else says, just get the best bike! LOL...I don't care what people think...I ride a triked GoldWing and a little Kawasaki 500...maybe I should be on an HD??? am I missing something?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts