GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Really?

I'm pretty most people would like to know more information about how much and what type of riding you do.

I'm pretty sure if you do a lot of two up, heavy packing, you would be steered away from making the trade. Single rider, hitting the twisties a lot...why not make the trade?

·
Registered
173 Posts
I went the opposite. Traded my ST for a wing. There a high, top heavy beast, until you get them moving. Front end wobble scared me. Had all kinds of extras from overseas. Would love to have one in the garage with the wing. I would have to have it lowered, dropped that thing every other week.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
85% of my riding is solo, commuting to work 65 miles/day RT.
The wife and I go once or twice a year on our week long trips, and fully enjoy the wing.
My thinking: better commuting on the ST, better gas milage, higher milage tires and less farkles to go wrong.
Thoughts!

·
Registered
109 Posts
I swiched 1800 to 1300,then went back to 1800.St 1300(and ST1100)are super bikes and in some ways superior to Wing(range,speed,electric windshield,etc)but I could not stand the ride after 120-150 miles maybe just me but I have been told same by others,if you ride two up ...forget it the other guys are right,also rent one and take a long test ride just to be sure it is what you expect.

·
Registered
279 Posts
I traded my St1300 for a Wing.Although I enjoyed the ST its the best trade I ever made.I personally would not go back to the ST.Much to top heavy.If I were ever to go back to a Sports touring bike it would be the Kawasaki.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you are trading the wing for a ST1300 take a long look at the BMW R1200Rt. Owned a ST1300 and traded it for a R1200RT. Liked the BMW better. I still have a 2004 Wing and love it but the BMW is also right on par with it. Touring you can't beat the Wing, Sport Touring you can't beat the BMW.

·
Banned
1,766 Posts
If you are trading the wing for a ST1300 take a long look at the BMW R1200Rt. Owned a ST1300 and traded it for a R1200RT. Liked the BMW better. I still have a 2004 Wing and love it but the BMW is also right on par with it. Touring you can't beat the Wing, Sport Touring you can't beat the BMW.
Yeah, a big +1 here. My R1100RT was great. A superb sport trourer. But as I grew older I found myself leaning more to the touring than to the sport. I still like to touch my pegs to the tarmac every now and then (OK-every ride) but the comfort the Wing gives me is more important than the sport the RT gave me. Be good to still have both, but the Wing would get ridden more and more and the RT less and less. Such is life. :shrug:

·
Banned
3,074 Posts
I too traded a very nice clean and low mileage ST-1300 for a Wing in January of this year. I have not had a moment of regret.

The ST is blazing fast with awesome brakes, gets maybe two to four mpg better fuel mileage than the wing, has a fuel mileage guesser digital readout in the dash, and an electric windshield. I think it did handle more sure footed on dirt or gravel.

The ST is nearly as heavy as the wing, is top heavy, has no electric reverse, and is extremely hot and uncomfortable in hot weather and almost unbearable when stopped for a traffic light or train on a hot summer day.

The ST does not have any radio or sound system capability and glare from the sun made it too hard to read a hang on GPS.

It has less luggage capacity, less wind protection, a less comfortable riding position and seat, and less passenger capability.

The ST and GL each have their special niche in motorcycle riding. IMO the ST does not compare well to the GL for long rides or long trips.

I prefer comfort over acceleration and speed. The ST is a top notch motorcycle but I would not go back to one. I am extremely satisfied with my wing.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
If you're still gonna tour, you may not like it. Limited seat/butt positions. Reports of owners say their butt hurt after several hundred miles.

I wouln't mind it for shorter rides. I'd be leaning toward a Concours14.

·
Registered
5,259 Posts

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Have both. GL for 2 up, ST (with risers) for solo. Most my long trips on the GL. ST also for qualified European visitors who have bike for me to ride. ST in town stop and go in the summer will fry your gonads (even though I wrapped the exhaust with asbestos bandages).

·
Banned
1,855 Posts
I've just returned from a 6500 mile trp to Northern British Columbia on my ST1300A. At age 69, I can still ride 500 miles a day. I have the Russell Seat. I always ride solo, that is, if you don't count my 27# Pug dog, who rides in a pet carrier attached to the luggage rack. Best bike I've ever owned, without a doubt.

However, as some have stated, it is a little top heavy at low speeds. I've tipped mine over twice, while loaded with camping gear, taking it off the centerstand. I've learned to only use the sidestand when the bike is loaded.

The top heavy issue is getting to be more of a problem as I age, so am seriously thinking of switching to a Gold Wing. The last new Gold Wing for me was a 1996SE.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Without getting into the pros and cons of the ST1300 (I've owned one, as well as a FJR and Concours), let me just say that the Goldwing and ST are very different motorcycles. If you just feel like the Goldwing is not sporty enough, then the ST or one of the others might be for you. But if you want something that is like the Goldwing but not so big, then you will not like the ST. The ST is NOT just a scaled down GW. It's a different bike altogether.

·
Registered
275 Posts
85% of my riding is solo, commuting to work 65 miles/day RT.
The wife and I go once or twice a year on our week long trips, and fully enjoy the wing.
My thinking: better commuting on the ST, better gas milage, higher milage tires and less farkles to go wrong.
Thoughts!
You wont be happy! Only thing I miss about the ST is the power windshield. Wing may be a big girl but she hides it well. Much more comfortanble than I could ever get on my ST, now matter how much I spent on sets risers pegs etc.
And your wife will hate you after a week on a ST, mine wouldn't ride the ST.

Tim

S

·
0 Posts
I traded my St1300 for a Wing.Although I enjoyed the ST its the best trade I ever made.I personally would not go back to the ST.Much to top heavy.If I were ever to go back to a Sports touring bike it would be the Kawasaki.
I would agree I have an ST11 which is now an RT and had a stock ST. I tried out a couple ST13's and while they are great bikes the Concurs is lower and more comfortable. If I lived in one of the mountain states I would defiantly drop the wing and go with a bike more suited for day packing and mountain riding.

·
Registered
19,161 Posts
I would love to have something along that line, but my better half is the voice of reason when it comes to things like that!:thumbup:

1 - 20 of 32 Posts