GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I may leave Port Richey, Florida for a trip to Alaska in mid or late May of next year. I'm wonder about the availability of appropriate CT's along the route. Seems like there would be a better chance for them than for MT's. I may take a spare front and depend on local sources for the rear. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
My wife and I may leave Port Richey, Florida for a trip to Alaska in mid or late May of next year. I'm wonder about the availability of appropriate CT's along the route. Seems like there would be a better chance for them than for MT's. I may take a spare front and depend on local sources for the rear. Any ideas?
205 series tires are readily available anywhere :thumbup:195/55 are a bit more limited in my area for sure

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
The reason for the CT is its reliability and wear. And safety.

The round trip from your home to Fairbanks is less than 10K. A few side trips, maybe the Artic Circle, and so on. A few more miles.

You will definitely be back in the USA before you hit 10K. Then you can get a tire anywhere just about, maybe call two days ahead to some tire store and have one waiting on you.

But honestly do not think you will need it. Start with a new one, it will take you there and back.

Road damage, hey, no need to worry till you have to. Look out for Moose and Bears :roll: And big trucks.

A front 709 will go the distance too. Touring to see the sights, start with new, they will do the trip .

I want to go up there again too, gotta wait awhile ......that dirty word, Work. And more work.

Canada is a great ride too.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I would think if you start with new tires you could easily do the trip on one set.

·
Registered
19,164 Posts
Never having made the trip, I would have to say Kit, might just have this thing down to a fine science!:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
393 Posts
In a real emergency you could look for a mini cooper dealer. They would have a tire but they would want top dollar i'm sure.

·
Registered
353 Posts
In a real emergency you could look for a mini cooper dealer. They would have a tire but they would want top dollar i'm sure.
I have a Mini Cooper Tire on Mine and it was $233 at Discount tire...did not pay that though.. I would say like the rest, a new set should get you there and back. Map out where all the Discount tires are on your route if you really need one.

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Any RF CT for the rear and one of several fronts (double dark) will get you there and back easily.

The bias-ply Bridgestone for the 1500 also works well on the front, it's the 701.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info!

Of course, I know the tires have sufficient tread but what if I run into a frog with a switchblade! Could slash my tires and then where would I be? Guess I would have to be toad! Again, thanks..

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
Toad again . :thumbup: That is quick wit. Lol

·
Registered
4,115 Posts
:lol:
So you're worried about your tire "croaking". :joke:

Of course, I know the tires have sufficient tread but what if I run into a frog with a switchblade! Could slash my tires and then where would I be? Guess I would have to be toad! Again, thanks..

·
Registered
1,027 Posts
Of course, I know the tires have sufficient tread but what if I run into a frog with a switchblade! Could slash my tires and then where would I be? Guess I would have to be toad! Again, thanks

You all should know that our amphibious freinds have sensitive feelings and this comment is a tad politically incorrect.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
I hate them ninja frogs

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Hope you don't have to have your bike "toad". Whoa.

·
Banned
558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
frog with blade..

can you fix a tire with a ribbit?

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
IMO, I'd prearrange to have the car tire mounted (and front) at about the half way point. Anchorage? I think you'll have trouble finding someone to mount the CT, maybe even the MT if it's a typical Honda dealer. (get in line). Or start out new and go for it, which is what I'd probably do. But you have to make that decision and I can appreciate the fact that you are looking at alternatives.

Install a belly pan if you haven't yet.

I only wish I was the one making that trip. Good luck.

·
Premium Member
31,981 Posts
IMO, I'd prearrange to have the car tire mounted (and front) at about the half way point. Anchorage? I think you'll have trouble finding someone to mount the CT, maybe even the MT if it's a typical Honda dealer. (get in line). Or start out new and go for it, which is what I'd probably do. But you have to make that decision and I can appreciate the fact that you are looking at alternatives.

Install a belly pan if you haven't yet.

I only wish I was the one making that trip. Good luck.
Or learn how to spoon one on by yourself and carry a large c-clamp,lube, a good set of spoons and a 4 pieces of 3/4 x 3/4 x 1/12 oak to hold bead down once broke. Really it's not that hard . It just requires practice. As TooTall stated I only wish it was me going , I am jealous . But if you pay for trip I will change any of your tires for free:lol:Have a wonderful trip that I do mean !!

·
Registered
824 Posts
Just remember that nothing exists north of the border and you have to bring everything you might need. There are no services or fuel either:tongue: and wollyworld isn't up here either:shrug:

:popcorn::popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

·
Registered
826 Posts
tires to Alaska

Start with a new RF CT and it will take you there and back with many more miles to spare. A regular front tire will do the trip, but if you really want to be sure, put on a Bridgestone BT 45 and it will last as long as the CT.

A belly pan is advisable, mine looked like it had been through the mill when I got back. One time on a stretch of road repair I rolled over stones the size of small watermelons and the spring for the centerstand was knocked off.

When your fuel gauge hits the middle, dont pass up a gas station, that was two years ago and the economy hanst gotten any better and I suspect some more have closed their doors.
Have a great ride!
Andy

1 - 20 of 26 Posts