GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Stopped at Reynolds Motorsports in Buxton, Maine the other day and sat on this bike while making varoom, varoom noises. Compared to my old Goldwing this seemed like a toy it was so little and light. I've done my due diligence on the dual clutch transmission and have a line on an aftermarket electronic cruise control. There is a pretty good probability when my cast comes off later this week I'll try to get a test ride. For those not in the know, the VFR1200 offers the world's first dual clutch transmission on a motorcycle. Due to the leading edge technology and somewhat convoluted marketing by Honda, this $17,000 shaft drive, ABS equipped, 145 hp V-4 can be had for about $4,000 under MSRP. Not a bad deal.

·
Registered
318 Posts
It's a great sport touring bike, with the emphasis on sport, it's downfall is its small gas tank, especially if you ride backroads where gas stations are few and far apart, you'd have to start looking for gas after about 100 to 120 miles.. because its range isn't a lot more than that.. this from a friend who owns one.

Honda will use this platform to replace the ST1300, let's hope they put a bigger gas tank in that one.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's a great sport touring bike, with the emphasis on sport, it's downfall is its small gas tank
Agree 100 percent. My solution would be to add an aux tank, which is what I did on my GL. Scuttlebutt on the VFR forum suggests the 2012 version will have some minor upgrades, one of which will be a larger tank than the current 4.9 gallons usable.

As an old fart that enjoys the upright riding position I found the ergos on the VFR not all that bad. Then again, I didn't actually ride it anywhere ;)

I did however notice the missing 300+ lbs immediately, just by sitting on it.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Vfr800

I owned a vfr 800 for 3 years and loved the bike. Rode it to sturgis in 09 and had a blast. Wife wanted to start riding with me so i got a goldwing. The viffer was an awesome bike.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Yup, Great bike! I sat on the VFR and made lots of Vrroomm noises too. BUT, when I was ready to buy a stablemate for my Wing I first called my insurance company, and they were going to charge me double to insure the VFR over the Concours (which I bought), the FJR or the Sprint GT. And waaayy more than I'm paying for the Wing.

I really liked the VFR though. Seemed like it'd be a very exciting bike to ride.

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Agree 100 percent. My solution would be to add an aux tank, which is what I did on my GL. Scuttlebutt on the VFR forum suggests the 2012 version will have some minor upgrades, one of which will be a larger tank than the current 4.9 gallons usable.

As an old fart that enjoys the upright riding position I found the ergos on the VFR not all that bad. Then again, I didn't actually ride it anywhere ;)

I did however notice the missing 300+ lbs immediately, just by sitting on it.
I have ridden one (with the traditional tranny). The ergos are leaned over more than I expected. It's feels along the lines of a Busa or ZX-14. There are risers available for it. I have to take my GW in for service probably this week, and the dealer (owned by an old friend of mine) does have one in demo service and my plan is to try to take it for a longer ride. I'll report back if I do.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
PLEASE explain duel clutch trans.
It is a manual transmission with automatic clutch and shifter. There is no foot shift and no clutch lever on the left handlebar. Technically, it is not an automatic transmission but it will upshift (and down shift) automatically using two different programs (Normal and Sport).

Instead of a foot shifter, you have a thumb operated paddle shifter on the left handlebar. On the right handlebar is an "AT" mode and a "Manual" mode. While in "AT" mode the transmission will shift either "normally" or "sport" both will be automatic (you do nothing but twist and go). In "manual" mode you actually shift using the paddles on the left handlebar.

This technology has been around for several years in European sport and luxury cars.

One clutch engages 1st, 3rd, and 5th, while the second clutch is engaged in 2nd, 4th and 6th. In other words, you always have TWO gears engaged at once. That makes shifting super quick and seamless. Both upshifts and downshifts. That is why it is called a dual clutch transmission. The reviews from owners have been very positive.

·
Registered
3,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
BUT, when I was ready to buy a stablemate for my Wing I first called my insurance company, and they were going to charge me double to insure the VFR over the Concours (which I bought), the FJR or the Sprint GT.
Dayum! I never thought about the insurance. Will have to check that out, thanks.

·
Registered
2,508 Posts
L D Rider,
Well Sir, I for one, kind of like the looks of that bike, based on the picture you're displaying. From the angle of the pic, it doesn't seem the rider's leaning too much forward. I'd have to sit on one to get the actual ergonomics for my structure. I for one would think that trans would be nice on a Wing. In my opinion, the bike (Wing) is so well defined, so well laid out, and is so smooth in operation, I think it would be a great enhancement to the Wings operation. You'd sure as hell would get rid of all the "clunking" associated with the shifting on these darn things.

The VFR in that pic looks almost comfortable to me. And I like being comfortable. That's why you'll never see me some form of any crotch rocket. They're not for me or the DW. Anyway, just for grins, I think I'll check into one of our local dealers and see what those are all about.
Scott

·
Registered
19,062 Posts
For what it is worth I have not ridden one but it sure looks sharp in red

·
Registered
347 Posts
The very minut percentage of People that I have seen thats been able to give up the Goldwing are one of two People, first they Medically cannot ride anymore or two, never really was into Motorcycles in the first place and were new to Riding.
This has to be one of the most IDIODIC post I've ever seen, anywhere.

·
Registered
356 Posts

·
Notorious Rocket Scientist
5,533 Posts
Stopped at Reynolds Motorsports in Buxton, Maine the other day and sat on this bike while making varoom, varoom noises. Compared to my old Goldwing this seemed like a toy it was so little and light. I've done my due diligence on the dual clutch transmission and have a line on an aftermarket electronic cruise control. There is a pretty good probability when my cast comes off later this week I'll try to get a test ride. For those not in the know, the VFR1200 offers the world's first dual clutch transmission on a motorcycle. Due to the leading edge technology and somewhat convoluted marketing by Honda, this $17,000 shaft drive, ABS equipped, 145 hp V-4 can be had for about $4,000 under MSRP. Not a bad deal.
Sounds good to me! That would be my in-town bike at this very minute (keeping the wing for longer rides) if I could bring myself to cough up the money. Go for it!

Glad to hear that the cast is coming off. I spent this first half of this year in chemotherapy so I know how much it sucks to want to ride when you can't. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
5,173 Posts
Not saying you would be happy, you might be. But it is very rare that a person leaves the Goldwings and does not miss the ride and such. The very minut percentage of People that I have seen thats been able to give up the Goldwing are one of two People, first they Medically cannot ride anymore or two, never really was into Motorcycles in the first place and were new to Riding.
I have tried to go to other bikes and have always came back. I have always kept a few different types of Bikes to ride to satisfy the different urges, but again when going any long distances I throw the leg over the Wing. Goodluck on your new bike if you go that route, it does look fun! But you will be back, I have tried leaving the Wing three times! lol
Rick, just because someone owns a Goldwing doesn't mean that is the end all bike. I bought a new 2005 Goldwing nearly 7 years ago, and have now owned two of them continuously since then. But I only own if for two-up riding. To say I prefer to ride my other bikes would be an understatement. In fact, in the past six years I've taken an 8 day, 3500+ mile trip every year. It's always been on my FJR and now my Concours.

I'm actually thinking about a third bike now - something sportier. BTW, I'll be 59 years old pretty soon!

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
19,989 Posts
Not saying you would be happy, you might be. But it is very rare that a person leaves the Goldwings and does not miss the ride and such. The very minut percentage of People that I have seen thats been able to give up the Goldwing are one of two People, first they Medically cannot ride anymore or two, never really was into Motorcycles in the first place and were new to Riding.
I am equally shocked that you would make a statement like that. My Wing has been the pinnacle of my riding years, and I wouldn't trade it for anything else. But at the same time, I am not shortsighted enough to believe that everyone out there will share in what I look for in a motorcycle.

I understand your passion for this bike. But the Goldwing is not for everyone. It does not meet everyone's needs, and there are many things that people don't like about it. To suggest that a person who is physically capable of riding the Wing is just not into motorcycles by switching to something else, you're really not thinking it through.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts