GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing DCT Tour, 2015 Triumph Trophy 1200SE
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have never owned a Goldwing, but have always had WingLust.

I have had the other big tourer… 2019 BMW K1600GTL. Dealing with buggy electronics, transmission recall, sudden brake loss…I dumped it. :mad: In the interim I bought a 2020 Indian Challenger and rode it for 4k. It's a nice bike, but the storage capacity abysmal, and the trunk is nearly $4k! o_O It's not really me either…

Anyways, I started thinking of a Wing again and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on a 2020 vs a 2021. The 2020 Tour can be had at a substantial discount…

Compared to the 2020, I understand the 2021 has an increase in trunk size and better speakers / amp. I could care less about the radio. The trunk size would be nice, but truthfully I am a one-up rider, so if I can fit my single helmet in the trunk I would be OK with the smaller size.

I guess there is additional lighting…which would certainly be nice.

What about mechanical updates / changes?

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
19,632 Posts
If the slightly smaller trunk & slightly more powerful radio is not needed. Save some bucks & go for the 2020. They are both great bikes. I really think the 2021s seat is fugly

No mechanical changes that I know of. The 2021 comes with fog lights

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
I would go for the 2021, chances are you would change the seat out anyway plus the larger trunk is another plus .

Reactions: Art H.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Not a big enough difference to sway me one way or the other. If they are the same color then the 2020 is the way to go but if you like the 2021's color better then grab it . Enjoy what ever you buy !

·
Premium Member
4,333 Posts
I say get the 2021. The bigger trunk is just "bigger" enough to make a small-seeming difference a big difference.

Reactions: Hoopdc and T-88

·
Registered
205 Posts
2021! I'm suspecting the price difference isn't all that and when the bike is over $25k, does it really matter?

Reactions: Hoopdc

·
Registered
2021 Goldwing
86 Posts
Its nice to have the choice!
Looking at what's available around here, I'd be getting whatever they had on the floor!
The storage space on the Wing is the only negative I have about the 2021 I just bought... I swear the panniers are just for show! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
272 Posts
I only got the Wing because of the increased storage. Otherwise I would have kept my HD RGL. I am happier with the Wing, as I knew I would be.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I recently picked a 2021, in significant part due to the larger trunk as the GW already has much smaller saddlebags than my 2015 R1200RT, and having a two-helmet trunk is an absolute necessity. The OP stated that he doesn't need two helmet capacity, which makes the choice harder, but I'd wager that in the future he may come to regret the smaller trunk due to other storage needs that come along. OP, good luck with whichever you choose!

·
Registered
2019 Darkness Black Goldwing DCT (1800BD)
1,581 Posts
Reactions: AussieChris

·
Registered
622 Posts
I have never owned a Goldwing, but have always had WingLust.

I have had the other big tourer… 2019 BMW K1600GTL. Dealing with buggy electronics, transmission recall, sudden brake loss…I dumped it. :mad: In the interim I bought a 2020 Indian Challenger and rode it for 4k. It's a nice bike, but the storage capacity abysmal, and the trunk is nearly $4k! o_O It's not really me either…

Anyways, I started thinking of a Wing again and wondered if anyone had any thoughts on a 2020 vs a 2021. The 2020 Tour can be had at a substantial discount…

Compared to the 2020, I understand the 2021 has an increase in trunk size and better speakers / amp. I could care less about the radio. The trunk size would be nice, but truthfully I am a one-up rider, so if I can fit my single helmet in the trunk I would be OK with the smaller size.

I guess there is additional lighting…which would certainly be nice.

What about mechanical updates / changes?

Any thoughts?
I haven’t had a 20 but did have an 18 6spd and now a 21 DCT. The changes between these 2 bikes is amazing !! The suspension is much improve, and I just knew I wouldn’t care for the DCT but took a chance. After just 2k miles I will never look back. If it was me (and it just was) I would buy the 21 no questions for me after a few miles.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts