GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The warranty is up on my 2012 Gold wing. I have over 36k on the bike and the rear tire is shot (plugged a few thousands miles ago and now to the tread bar). Front tire still has some life on it. I have been considering going to the dark side for a while now. It looks like a Bridgestone run flat is what I'm leaning too. How hard is it to get on versus regular Bridgestone on the rear? I have been changing my own tires with a make shift tire changer with a mojo bar and balance beads. I usually ride 50/50 two versus 1 up. I ride year round weather permitting (cold not an issue, snow covered roads are another story). Also what psi should I use?

·
Registered
2,063 Posts
RunFlats are definitely more difficult to mount but doable. Some RFs are harder than others.

If a local shop is willing to mount it for you, it may be worth it to pay someone.

·
Premium Member
5,626 Posts
Getting a RF on the rim is a chore. After that, everything else is a piece of cake - or rather, a batch of Darkside cookies.

Rumor has it that you can get everything ready, call Rail and set your cell phone next to the tire changer. He can talk a tire onto the rim remotely!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
828 Posts
The run flat has stiff sidewalls and will be more difficult to install. Take your old tire off and try putting the run flat on using some good lube. If not successful take the wheel and new tire to a shop. I replace my front tire but take the rear to my local car tire shop and they put it on for $10. I used 28 to 33 lbs on the bridgestone run flat but prefer the yoko tire and usually run it at about 28 lbs at 70 degrees cold. Tire pressure will vary depending on how accurate your gauge is. I use the tire pressure on my doran tire pressure monitor.
john

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
The warranty is up on my 2012 Gold wing. I have over 36k on the bike and the rear tire is shot (plugged a few thousands miles ago and now to the tread bar). Front tire still has some life on it. I have been considering going to the dark side for a while now. It looks like a Bridgestone run flat is what I'm leaning too. How hard is it to get on versus regular Bridgestone on the rear? I have been changing my own tires with a make shift tire changer with a mojo bar and balance beads. I usually ride 50/50 two versus 1 up. I ride year round weather permitting (cold not an issue, snow covered roads are another story). Also what psi should I use?
I run the Michelin RF. Use lots of good tire lube. The first bead is pretty easy. The second bead.....get it started and then you HAVE to get the bead down in the valley as much as possible and keep it there. About 4 blocks that are 2-3" wide and 3/4" thick crammed between the rim and the tire bead help a LOT. You may have to wrap an adjustable strap around it once the bead is down in the valley and cinch it as tight as possible to make it stay down in valley. Then slowly work your way around the rim. Good luck.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Come on in! The water is fine!! I guess I'm a wimp, because I have absolutely no intention of even trying to mount a run flat tire myself!! I pay whatever the shop willing to mount it charges. I've paid from about $7-10 at Walmart to $25 elsewhere. Money well spent in my mind!!!!

·
Registered
8,582 Posts
Welcome

Welcome to the (soon to be) Darkside. PM Murgie for a DS (Darkside) #, and if interested in a DS Decal here's the info:

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...THEM-HERE-INFO

And welcome to miles of smiles.

I mount my own tires (previously BikerJohn was gracious enough to do it for the cost of lunch ;)) It is more difficult than a standard bike tire, but not much more so (my opinion). The bike shops near where I used to live charged $35 to $70 to mount a tire - way too much.

Lots of good info here - http://murgie.com/FAQ.htm and here http://www.murgie.com/dsi_roster.txt

EDIT - Before your factory warranty runs out - you really might want to consider getting an extended warranty thru our board sponsor - can get it for around $400 on sale.

·
Registered
2,918 Posts
Welcome to the DARKSIDE....... :flg:
Don't forget to get your # an Decal....

·
Special Administrator "Internal Affairs" To Facili
6,943 Posts

I believe we are around an hour from each other. I have couple CTs on rims if you would like to try one before you buy one. (Alpin and a Yoko) I too will never go back to a MC tire.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Cut off the MT and take the naked rim and the RF CT to wal mart and they'll do it for $5. Just tell them it's off a custom trailer. You want your TPMS lights to work? Then I recommend reverse registration so you can run 32psi in the rear so lights will work like they should.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Boomer
that is a tempting offer.
My schedule for the rest of this week is as follows
Tuesday I have an Interview in Chillicothe around noon then I'm working Jackson County and get off 8 am Wednesday. then back 12 hour shift 8 PM to 8 am Friday and Saturday again Jackson County. I just got off a 12+ hour shift in Pike county. My schedule is subject to change due to the interview and floating Jackson and Pike Counties. I would like to take you up on the offer to try it if We can get our schedules to match some how.

·
6,943 Posts
Boomer
that is a tempting offer.
My schedule for the rest of this week is as follows
Tuesday I have an Interview in Chillicothe around noon then I'm working Jackson County and get off 8 am Wednesday. then back 12 hour shift 8 PM to 8 am Friday and Saturday again Jackson County. I just got off a 12+ hour shift in Pike county. My schedule is subject to change due to the interview and floating Jackson and Pike Counties. I would like to take you up on the offer to try it if We can get our schedules to match some how.
PM sent

·
Premium Member
31,967 Posts
Getting a RF on the rim is a chore. After that, everything else is a piece of cake - or rather, a batch of Darkside cookies.

Rumor has it that you can get everything ready, call Rail and set your cell phone next to the tire changer. He can talk a tire onto the rim remotely!

Well almost;)
but yes I will answer any questions and talk ya through installation

·
Registered
3,895 Posts

The CT whisperer. ;)

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My schedule is getting filled pretty good right now. I'm going to have to just get a tire on this thing so I can ride to Columbus for some of the training that is scheduled for me. My interview seems to have went really well. I'm still leaning for the Bridgestone run flat. Just concern about getting it put on. I guess I could try and mount it my self and if I can,t get on see if I can find some that will do it for me. Now if the Tire whisper would just talk that tire on would be great.

·
Premium Member
31,967 Posts
My schedule is getting filled pretty good right now. I'm going to have to just get a tire on this thing so I can ride to Columbus for some of the training that is scheduled for me. My interview seems to have went really well. I'm still leaning for the Bridgestone run flat. Just concern about getting it put on. I guess I could try and mount it my self and if I can,t get on see if I can find some that will do it for me. Now if the Tire whisper would just talk that tire on would be great.
If you need help pm me for my home phone number .

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tire ordered Bridgestone DriveGuard 3G RFT 195/55RF16.
Will try and get it on the rim when it comes in. I may get the top half of the harbor freight tire changer to use with the bottom I already have instead of using my make shift tire changer.
Thanks for the help. I will PM the Tire whisper so I can glean some knowledge.

·
6,943 Posts
Tire ordered Bridgestone DriveGuard 3G RFT 195/55RF16.
Will try and get it on the rim when it comes in. I may get the top half of the harbor freight tire changer to use with the bottom I already have instead of using my make shift tire changer.
Thanks for the help. I will PM the Tire whisper so I can glean some knowledge.
You are almost there! :clap2: And yes if you need help my little buddy Rail is always willing to help and he is good putting tires on with a spoon. (Just don't tell him I called him my buddy and that he was good for anything):shock::lol: We still need to get together, maybe a RTE!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts