GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of replacing my windshield with a new one . I am undecided to which one I should buy. There are so many out there to choose from, this one has this coating and that one has polycarbinate ect. ect. Im looking for one that fits like the size of the adjustable Tulsa standard model that is 3" wider at the top and 1-1/2" wider at the bottom.
I guess my question is how does the Tulsa hold up in preventing scratches. I am very careful when it comes to taking care of a windshield but there are some out there that no matter how good you are with them, they still scratch.
I know this topic will open up a can of worms, but that's ok. I am open to suggestions from all. I just want a good durable windscreen that will hold up to the environment it comes in contact with.

Thanks, Rick

·
Registered
2,547 Posts
My tulsa is from the summer of 2003. I always clean-polish in up & down wipes only. Never side to side. I have two spots were a rock hit from a large truck, not Tulsa's fault. As long as it is polished, it looks to have another 5 years of life.

I swear though, with how the Tulsa comes straight back, there is zero buffetting on you, and the stereo sounds great. I don't think the stereo could sound the same if the Tulsa didn't come back to your head the way it does.

Herb

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
This will be the 3rd season with my -2. I don't take the best of care of it and it's been holding up great. It's a huge improvement over stock.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
I have had nothing but Tulsa on three different wings. I love them. I can say they hold up rather well if you take care of them. I use nothing but Plexus for my cleaner and seems to work with the screen. :lol:

·
Registered
3,692 Posts
Had the same Tulsa on my 86 SEi for 10 years (71k miles), a Tulsa on my 2000 SE for 5 years (72k miles), and a Tulsa on my 2005 now for 3 1/2 years (42k miles and counting). Excellent clarity (follow their directions for cleaning); never an issue with it's quality. Provides a good "bubble" for rider and passenger protection. Rain actually runs up the w/s and then down the outer edges, but does comes over the top when you hit a bump. I like 'em!

·
Registered
4,635 Posts
Never having had anything other than the stock windshield, I cannot comment on the Tulsa. But I don't see a problem with the stock one. Mine is an "03" 51,000 miles and the only marks are from a stone on the very left upper edge, clarity is good and minimal scratches.:?:

·
Registered
855 Posts
I've been mulling over this, too. Direct line parts has one that's swept back AND adjustable for about the same $$$. Can anyone offer a comparison between the two?:?:

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't think I want the swept back one only because I want some air flow during the summer months. I live in Florida and just raising the stock winshield is a big help during the so called winter, but I thought by going with the Tulsa, it's a little wider at the top and bottom and figured it would be just right. Less buffering and still give me the air flow I need.

Big reason for the question is just dont want to purchase a screen that cant handle the cleaning all the time. I like a clear view 100% of the time. Lots of bugs in South Florida and continually cleaning bug guts off of the shield.

I tried buffing mine out but it is 6 years old and lots of fine swirl marks that I just said the hell with it. Buy a new one.

Regards, Rick

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
This will be the 3rd season with my -2. I don't take the best of care of it and it's been holding up great. It's a huge improvement over stock.
Do you have a pic of the -2 on your bike with it in the low position? Just interested in how it looks. Im sure it looks great!

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
I have had the Tulsa X-tall since 02, and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

When cleaning, I always use a HOT towel to lay on the shield for a few min to soften the bugs up.
Then finish with Plexus.

No scratches to this day....

·
Registered
321 Posts
I have had the Tulsa X-tall since 02, and it looks as good as the day I bought it.

When cleaning, I always use a HOT towel to lay on the shield for a few min to soften the bugs up.
Then finish with Plexus.

No scratches to this day....
Pretty much the same here on my 02 Xtall, 65 K on it and no real blemishes. :yes1:

·
Soon to be Former Member
7,733 Posts
Do you have a pic of the -2 on your bike with it in the low position? Just interested in how it looks. Im sure it looks great!
let me see if I can find it. I took one a long time ago with me sitting on the bike and posted it.

If I don't respond tomorrow, PM me and remind me.

·
Registered
1,631 Posts
I have the SlipStreamer Tall with vent. Looks like and is mistaken for a Tulsa Tall all the time. It works great and with Baker hand wings and the vent on the shield open,air flow is not a problem at all. This shield is acrylic, no coatings on it that I am aware of. I keep a bucket of water in my garage with a drop of simple green in it and I wipe the shield down and dry it every morning with a microfiber cloth just before I head to work. No buffeting for me or my wife when 2-up. Good shield.

·
Gold Member
1,425 Posts
I don't think I want the swept back one only because I want some air flow during the summer months. I live in Florida and just raising the stock winshield is a big help during the so called winter, but I thought by going with the Tulsa, it's a little wider at the top and bottom and figured it would be just right. Less buffering and still give me the air flow I need.

Big reason for the question is just dont want to purchase a screen that cant handle the cleaning all the time. I like a clear view 100% of the time. Lots of bugs in South Florida and continually cleaning bug guts off of the shield.

I tried buffing mine out but it is 6 years old and lots of fine swirl marks that I just said the hell with it. Buy a new one.

Regards, Rick
The only real answer is an F4 as far as surface durability and ease of cleaning.

Bradford

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes I have seen that screen but dont want to pay the price. If I can find something that will work as good, I will go for it.
Thanks,
Rick

·
Registered
544 Posts
I got an F4 +2 last year and it's great! It has a special coating on it that is much harder and more durable. It's the only windshield that instructs you to wash or clean it with windex and paper towel. So far, no scratches of any kind, crystal clear view and no "special" (expensive) cleaners and cloth towels.

I saw the F4 display at a ralley and they had a windshield wiper attached to one. The wiper had been going back and forth across the windshield all day with steel wool attached to the blade. In all that time there were no scratches on on any part of the F4. Yes it costs more, but I believe it will last as long as the bike. And windex is a lot cheaper than any of the special plastic cleaners/polishes required for the rest of the windshields. Just my two bits, results may vary.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I'm in the same boat - been going in circles for 2 months and can't figure out what to get. At 6' 3", I need at least a +4 to reduce some of the buffeting.

I had a +5 on the Voyager, but hated looking through the shield in the rain. I need to retain the Wings shield adjustability, so that pretty much eliminates the Tulsa. The F4 sounded good until I got electrocuted from sticker shock. The Windbender also looked interesting, but they don't seem to make a tall.

This really shouldn't be that tough. :wrong:

·
Registered
1,650 Posts
The Windbender also looked interesting, but they don't seem to make a tall.

This really shouldn't be that tough. :wrong:
The windbender has 3" of adjustability in addition to the stock amount- not sure a "tall" is necessary. I know you're tall, but , just sayin.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I'm in the process of replacing my windshield with a new one . I am undecided to which one I should buy. There are so many out there to choose from, this one has this coating and that one has polycarbinate ect. ect. Im looking for one that fits like the size of the adjustable Tulsa standard model that is 3" wider at the top and 1-1/2" wider at the bottom.
I guess my question is how does the Tulsa hold up in preventing scratches. I am very careful when it comes to taking care of a windshield but there are some out there that no matter how good you are with them, they still scratch.
I know this topic will open up a can of worms, but that's ok. I am open to suggestions from all. I just want a good durable windscreen that will hold up to the environment it comes in contact with.

Thanks, Rick
I have the -2 tinted with the vent, love it :thumbup: seeing over the windshield is what I like and even at this height the buffeting is minimal :yes1: I don't like tall windshields but to each his own. ;) As for the quality I do what most of the folks do, I carry a wet rag in a bad and moisten the bugs down before I try to remove them and then use Plexus :thumbup: that stuff is great :cool:

1 - 20 of 35 Posts