GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is a Unigo knock off and from the looks of the engineering, it might be even better than a Unigo. Does anyone have any experience with these trailers? (or have one or a unigo for sale??).
As always, thanks in advance. [email protected]

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
I have a friend that is a rep for third wheel now. He just started selling them here in WI.
We ride together in the summer. In fact Renny is leaving for AK in about a week. Pulling one of his Third Wheels. Renny rides a ST1100 and is pulling the larger trailer right now. I followed him one day just to check it out.
The third wheel pulled fine, very stable. Tracked real nice. And they seem to be built well. They use the same style hitch as Uni Go.
So far from talking with Renny he is having no issues with the trailer. I Know they are changing out the frame on the smaller version.
Nice little trailer.

Lee

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
An acquaintance of mine has a Third Wheel Trailer. He and his wife, my wife and I (along with our Uni-go) and a couple of other bikes did a two-week ride from Vancouver, BC to Utah a few years ago. in addition to the great scenery of Utah, it provided an opportunity to see how the two single wheeled trailers performed side by side. Each was connected to a 2-up GL1800.

The Third Wheel was new to the other rider and this was their first trip with it loaded up and with full weight on the bike.

The only real problem they encountered was with the stabilizing stand, under the draw bar. It holds the trailer upright when its not connected to the hitch.

At the first gas stop, the stabilizing stand dragged leaving the gas station and one of its little feet torn off. Even after being made aware of this potential drag point, the stand was twisted and bend a couple of days later. As a side note. I looked through the picture gallery on the Third Wheel sight and noticed many of the other trailers did not have the stability stand. Its removal resolves the above problem but would make it challenging to keep the trailer upright when not hitched up.

The only other design issue that had a direct impact was loading the trailer and keeping the contents in place. The shell splits about half way up. When contents are loaded they need to be stacked and may want to fall off or get caught in the seam while closing the lid. The acquisition of a cargo net resolved that problem.

Both of the above were relatively minor and any other issues where personal perception. I personally did not like the very visible frame underneath as it had a significant impact on the unit's visual appeal. Whenever other bikers gathered around at the evening's motel stop (ofter), most of the attention was on the Uni-go with comments referencing it as a more sophisticated and finished design.

The other rider did not feel comfortable at speeds above 75 mph (nothing to do with the trailer) so I cannot comment on how it towed at high speed. At the speeds we traveled, both the Uni-go and Third Wheel worked equally well.

The Uni-go looks better and its design is more refined (IMHO) but it also costs more. There is nothing significantly negative about the Third Wheel that I am aware of and if you want to save a few dollars, it is a viable alternative for a single wheel trailer.

As a side note, as things may have changed in this regard, I had some quality control and delivery issues with my Uni-go and the Third Wheel owner had delivery challenges from that manufacturer as well.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have a friend that is a rep for third wheel now. He just started selling them here in WI.
We ride together in the summer. In fact Renny is leaving for AK in about a week. Pulling one of his Third Wheels. Renny rides a ST1100 and is pulling the larger trailer right now. I followed him one day just to check it out.
The third wheel pulled fine, very stable. Tracked real nice. And they seem to be built well. They use the same style hitch as Uni Go.
So far from talking with Renny he is having no issues with the trailer. I Know they are changing out the frame on the smaller version.
Nice little trailer.

Lee
you think a golf bag will fit

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
The Uni-Go in my opinion is a much nicer lookin trailer but I just brought my second one recently and their fit and finish still leaves a lot to be desired. My unit had stripped hinge screws (to be replaced), the taillight trim is not even (nothing can be done), the gasket under the lid is about an inch short of making a seal all the way around th opening (to be replaced), and the ground wire was never hooked up in the tail light assembly (dealer had to troubleshoot and fix). Fortunately I bought through a dealer that is having to deal with getting all of this squared away.

If I had to do it over I would give a good look at the 3rd wheel...

·
Registered
368 Posts
I think ChrisE has one for sale

·
Registered
3,551 Posts
So does BigCat, but this thread is almost a year old.

·
Registered
1,734 Posts
Daddo,
What GL1800 Wire harness did you use to wire your third wheel trailer?

Thanks
I responded to this question, sent to me in a PM. For anyone else with a similar question, here is the reply I sent.

I ordered a hitch and the isolator system all from Schoolhouse along with my Uni-go trailer. The hitch sold by Schoolhouse is manufactured by Bushtech and I thought the isolator was as well until I looked it up on the Schoolhouse site a couple of minutes ago. the picture on their website (http://www.uni-go.com/products.php?cat=10&pg=2) shows an Electrical Connection product and it looks like the one I installed.
I believe the isolator wired straight into the female connector that the trailer's male connector hooked up to.
I hope that is the information you need. It was a few years ago now that I connected all that up. I have enough trouble remembering what I had for super yesterday much less a wiring job from years ago.

·
Curious Member
877 Posts
The Uni-Go in my opinion is a much nicer lookin trailer but I just brought my second one recently and their fit and finish still leaves a lot to be desired. My unit had stripped hinge screws (to be replaced), the taillight trim is not even (nothing can be done), the gasket under the lid is about an inch short of making a seal all the way around th opening (to be replaced), and the ground wire was never hooked up in the tail light assembly (dealer had to troubleshoot and fix). Fortunately I bought through a dealer that is having to deal with getting all of this squared away.

If I had to do it over I would give a good look at the 3rd wheel...
I solved the issue with the tail light by installing some door edge material. My trailer is black so there was no problem with matching the colour.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts