GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a member of a Gwrra motorcycle group CA1M and we use Garmin products to exchange routs we plane and ride..I have had a Garmin Zumo 660 for about 4 months. The first unit failed out of the box because it would not recognize the SD card. Garmin Tech Support tried for hours to resolve the problem. The 1st replacement would work for a while then shut off, it would recognize the SD card and play the mp3 files. When plugging the units into the computer, and having "My Computer" window open the Zumo and the SD card would show for a very brief moment then disappear. The 3rd Zumo 660 was new out of the box and functioned great for a couple months. Then last night when trying to load a route the Mapsource program couldn't find the Zumo. I checked the screen "My Computer" and neither the Zumo or the SD card was shown. After removing the SD card the computer would recognize the Zumo, but with the SD card installed in the Zumo the computer would show both the Zumo and the SD card Briefly and then the drives would disappear. WTF is going on!!!!:( Can't Garmin fix the problem without exchanging the unit? Has anyone else had this problem?

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I am a member of a Gwrra motorcycle group CA1M and we use Garmin products to exchange routs we plane and ride..I have had a Garmin Zumo 660 for about 4 months. The first unit failed out of the box because it would not recognize the SD card. Garmin Tech Support tried for hours to resolve the problem. The 1st replacement would work for a while then shut off, it would recognize the SD card and play the mp3 files. When plugging the units into the computer, and having "My Computer" window open the Zumo and the SD card would show for a very brief moment then disappear. The 3rd Zumo 660 was new out of the box and functioned great for a couple months. Then last night when trying to load a route the Mapsource program couldn't find the Zumo. I checked the screen "My Computer" and neither the Zumo or the SD card was shown. After removing the SD card the computer would recognize the Zumo, but with the SD card installed in the Zumo the computer would show both the Zumo and the SD card Briefly and then the drives would disappear. WTF is going on!!!!:( Can't Garmin fix the problem without exchanging the unit? Has anyone else had this problem?
Is it the same SD card?
Could be a bad SD card I had one go bad and i thought it was the zumo but it was the sd card.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good SD card

I sure it's a good card. It works on 2 different computers, I've formatted the card and installed it in the 660 and when I plugged in the USB cable the computer recognized the Zumo and the SD card briefly then they both disappeared. The computer recognized the Zumo without the SD card. When this happened with the other 2 660s Garmin replaced both of them. Now the new one is doing the same thing.:shrug: I'm getting tired of having to send in the Zumo then waiting 2 weeks for a replacement.:twisted:

·
Registered
307 Posts
I would use a different SD card no matter how "good" the other one might be.

·
Registered
4,935 Posts
If nothing else, borrow or trade with someones working sd card then test the Zumo out with that. Or for under $10, buy a Walmart 4GB SD card, if it doesn't work, take it back.

It is entirely possible that that brand of SD card doesn't play well with Zumo.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I would use a different SD card no matter how "good" the other one might be.
:agree: ...the SD card is the first place I would look to swap out as a test. No issues whatsoever with my 660 and a $26 16G class 2 card.

I've had cards work in a reader, laptop and smartphone, but not in a PDA. Some SD cards and devices do not play nice together on occasion.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
I would agree, I had a SD card that would work for about an hour then fail in my zumoo 660...I finaly tried a new SD and never had a problem since....

However, I would highly recommend joining the Garmin Zumo forum...they have bailled me out several times on my 660...great forum....

Safe Rides

1 - 7 of 7 Posts