GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The second day I had my new Goldwing we were in town on a street with 2 lanes in each direction. I was in the left hand lane when the driver next to me started to change lanes into me.
I hit the horn and immediately got his attention, and mine too. I was shocked that I had a real horn and not that wimpy little beep beep horn that was standard equipment on all my previous motorcycles.
I never tested out the horn on a modern Goldwing before I purchased my 07. Didn't even to think about testing it on delivery. I was presently surprised at it's volume and tone.
Good job mother Honda. :D

·
Vendor
22,058 Posts
I love the horn on this bike. It is the first bike that I didn't need to upgrade the horn on.

I had to add two new horns and a relay to the FJR the day after I brought it home. I won't ride a bike with a whimpy little beep beep horn on it. There are way too many inattentive cell phone drivers around here, and it is my only defense sometimes.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
Fred H. said:
... I had to add two new horns and a relay to the FJR the day after I brought it home. I won't ride a bike with a whimpy little beep beep horn on it. There are way too many inattentive cell phone drivers around here, and it is my only defense sometimes.
Which ones did you choose? I'm interested for my wife's new Shadow VLX.

·
Registered
221 Posts
I concur! The GL1800 is louder than most horns on cars and trucks (it's louder than the horn on my '06 Tacoma) and gets the attention of the BDC's.

Ed W.

·
Registered
902 Posts
The horn definately does not sound like a motorcycle horn. More like a big car horn. You know, like one of those big American cars from the 60's and early 70's.

·
Registered
5,252 Posts
YEP!

startled the crap out of the neighbor kid yesterday. He was farting around in the street on his dad's quad thing NOT looking in the direction he was traveling..... the horns on the 1800 got his attention
:lol:

·
Registered
48 Posts
Salesman was showing me all the bells and whistles on my Wing and when he honked the horn I nearly jumped out of my skin.

I was quite suprised and also very pleased (after the underwear change.)

·
Legend in His Own Mind
4,671 Posts
NovellRed said:
The second day I had my new Goldwing we were in town on a street with 2 lanes in each direction. I was in the left hand lane when the driver next to me started to change lanes into me.
I hit the horn and immediately got his attention, and mine too. I was shocked that I had a real horn and not that wimpy little beep beep horn that was standard equipment on all my previous motorcycles.
I never tested out the horn on a modern Goldwing before I purchased my 07. Didn't even to think about testing it on delivery. I was presently surprised at it's volume and tone.
Good job mother Honda. :D
It is a very good horn. An attention getter. I'm glad it made the cager quit moving over into you. I had the same thing happen recently. The lady was moving over into me and my lane, I honked, she turned looked and saw me brake and just kept on coming. Cages bully bikes like 18 wheelers bully cages, Grrr. : :twisted:

·
Registered
236 Posts
It's also fun to use the button on the remote to sound the horn when people in a parking lot start to get to close. It sure makes them jump. :D

·
Registered
2,675 Posts
If I have a complaint about the horn, it's the button for the horn. For me, it seems like I hit the dang thing once or twice a day, not meaning too, on an all day ride. Usually I wave and act like I know someone.

·
Registered
4,240 Posts
jafi_fink said:
If I have a complaint about the horn, it's the button for the horn. For me, it seems like I hit the dang thing once or twice a day, not meaning too, on an all day ride. Usually I wave and act like I know someone.
Me, too. Usually my glove catches on it :oops: , and I've considered trimming it down a bit.

Anyway, I never thought about the fake wave before, thanks for the tip! :wink: Maybe it won't be as embarassing for me next time! :lol:

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
The horn on my Wing has saved my @$$ at least twice. Scared the living crap out of some poor woman that was trying to change lanes into me. I saw her coming and watched her jump in her seat. I think the seatbelt was the only thing that saved her from hitting her head on the roof of her car.

It was most gratifying :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

·
Registered
56 Posts
I've startled myself with that horn several times during the three weeks that I've had my Goldwing. It seems to happen when I'm reaching for the MUTE button next to it. I press MUTE when coming to a stop at a light so I don't annoy drivers with my radio. The horn is worse for ticking off these other drivers though.

As others said, it's a great horn, better than I've ever had on my other four motorcycles over the years. I've saved an airhorn for my next motorcycle but I don't need it on this one.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
When I took my '01 over to my H-D buddy's house and honked the horn he said he thought there was a Buick in the driveway.

·
Registered
393 Posts
The first time I needed mine was in Arkansas. Had pulled out with a group of riders to discover I had not latched my helmet to my head. Hit the horn to get their attention and all they are doing is looking for the cage that is honking at them. I too love this horn, best in the industry.
Glen

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
MikeInWA said:
The horn on my Wing has saved my @$$ at least twice. Scared the living crap out of some poor woman that was trying to change lanes into me. I saw her coming and watched her jump in her seat. I think the seatbelt was the only thing that saved her from hitting her head on the roof of her car.

It was most gratifying :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
+1 here a CELL phone CELL phone went flying SHE (he he he) went flying also !!! seat belt saved her!!! I still laugh when I think about it!!! (the SO said"you did that on perpous " I said "YES I DID!!!!!" as I laughed my a$$ off :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts