GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'd been thinking about installing Homelink for a while but I REALLY didn't want to take the whole bike apart again so I forgot about it. I was perusing Max's videos one day and noticed a comment by one of the viewers about putting the transmitter in the trunk. Did a search on this forum and found a post detailing how to install the buttons using Helibars' video on lifting the console. Combined these two sources and Homelink was installed in one hour flat and without taking hardly anything apart :)

I wouldn't have done it without these resources and the folks that go to the trouble to share their ideas. A big Thank You to everyone who takes the time.

Marc

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
so by removing the console as per the heli instructions, you were able to take it apart and install the button and connector? man, thatd be great for the fog lights too.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so by removing the console as per the heli instructions, you were able to take it apart and install the button and connector? man, that'd be great for the fog lights too.
Yup, a piece of cake. The cables are long enough so you can turn it upside down. Plenty of room to work. Just be sure to cover the shelter with a towel so you don't scratch anything. BTW, there is no connector, just two plastic buttons.

Marc

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have the link on installing the Homelink buttons... I've got the Helibar link.... ty....
There is no link for that. I just used the instructions from Honda on how to take apart the console and install the buttons. Takes 10 minutes. Max has a video that shows him installing the buttons as does Cruiseman. Do a search for "2018 Goldwing Homelink install" on YouTube.

Marc

·
Registered
52 Posts
There is no link for that. I just used the instructions from Honda on how to take apart the console and install the buttons. Takes 10 minutes. Max has a video that shows him installing the buttons as does Cruiseman. Do a search for "2018 Goldwing Homelink install" on YouTube.

Marc

Ty

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Here is the comment in regards to putting the transmitter in the trunk. Takes just a few minutes and really doesn't take hardly any room. The thing is tiny and double sided tapes to the back wall of the trunk.

I put mine in in 11/2 hours! And most of that time was head scratching to come up with a sensible way to avoid the nonsense of this install.
First , I only tilted the console up to install the switch. ( no panels removed, no plugs disconnected)
Second, there no electrical reason for the module to reside in the trunk! I noted the the harness is just the right length to reach the trunk when routed along the same path along the right frame rail. The right front corner of the trunk had a nice triangular flat spot in its floor. Just drill a hole sized for the grommet on the Homelink harness and rout the plug into the trunk, plug in the module, Velcro it to the front wall of the trunk and you’re done. Mine works from 80 yards away from my house . Hardest part was disassembly of the console for the switch and r & r of the seat. Seriously, once I saw that the harness reached the trunk, the module install took me about 20 to 30 minutes including drilling the hole. Easy peasy !!

Marc

1 - 8 of 8 Posts