GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother-in-law bought my used 1800 VTXR and finally needed a new rear tire. He bought one from Hal and had it shipped to him.

Now comes the stealer part....The local Honda dealer wanted $150 just to install the tire. He even told my brother-in-law that if he had bought the tire from him for $320 that would have included the tire install.

This is why...I am very cautious of Honda dealers.

Long story short. He had the tire mounted and balanced at his friendly Harley dealer for $75. It doesn't pay to live in West Virginia!

Buyer Beware!!!!

·
Registered
2,082 Posts
Honda of Lubbock will mount tires bought from them for free, and they will match any price on any tire anywhere. They will also mount on any kind of bike.:yes1:

·
Registered
341 Posts
We do not have a local Honda dealer here so I called the Harley dealer here to see if they would mount a tire for me. They asked what kind of bike, I told them a Goldwing and they said NO!!! I have not been back there. So I guess all dealers are not alike.

·
Registered
1,209 Posts
We do not have a local Honda dealer here so I called the Harley dealer here to see if they would mount a tire for me. They asked what kind of bike, I told them a Goldwing and they said NO!!! I have not been back there. So I guess all dealers are not alike.
Wow, a Harley dealership but no Honda dealer, that's rare.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I just mounted my rear using the tire machine at the local garage. The owner is a good friend. We added some old inter tube rubber over the jaws that hold the rim and it worked fine. Use Dyna Beads for ballancing.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I have a friend that help me mount and balance my tires ,no$$$$ just a good friend .D F W Pilot he is on the forum ,he is an instructor and just a great guy all around :thumbup:

The Valkyrie guys all get to gather and help each other it is called a wrench party ,goldwingers could take a lesson from them !!!

I don't hear of any wrench party's on this forum or by goldwingers
guess if you can afford one you can afford the maintenance .I cant so I do all the work I can .

so if you live in the DFW TX.area and want to save some money let's throw a wrench party some time I will do all I can to help ya .I am lucky to have several friends that have lifts and tools I have most tools ,die grinders ,drills ,welder gas and MIG welder .been working with my hands all my life ,see ya on the road Blade :thumbup:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Wench Party

Well I guess I am lucky. On of the guy in our Gold Wing Group Retired. Has offer to help me and I know other members on installs like chome, trailer hitches, Some light and GPS units. Hopfuly He hasn't forgot much. But might be in trouble he has called his wife Honey and love for the past 7 years because he dosen't rember her name. Still know how to turn a wench.
I also have a good friend that owns a tractor dealer ship that will mount the rear Gold Wing Tires. Use Dyna beads about $ 4 per tire if you buy the bulk for all your vechiles

;) Bob

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I work on my buddies Wings...free of charge if they are club members..
I have installed everything that can be done.. so I'm affraid of
nothing.

·
Registered
352 Posts
My local Honda dealer will mount and balance any tire I bring in for $25. I have been very happy with everything they've done for me including the incredible price for the 08 Wing one year ago!:p

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
No not all dealers are the same...The Harley Dealership in my area Mid-America HD :thumbup: were more than happy to mount my cobras 22.50 ea.
The service manager said with his balancing machine he needed the rotors on the wheels to balance with their machine...No problem I am using the DynaBeads

The closest Honda dealer 45-50 miles away will only mount what they sell,any tire you want as long as it's a Dunlop E3 and you will need to take out a second morgage by the time they bend you over on the price :eek:4:

I wanted to mount this set myself,I just haven't gathered everything I need yet...Before the next set I will have everything needed to change my own,I like the thought of not having to rely on anyone and change them on my own schedule :thumbup:

·
Registered
3,663 Posts
I have a friend that help me mount and balance my tires ,no$$$$ just a good friend .D F W Pilot he is on the forum ,he is an instructor and just a great guy all around :thumbup:

The Valkyrie guys all get to gather and help each other it is called a wrench party ,goldwingers could take a lesson from them !!!

I don't hear of any wrench party's on this forum or by goldwingers
guess if you can afford one you can afford the maintenance .I cant so I do all the work I can .

so if you live in the DFW TX.area and want to save some money let's throw a wrench party some time I will do all I can to help ya .I am lucky to have several friends that have lifts and tools I have most tools ,die grinders ,drills ,welder gas and MIG welder .been working with my hands all my life ,see ya on the road Blade :thumbup:[/quot

your just in the wrong part of the country :thumbup:

http://208.43.95.107/forums/showthread.php?t=207319

·
Registered
109 Posts
tire mounting

Wal-Mart will mount tires, I don't remember how much they charge.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
My Honda dealer charges $24 per wheel to mount/balance if I bring in the new tire and the wheel with the old tire.

If I bring in the whole bike and ask them to mount/balance my new tire, they charge the shop labor rate ($75/half hour, IIRC), so the quote of $150 in the OP doesn't seem unreasonable assuming the shop had to mount/dismount the wheel from the bike.

I will GLADLY mount/dismount my own wheels if it saves me $100 in labor!!!

I'd mount and balance my own tires if I had the room for the equipment to do so.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts