GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On FB this guy says he found a cheap mechanic.

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Saves on brake pads. This actually happened to a friend of mine after he bought a new tire and had them install it. The shop paid for the new caliper and rotor

·
Registered
480 Posts

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Something doesn't add up.
Pads are not seated in the caliper.
They would fall out as soon as the rotor is turned.
Looks to be a staged photo.
You might be right. I think it depends on the caliper design. Even though the shop my friend used, installed them the same way as the picture, his pads did not rotate on the pin and fall. When we got back to the shop they were still in the caliper the way the shop had installed them. This was a number of years ago, I think he was riding a K1300 BMW.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg

·
Vendor
17,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Not sure if I am posting what you see but it appears in 2 different area there are cracks in the picture?
Good catch ... I see possibly 1 crack. Of coarse an inspection is needed to be sure, but from here I think I see a crack. Where do you see the other ???

·
Registered
397 Posts
Good catch ... I see possibly 1 crack. Of coarse an inspection is needed to be sure, but from here I think I see a crack. Where do you see the other ???

View attachment 373813
Interesting. I didn't see the crack. Admittedly, I looked no further after seeing the caliper wall worn from the rotor. Either way, this is a costly adventure that could have had life changing consequences.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Ruh-roh!

·
Premium Member
2,855 Posts
Something doesn't add up.
Pads are not seated in the caliper.
They would fall out as soon as the rotor is turned.
Looks to be a staged photo.
I don't believe the pads would necessarily fall out. As soon as the brake lever was squeezed, which might be even before the motorcycle was moved, the pads would be locked together with considerable pressure. Also, the rotor appears to have worn into the caliper body. It could be staged, but a rider would have to be willing to allow his caliper to be damaged, and that would be an expensive joke. What to me does argue for staging is how much noise that rotor rubbing against that caliper would have made while wearing away that much metal. But having done things nearly as stupid, and channeling Crabballs ("you can never underestimate the power of human stupidity and determination"), I think it's possible this is the real deal.

·
motorcycle cowboy
901 Posts

View attachment 373813
Not only is there a crack in the caliper, but also the rotor has eaten into the caliper and vice versa.

Reactions: GoldWingrGreg
1 - 20 of 36 Posts