GL1800Riders Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Extra Spicy Seasoned Member
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lewis, I am thinking about hard wiring my wireless remote for the Ipod to my unused handlebar CD control switches. Fred H. did it and said it worked great. I would like to do it without cutting or splicing wires. Can you provide the connectors and pins that will allow me to do that?

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would like to do it plug and play. I have not checked out the schematic to be certain that there is a connector somewhere between the handlebar switches and the trunk. Fred used a wired remote and the old Ipod. I will be using a wireless remote and the new Ipod. Don't want to foul up the handle bar switches in case of a resale.

·
Registered
4,134 Posts
Ted,

I've never really looked at it, but I am going to guess no. The CB uses a common in with seperate outs (according to the ETM). I am fairly sure a rewire would be required.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Ted,

I think you'll find that if you look closely at the wiring diagram, you'll have to cut the wires to isolate the switches so that you can do what you want them to do.

Sorry 'bout that... :(

That being said, what you're looking to do can be done without having to do too much re-work at trade-in time. I completely removed my switches and replaced them with switches that better suit my needs.

I'll need to re-install them when I sell the bike, but that'll hopefully be a few years down the road anyway.

I have some information on the process I used here, if you're interested.

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Lewis, As usual you come right back with a reply.

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Jon, it appears that they are single function switches and you do not use them for a CB. The rotary switch is interesting.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
That's right, Ted. My needs were for single-function switches, not the momentary style that you probably want (and are already there).

My intent was to show that you could pick up those contacts in the switch assembly and install your own wire if you didn't want to hack up the harness.

When it comes time to sell the bike, you simply re-attach the OEM wires, pull out your new cable and re-attach everything. Probably less than an hour or two.

Good luck with your application :)

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Jon, where did you get the four switches that you added to the R.H. panel?

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Ted,

That panel was a custom assembly I built for another biker that included some plug and play connectors, pigtail harness to plug into the heated grip power connector, etc.

The switches themselves are available at Mouser Electronics, but they are not weatherproof. That being said, for the cost and size benefits, they'd be easy and cheap enough ($2) to replace if/when they ever do fail.

Let me know if I can provide any further information.

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks Jon. I think that the connector for the LH handlebar switches is in front of the RH pocket.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
I don't have my manual with me at work, Ted, but I think you're right.

Once you remove enough plastic to get at the connectors, you'll probably be able to remove the terminals from the plugs by depressing the small locking tab that holds them in place.

I would make connector adapters to pick up the signal from the connector terminal without having to cut any wires, insulate them and run them to your IPod. Depending on where you're mounting you're mounting your unit, you may want to put some in-line connectors so the wiring can be easily disconnected if/when your bike needs to go in for service.

Now, if you ever have to restore it, simply remove your harness, re-insert the terminals in the OEM connector and you're done!

Have fun!

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking more about purchasing a set of male/female connectors from Lewis and making it true plug and play. Looked at some of your switches at the site you mentioned. You are correct, even if they are not waterproof at less than 2 bucks who cares.

Might take another approach and just add 2 seperate switches. One to up/down thru the songs and another for the on/off. The volume can be handled by the bikes audio system. Open the remote and wire direct into it.

·
Registered
6,891 Posts
Again, I don't have my manual handy, but I thought I remembered those connectors as 26 pin or something extreme like that?

I'm pretty sure Lewis doesn't carry those in his standard stock, but it's worth a try...

·
1,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Jon, one last thought about this subject.

The tune/disk switch might be useable to up/down thru the songs in the Ipod. Am thinking that when Aux is selected the switch does not tune the radio, it being off. Since there is no CD player the contacts are then useable elswhere. Can pick those out of the connector behind the right pocket. That leaves only a momentary push button switch to add for play/pause/stop.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts