GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had posted the conversion to a CT on my ST reverse trike and here is one responds that came back - I am still scratching my head over this one.

While it wouldn't apply to a 3-wheeled vehicle, installing (not necessarily riding on it, but simply installing) a non-motorcycle-specific tire on a 2-wheel vehicle is contrary to DOT regs and is illegal.

Might not get caught, but if one gets a meticulous LEO with nothing better to do, watch out. All this, above and beyond that it's against good wisdom to run a car tire on a bike.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Law and Sanity

I just can't imagine any law that would fine a person for running a superior tire on a motorcycle. While I can't say it "is" or "isn't" against the law one would think knowledge would win out every time. We all heard the argument of "what is the definatation of "IS."

The CT has better everything in every category. And for an old timer like me the security of knowing that CT's don't usually explode makes my rides more pleasurable.

Having experienced that thrill on a rear a few years back I'd rather not do it again. It was a properly inflated MT with only a 1000 miles on it. In my 50 years of driving I have never had a CT explode and slide me down the blacktop. I wish I could say the same thing for a MT.

By the way I just picked up my new CT today and when Knuckledraggers MC shop gets it mounted and my dyna beads arrive later this week it will be on the wing for the weekend.

"A fine is a tax for doing wrong.":22yikes: "Income tax is a fine for doing right.":confused:
:bow:

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
No worries, DOT approved tire on a legally registered vehicle. Whats the problem???

·
Registered
9,391 Posts
I acn't imagine turning a perfectly good ST into a trike, especially with the two CTs in the front:wrong::joke:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
How many cops would know the difference, or even think to look that close and check the model of the tire against the manual or whatever? Seems pretty far fetched.

My father was a State motor carrier enforcement officer for over 40 years and in his opinion, it would never get caught unless there was a really specific need to look at your tire.

Poppy****!

Barracks lawyers!

·
Smoky
1,190 Posts
While it wouldn't apply to a 3-wheeled vehicle, installing (not necessarily riding on it, but simply installing) a non-motorcycle-specific tire on a 2-wheel vehicle is contrary to DOT regs and is illegal.

Might not get caught, but if one gets a meticulous LEO with nothing better to do, watch out. All this, above and beyond that it's against good wisdom to run a car tire on a bike.
Sounds like a real intellect to me :nojoke: ! hahahahaha

·
Registered
598 Posts
I had posted the conversion to a CT on my ST reverse trike and here is one responds that came back - I am still scratching my head over this one.
Quote:
While it wouldn't apply to a 3-wheeled vehicle, installing (not necessarily riding on it, but simply installing) a non-motorcycle-specific tire on a 2-wheel vehicle is not addressed by DOT regs and is perfectly legal.

Might not get caught, but if one gets a meticulous LEO with nothing better to do, watch out, he'll want to question you about all the advantages of a CT on a Gold Wing. All this, above and beyond that it's good wisdom to run a car tire on a bike.

There - fixed it for you. ;)

·
Registered
189 Posts
I had my bike inspected the other day at a honda shop near by and this is what they said. " We had a problem inspecting the bike as it had a car tire on the bike. I ask them what the problem was and they said it was against DOT regs. My reply was, Ok show me the reg. They couldn't and at that time a cop came in for an oil change so I ask him. He just laughed. Here is the punch line to this, THERE IS NO REG AGAINST ITS USE''.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
storm, All trikes are motorcycles. Do not all trikes use at least two CTs?

:shrug:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I guess this all boils down to ignorance is bliss.

Boy talk about a tough crowd - never mention CT on a sport tour board, it's worse than saying you can't feel oil!

I like the refined and rewritten version as it is perfectly inline now.

·
Registered
24,624 Posts
I have always had trouble trying to feel oil. I is always so slippery I cannot seem to pick it up. :joke: Kit

1 - 12 of 12 Posts