GL1800Riders Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings neighbors to the north...the Mrs. and I are heading up to Door County for an extended weekend this Friday. We will be heading up I-39 to cross the Cheddar Curtain on I-90/Beloit, and looking for another way to get up to Green Bay other than my original boring plan of just taking I-43 all the way there.

Some considerations - other than an overnight trip to Lafayette, IN (170 miles), this will be her furthest ride on a MC, so I don't really want to take 8-10 hours to get there. I've never been up I-43 along the lake, so I don't know if it is scenic (for a slab). In looking at the map I was considering maybe taking I90 north to US151 up to Fond Du Lac, then US 41 up to Green Bay to catch 57 into Door. Any other suggestions? Don't need the twisties for this trip, but some scenery would be nice, all without taking too much time. She needs to learn that it's more than just the destination that counts...I'm slowly working on that :cool:

Anyway, I'll take any route recommendations, and also if there are any must-see/must-do things in Door. I'm already planning on some pie at Sweetie Pies, some ice cream (not DQ, real ice cream or custard) and hitting all the wineries for the SO. Cookies will need to wait for a dedicated trip to Rail's Bakery...thanks for your help!

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
All Wi. Threads eventually turn into food threads :thumbup:. My only recommendation is stay away from any fish boil ,,,,,ICK

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ooo, it looks like they will still have the Summer Shandy through the end of August! That is worth a stop at the shop, but wrong side of the state for this trip. Thanks Ghost...I'll keep that in mind for the next one though.

No fish boils for me Randy...it even sounds nasty. Like some kind of weird skin disease. The SO doesn't like seafood, so I see the food and eat it all. She'll eat at a seafood restaurant, but will usually order yard bird.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Take your bride to Al Johnson's in Sister Bay for a meal and see the goats on the roof. Another place to eat is the Alpine resort. Anybody up there can give directions or just google them.

·
Registered
3,767 Posts
Either take I-43 up to Green Bay and then take Hwy 57 up to Sturgeon Bay. (fastest way)
or
Take I-43 up to Manitowoc and then take Hwy 42 along Lake Michigan to Sturgeon Bay.
Once you cross the Bridge, stay on Hwy 42, the Bay side of Door Cty.
Many nice towns from there to the tip.
We like Fish Creek the best.

·
Crazy Northerner
8,628 Posts
+1 on highway 42. Nice roads and great views. I would cut over to Sheboygan and follow the lake all the way up to Sturgeon Bay.

·
Registered
414 Posts
I like going up Hwy 42 on the east side. You can pick it up taking 310 east to Two Rivers or 29 east as you are getting close to Green Bay by going to Kewaunee. I haven't been up that way for five years but there use to be a very good hamburger/ice cream shop near the camp grounds on the left as you are coming out of Kewaunee near the large clock. They made some great shakes and hamburgers with a very large order of fries. When we use to go fish East Alaska lake that was always a stop for us.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the suggestions everyone...my original route had me taking I-43 to Manitowoc and picking up 42 all the way to the lodge. Sounds like a recommended and good route, I'll stick with that plan...and it's already loaded into the GPS :doorag:

We'll keep a look out for the restaurant in Kewaunee, and definitely gonna pay the goats a visit at Al Johnson's sometime over the weekend. Thanks again :thumbup:

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Trip report

Thanks for all the suggestions...we had a GREAT time! The SO did really well on her first LD ride @ 950 miles total for the trip. She was a little concerned about the storm that rolled through Friday afternoon, but I convinced her to press on and we arrived just as it left, treating us to a giant rainbow as we rode by. Other than some wet roads from the storm, we stayed dry the entire time, which made her happy I'm sure.

We did have some excellent frozen custard at the little place in Kewaunee (wrong time for lunch or dinner). Al's always seemed too crowed to eat at, so we just took some pictures of the goats. Dinner at Pasta Vino was FANTASIC and highly recommended, as was the 32 oz cherry wood smoked prime rib I consumed at Casey's BBQ. The pan fried lake perch at The Shoreline melted in your mouth. Then there was pie and coffee at Sweetie Pies, wine tasting at Simon Creek Winery (recommended) and Stones Throw Winery (not recommended), lots of browsing shops in Fish Creek, as well as incredible sunsets from the deck of the motel. I think this is going to become an annual event for us...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
Great to hear you 2 had a good time . :thumbup: Caseys BBQ is high on my list a must do's up there also.

·
Premium Member
31,974 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts