GL1800Riders Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to decide between my 1999 Valkyrie Interstate and 2004 GL1800 w/ABS. There is no way I can financially have both bikes at the same time.

So what to do, what to do ?

I really want to have an 04 Goldwing but I also can't let my Valk go.
I can't keep both and that's 100% certain.

Please pull me in or push me out. So, if I realize that it was a mistake ( whatever the outcome may be ) at least I can blame it on you guys in the future. :D

Ride safe all...

·
Registered
5,528 Posts
I understand what you mean. I hated to give up my 82 Silverwing for my 87 1200. Then I hated to give up my 87 1200 for my 02 1800. After the withdrawls of not having them and I look at my 1800 I am happy. I still have my vintage bikes to play with though and that makes it even :) At one time I had a pretty full garage, but some of them just had to go..... :(

I have good pictures of all of them and it is fun to look at them from time to time.....

·
Registered
2,625 Posts
Well Jim ! I have never ridden a valk so I can't compare. But I do ride a wing, the feeling, and power of the wing just lights me up everytime I twist that wrist ! Oh and do I love to do flybye's............Yeeee Ha
They can't hear you coming until you Bloooooooow bye ! What a rush !
The compliments I get from people that admire the bike really makes me feel good. And to really top it off ? Those Harley riders just shake there heads when I put her in Reverse......LOL Ya gota love it.. :yes2:
Now ask me how I really feel about my Silver Rocket ?

·
Registered
307 Posts
The fact that you asked the question on a GL1800 board shows that you want to hear that you should go for the new Goldwing. And that is what I say :!: Go for the Wing :wink: Theee is so much more you can do on thet bike, plus you will love every minute of it.

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
What Rick M said.... :shock: Get the Wing!!

The FASTEST :yw1: Wing

·
Chard Member
13,219 Posts
No doubt I would have kept my Valk Interstate if I did less than 15,000 miles a year.

I enjoyed that bike more than I have enjoyed any, including my 1800. It was just fun to own and ride. The Valk just has a personality, it will do anything the Wing will do. I actually liked looking at the Valk, I still do!

Good Luck....

·
Registered
287 Posts
And that is what I say :!: Go for the Wing :wink:

Jim, :rw1:

There is no question about it, :rw1: Go for the Wing. :rw1: But you must buy a Red wing, :rw1: they are Faster. :rw1:

:coolit: :rw1: :croc:

·
Chard Member
13,219 Posts
loren said:
the wing is much more comfy and smoother.
loren
I'm curious Loren, how did you have your Valk Interstate set up? Did you have any custom springs or a seat on it. Did you have pipes on yours? Which tires did you run on your's? The Avons made the Valk handle like it was on rails.

I could do a 800 mile day on the Valk Int as easy as I can on the 1800 Wing. The Corbin fit me well on the Valk. I only put about 50,000 miles on my Valks in less than two years. I've put about the same on my 1800's. You can put more luggage in the saddlebags of the Valk also.

FYI....The drivetrain of the Valk is smoother than the 1800 Wing! The Valk Int had two solid mount and two rubber mounts in the engine. I could sit on a Valk all day just like I can on the 1800. Both have/had custom seats.

Just curious Loren. What was wrong with the Valk(s) you owned?

Jim.....How many miles have you put on your Interstate?

TIA.....

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
Jim, I'm selling my prized - and decked out - Vstar 1100 because I can't keep both bikes right now either. As much as I love the Vstar, it's really not a contest. If I can only have one it's the Wing... without a doubt. My wife and I rented a Wing for a 400 mile day ride and that was it. I bought my Wing out of state and rode it over 930 miles home in a day and a half. I didn't want to get off the bike. It really is an incredible machine.

·
Registered
824 Posts
dkwinger said:
Jim, I'm selling my prized - and decked out - Vstar 1100 because I can't keep both bikes right now either. As much as I love the Vstar, it's really not a contest. If I can only have one it's the Wing... without a doubt. My wife and I rented a Wing for a 400 mile day ride and that was it. I bought my Wing out of state and rode it over 930 miles home in a day and a half. I didn't want to get off the bike. It really is an incredible machine.
dkwinger,

What took you so long to get home? Did you break down? Run out of gas and have to push it the last 100 miles? :twisted:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I bought the Valk/Int. in May 2001 from the dealership in Riverside, CA as brand new even though it was 1999 model.

I have a little over 15,000 miles on it.

As soon as I sell it I'll buy a 04 GL1800 w/ABS. I need to decide between RED or BLACK. That's all...

Jim

·
Registered
1,684 Posts
I took my time, Darryl. :D
There's an overnight motel stay and some sight seeing in there too. I also didn't push the speed at all, or use the cruise control, since it was a brand new, zero miles bike. I'm sure it would have been fine, but I didn't want to push it.
Though I have ridden scores of 300-500 miles days on my cruiser, I really didn't know how I'd feel on the Wing after a long day on the slab. Turns out I can double that mileage VERY easily and still want to keep going.
Boy, I love this bike. Can ya tell? :p

·
Registered
823 Posts
I had a Valk interstate and traded it for a 1800 wing. I would never go back to the Valk, to me the GoldWing is so far ahead of the Valk it's hard to even put the too in the same catagory. To me the Valk looks and even rides more like a Electra Glide. If I could have afforded it I would have kept the Valk as a toy but If you can only have one go with the wing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I really enjoyed my Valk Interstate and would like to have kept it and done the "Super" Valk conversion. Its a shame Honda chose not to update the Valk with the 1800cc motor and fuel injection. The Valk and the Wing are two very different motorcycles. The Valk is a cruiser and the Wing, while fitting the luxury tourer category, rides like a sport tourer. To me, the Wing is more versatile, if you want to go fast and "strafe" the corners, it does a fine job, if you want to take your time and "cruise" it does that. It looks good, sounds much better than its predecessor and accelerates even better than the Valk. In the end, you have to decide what you want to do with your motorcycle.

·
Registered
446 Posts
JIM, . . . . I don't understand! What do you mean you definitely can't have both?? That question has never stopped a woman from buying another pair of shoes! Man was meant to ride motorcycles, LOTS of motorcycles! My wife and I own 7 right now, and are looking for a new ST1300 for her! Just can't seem to sell the bikes we replace with new ones. What a country! :unclesmile: :biker:

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
What I mean is my WALLET not allowing me to have both :cry:

My wife loves the idea if we could have 2, 3 or even 4 bikes.

By the way do you guys know anyone who's looking for a nice Valkyrie Interstate?

Jim

1 - 20 of 23 Posts